Tree Damage From Crop Spraying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No liberal friends, no spouse with liberal friends = pure bliss.
:havingarest:

You didn't answer me - what makes you think I have liberal friends?
Just like you never answered me in post 416. It is a simple set of questions regarding YOUR WORDS but you will not answer them.

I like glyphosate since it’s so safe…but I put a spray bar of the back of the rtv and spray the crap out of everything!!!!
Nothing wrong with roundup. I sprayed 3 tanks a few nights ago but it was old and had been frozen many times so it is not looking very effective. I am using up some very old chemicals and I will gladly elaborate later if anyone is interested. My main complaint with roundup is how SLOW it is to act. It might be that I mix it too weak but I never get a very good kill for a long time.With a good shot of 2-4-D you can see wilting very quick. Also currently Amine is running about $19/gallon where generic glyphosate is $40/gallon. What concentration level are you using that works for you? It is mostly all 41% but what concentration are you mixing at? (ounces/gallon) As for a spray bar that is fine for some places but I am spraying fences and areas that I cut this winter. I high stumped a lot of it and did not get back and flush the area so I cannot drive through a lot of it. I have already popped several tires. I have to be able to spray from the seat. Later I will be using a long hose and walking a lot of areas.

Nothing wrong with roundup. I sprayed 3 tanks a few nights ago but it was old and had been frozen many times so it is not looking very effective. I am using up some very old chemicals and I will gladly elaborate later if anyone is interested. My main complaint with roundup is how SLOW it is to act. It might be that I mix it too weak but I never get a very good kill for a long time.With a good shot of 2-4-D you can see wilting very quick. Also currently Amine is running about $19/gallon where generic glyphosate is $40/gallon. What concentration level are you using that works for you? It is mostly all 41% but what concentration are you mixing at? (ounces/gallon) As for a spray bar that is fine for some places but I am spraying fences and areas that I cut this winter. I high stumped a lot of it and did not get back and flush the area so I cannot drive through a lot of it. I have already popped several tires. I have to be able to spray from the seat. Later I will be using a long hose and walking a lot of areas.
It is very slow to act but I like it better for taking saplings down in my timbered areas. I just use generic stuff at recommended mix since hotter mixes don’t seem to do any better and I turn the end nozzles into the woods and drive my trails. I spray wand like you do too, it’s hard keeping up with it all.

It is amazing how fast it works though when the fertilizer company sprays it as a burn down. You should see the winter cover crop they sprayed

As a licensed and certified arborist I wasn't able to harvest samples of injury for my client, to be submitted for analysis. We had to get the pathologist from the extension service to gather the evidence. So I don't understand how the plaintiff is able to do so.
Are you in the middle TN area?
I'd like to get a certified arborist to come out and look at the trees.
Please send me a PM if you're interested in the job.

I'm in Northeast Tennessee, trying to wind down my consulting work load. It's unfortunate that Tennessee seems to be lacking good arborists. Big part of the problem is the misinformed customer accepting destructive tree care practices.
I'm between Chattanooga and Nashville. Do you know of anyone in this area?
I tracked down, sort of, that arborist from the forestry department who came out and looked at my holly way back when. He went back to PA and killed himself over a girl. :( Such a tragedy. I only met him the one time but he left an impression, a very sensitive, kind, and caring person.
I did a local search online and there's one that works for the utility company, but I just have a feeling he would know more about taking trees down than their health.
Do you have that link that I've seen posted here before for certified arborists?

Good luck on you upcoming retirement.
I'm loving mine. :)

Called Bartletts. I'm beyond their 100 mile service area.
Called my extension agent back for the name of a cert. arborist in our area. He's out sick today.
Looked here
https://www.treesaregood.org/And called the one closest to me, no answer, left message. Tried another, no answer, left message
And another one who was very nice, but said he now works for a utility company and doesn't have time to do more.

:(
More waiting...

It is amazing how fast it works though when the fertilizer company sprays it as a burn down. You should see the winter cover crop they sprayed
The last Roundup I used literally worked over-night.
My daughter was moving, and had it in her garage. It was Roundup PreMix Refill.

Pick up a jug of 1.5 Gallon pre-mixed Roundup Refill,, and read the ingredients.
I can not remember the exact percentages, but, the mix is like 2% glyphosate,, and 2% of some "acid".
I Googled the second ingredient,, is is some adder that makes glyphosate act VERY quickly,,
Everything I sprayed was starting to die the next morning.

I could not find that second ingredient for sale as a separate item,,

And, when I back-calculated the mix, it had 6 ounces of 41% glyphosate per gallon.
I think the normal recommendation is 2 ounces per gallon??

Roundup charges a high price for the pre-mix,, but, they sure have the chemicals in the jug.

AND,, then there is the way that I discovered to SUPERCHARGE Roundup, or 2,4D,,

Back when, there was the story about the poor country girl that had the most beautiful hair.
Her trick was that she washed her hair in the rainwater barrel next to the house.
The rainwater was so "soft" it made her hair more beautiful than well water or "city" water.

Catch a 5 gallon bucket of rainwater the next time it rains.
Then, take your favorite soap (it does not matter which kind) and wash your hands with the water in your home water system.
Repeat the hand washing with the rainwater, and notice how much more lather the rainwater creates.
I first experienced this at my sisters house, she captured rainwater to water her flowers.
One day, I used the water to wash my hands,, after washing, you could almost not wash away the "soapy" feeling.
That was because the water was so soft (no minerals).

I tested my rainwater at least a dozen times last summer, it is 7.0 pH,, and almost 0 ppm of anything such as minerals.

The rainwater is so very "soft" that the water will "wet" the plants that it is sprayed on.

Almost all household water has some dissolved minerals, the minerals makes the water "hard".
Hard water will bead up on a plant.

Adding soap to the water helps the mix to wet to the plant,
but, rainwater with soap will WET the plant much better.

When I spray glyphosate that I have mixed from the 41% concentrate, I use rainwater, and DAWN Dish Soap.
You can easily see the difference in how rainwater completely covers the plant.

Why pay all that $$$ for the chemicals, and skip the "free" rainwater enhancement??

Hay is on the ground so I am sure she will rain now

Hey Hugger have not heard from ya. How are the trees/plants looking now after time has passed

I'm wishing I had been able to keep my job instead of retiring so I could afford to move out of this toxic "oasis."
As for the vegetation, it's not recovered either.
If you did not want to retire why did you? No one can be forced to retire as long as they are upright and above ground

Latest posts

Back