Tree Damage From Crop Spraying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Herbicide (site of action) Active Ingredient Formulated Product Remarks** dicamba (4) Xtend Soybean Only 0.5 lb Engenia 12.8 ozs. XtendiMax 22 ozs. Tavium 56.5 ozs
Applicators must take dicamba-specific training and be a certified applicator. In addition to label requirements, the following best management practices are recommended by UT to minimize off-target movement. UT research suggests that dicamba-based herbicides are more prone to off-target movement as temperature increases. Best management practices to minimize drift are to only apply if the expected high air temperature of the day is less than 85 F or before June 15 whichever is more restrictive. UT research also suggests that tankmixing glyphosate with these low-volatile dicamba formulations will lower the solution pH which can result in increased dicamba emissions. Despite many applicators’ best efforts with applications, drift has apparently occurred with these products in multiple directions from treated fields independent of wind direction. Do not apply if sensitive crops or plants are in adjacent fields. Also, labels must be followed with great attention to detail. Spraying at night, wrong nozzles, off-label wind speed, excessive boom height, the addition of AMS to spray mixture, etc. could increase chances for off-target movement. The current labeled cutoff for dicamba applications in Xtend soybean is June 30 or R1 growth stage. Tavium a premix of XtendiMax and Dual Magnum has a more restrictive label than XtendiMax. Refer to the label or websites for more restrictions and information. Tankmixes with these three herbicides may antagonize glyphosate and/or clethodim grass control.
https://extension.tennessee.edu/publications/documents/pb1580.pdf
I didn't see 2-4-D mentioned in that manual.

Since you like to read online here is some
https://www.ruralking.com/catalog/product/view/id/22686 Looks like some in middle TN but now according to you I am a liar

It is IN STOCK in
Crossville TN
Maryville TN
Sweetwater TN
Knoxville TN
Glasgow KY
Now I am calling you a liar. "No stores found within 200 miles"
That is as far as Atlanta GA, Knoxville TN, just shy of Memphis, and Paducah KY.
Go soak yourself.

Now I am calling you a liar. "No stores found within 200 miles"
That is as far as Atlanta GA, Knoxville TN, just shy of Memphis, and Paducah KY.
Go soak yourself.
Well since you do not post a location and you have mentioned middle Tennessee I used Crossville TN as a central location. It appears that Crossville is in middle TN. If not where is it? As for posting insults I guess if that works for you sobeit but generally does not add to a persons credibility

Lets use Murfreesboro TN
Here are some https://www.ruralking.com/storelocator/index/index#

Or a few right in Murfreesboro
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/s...pply&utm_content=Tractor Supply Company Brand
It seems to be in stock https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/amine 400?

It occurred to me last night while talking to a friend why this hit me so hard.

I've always felt safe here, on my little oasis out in the country where neighbors look out for each other, but respect space, too.
Where crime is virtually non-existent, and if I didn't see it online, or read it in the paper, I wouldn't know it existed at all.
Where I've cultivated the land and nurtured nature and the land and Nature has nurtured me for 29 years.
A perfect symbiosis.

And then one day, literally, out of the blue, a toxic cloud descends upon me and decimates the things I care most about in this world. And it's hard to look at it every day and wonder if it all will recover.
I know I won't. I will always, from now on, look up in the sky whenever I see farmers spraying and wonder what kind of toxic brew is liable to descend on me.... "it is no fault of the farmer. And no fault of the chemical company. It just happens." That is no consolation. And is not acceptable.

I know a lot of you think I'm being silly about this, but I'm not.
I'm being sensitive and there's a world of difference.

For those who live in a state where 75% of the land is farmland, and trees are defined as weeds, and children likely live years without even seeing a tree, and where agriculture and chemicals are king, I pity you.

For those who live in a state where 75% of the land is farmland, and trees are defined as weeds, and children likely live years without even seeing a tree, and where agriculture and chemicals are king, I pity you.
How was breakfast this morning? Did you have some eggs, milk, toast, cereal gosh forbid bacon or sausage. Did you put some strawberries or other fruit in your cereal or enjoy some good coffee? How about some nuts have any of those?

I got the impression from the inspector that the farmers possibly were sold the ester, maybe not aware it was an ester and different from what they had been using, because of a possible shortage of the regular stuff.
Idk.
On the bright side, business will be booming for all the local nurserymen should everything die off as a result of the farmers spraying. :nofunny:
There is indeed a supply side issue impacting the price and availability of pesticides and fertilizer locally. A local hazelnut farmer told me that glyphosate prices have tripled since the last harvest and even at that price availability is lacking. Situations like this may have pushed farmers to use alternatives on their crops, but that's no excuse for undertaking a risky application. Then again their crop isn't just something pretty in a yard, it's their livelihood and they face risks from the weather and banks due to capitol intense undertaking.

There is indeed a supply side issue impacting the price and availability of pesticides and fertilizer locally. A local hazelnut farmer told me that glyphosate prices have tripled since the last harvest and even at that price availability is lacking. Situations like this may have pushed farmers to use alternatives on their crops, but that's no excuse for undertaking a risky application. Then again their crop isn't just something pretty in a yard, it's their livelihood and they face risks from the weather and banks due to capitol intense undertaking.
There is no doubt there have been supply side issues at some times and most definitely price issues. The supply issues are sporadic and generally short term. Things that were not available in March have ZERO effect on availability today. Now that is regarding a product that CAN be produced such as a chemical. A input like seed is a entirely different issue. There has been a shortage of triticale seed and of course it has not improved as you must wait for it to be grown. So there will not be spring triticale seed until 2023 and there should be fall triticale this fall.

As for the price of glyphosate your information is spot on from what I see here. On Saturday I just finished a 30 gallon barrel that I paid a touch over $11/gallon for so $333. The current price on that barrel is $999.99 from the same source. It is exactly what you said triple. The amine and triclopyr I bought Friday had not went up as much but pricloram sure has

I guess you should sue the cook for burning it. That still did not answer my question of what did you eat? You say organic that is great. How was it fertilized?
I have no idea, but since it wasn't fertilizer that damaged my property, it's really not my concern at the moment.

I'm not getting into a pissing match with you over farming in general because I know next to nothing about it... and since you are from IL, I'm guessing you're either a farmer, or work for some business, or government agency associated with the farming industry.
https://www2.illinois.gov/sites/agr/About/Pages/Facts-About-Illinois-Agriculture.aspx
However, your apparent stance on what happened to my property and you're justifying that incident because people need to eat is despicable, imo.

You may have the right to farm for a living, but you do not have the right to poison my property in the process.

However, your apparent stance on what happened to my property and you're justifying that incident because people need to eat is despicable, imo.

You may have the right to farm for a living, but you do not have the right to poison my property in the process.
Please post ANY comments that I have made that state ANYTHING about:
1) My stance on what happened to your property
2) Me justifying it in anyway
3) My right to poison your property

If you are going to make accusations they need to be based in truth and supported by facts

I'm not getting into a pissing match with you over farming in general because I know next to nothing about it... and since you are from IL, I'm guessing you're either a farmer, or work for some business, or government agency associated with the farming industry.
Here is a fact for you. As I type this I am having to wait on a Illinois "government official" to come out a deal with an environmental issue caused by urban sprawl and sheer laziness from a Iowa resident. I am taking time out of my Sunday to DO THE RIGHT THING.

Here is a fact for you. As I type this I am having to wait on a Illinois "government official" to come out a deal with an environmental issue caused by urban sprawl and sheer laziness from a Iowa resident. I am taking time out of my Sunday to DO THE RIGHT THING.
What "government official" works on Sundays?
What's the "environmental issue" - neighbor not mowing his yard to your satisfaction?

"TCE is a cancer-causing chemical that, over time, turns into vinyl chloride and DCE, dichloroethylene. They become vapors and can seep into homes. Records reported to the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency in 1990 reveal dichloroethylene was found on Harper's street.

"It's an uncurable (sic) disease," said Harper, who believes the chemicals caused her cancer.

She says dozen of neighbors on her street have had cancer, even died from it, through the years.

"I would say 30 that I know of," said Harper."
https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/new...d-outdoors-near-neighborhood-people-fell-ill/

Back