Tree Damage From Crop Spraying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Idk of any annual plants that die in the middle of June... fall and winter, yes. Middle of June? No.
But, apparently some wheat grasses do.

Those are large foxtails. There are many different species, and I don't know them all.

Yes, they turn brown as soon as the seed head has matured, as there is no point in keeping it green.

Those are large foxtails. There are many different species, and I don't know them all.

Yes, they turn brown as soon as the seed head has matured, as there is no point in keeping it green.
Yes indeed, just like all annuals, hence the name annual...............The cycle of life moves on. It is the reason we have double-cropping

I'm inclined to think pecan scab, but your pictures aren't too clear, and the pattern doesn't quite look right. Your lesions look larger and more singular, whereas the pecan scab pictures I have seen look blotchy all over.

Better pictures would help.

Has your tree produced any nuts yet? Look close on the fruit and twigs for signs of disease, also.

My description for pecan scab says this: "With time the lesions increase in size and become blackened and sunken in appearance. Lesions crack as the leaves expand"

That doesn't sound like too close a match.

Let's try Pecan Phylloxera.

This is a gall insect that produces raised lesions on the leaves, much like what you are seeing. What doesn't match, however, is the blackened appearance. Galls are the growth stimulated by the parasitic insect, and they are usually light green or pale. I have seen a few photos that were darkened, but none as black as what you are showing.

You should start a separate thread in homeowner helper on this topic. You'll get some folks with quite a bit more expertise than my own.

Good idea on the Homeowner Help section. @Raintree might know what it is.

If I start a thread, can you move some of these posts over there, or should I just copy the links?

No. Moderators can only move entire threads.
The best approach is to quote yourself on a new thread elsewhere, then everything gets linked.

BTW: I summoned Raintree with the inclusion of the @ sign. We'll see how that works.

No, never did see them live. Wish I had. Too old for that kind of crowd now. :p
Well you were not too old when they toured many times in the USA. I have seen them live on tour, best shows ever. A few years ago I wanted to get tickets for my beautiful ex-wife and youngest boy to attend but that time the only scheduled dates were in Australia and I cannot afford that. I see now 2022 and 2023 are in Europe. I am a full fledged country music man but the 80"s rock is some of the best. As I type this that is what my radio is set too (but I have to admit it is 80's soft rock) What can I say I am a sucker for love songs. I miss my beautiful wife

No, never did see them live. Wish I had. Too old for that kind of crowd now. :p
Just how old are ya and just how old ya think the average AC/DC concert attendee is? I can assure you they are not asss crack showing, baggy pants, deeew rag head covered, crack smokers. They are good upstanding professional folks just like the majority of Harley "hog" riders. Good salt of the earth hard working folks

sheeese too old, what a load of baloney

Big Pharma, including Bayer and Monsanto are evil.
But, that's okay, I understand you may do business with those companies and rely on their products to stay in business. May be a necessary evil, but just the same, evil.
You haven't been violated and you aren't watching 2 1/2 acres of mature trees and other vegetation shrivel up and die a slow and agonizing death from a (presumed) direct result of chemical poisoning.
Holding somebody liable will not reverse the damage done to my trees.
Saying "move on" or, "get over it" does not come from a place of sympathy, or compassion.

Hopefully, the damage is only temporary and I will be able to get over it and move on. Only time will tell, but in the meantime it is agonizing to see everything in my yard that I have worked so hard to cultivate for 29 years be completely decimated. And the thought of possibly losing any of it is unbearable.

I don't expect you to know how I feel, and that's okay.
I do appreciate the info you have shared with me.
I can see that the affected trees are important to you and would like compensation if they do die, but I think the bigger picture is it shouldn't happen regardless of if they bounce back. It should be about them knowing what's happened and how to make sure it won't happen again. Over here the government's agricultural agencies almost have a fervent vigour for charging orchards and farms for improper use of chemicals. The fear of dealing with them is usually enough to make sure every obligational measure has been taken. Doesn't mean the underpaid tractor driver that's having a bad day's necessarily going to have the same fear of the repercussions though.

I think I found it... I was thinking galls and googled brown galls on pecan leaves and this came up:

Pecan Phylloxera

Is that what they are?

:)
I looked that up and seems to be what you have. We don't have many pecan trees this far north.but I do have 1 in my yard. I'm always watching for pests and diseases on it. The only bug I found was the pecan spittlebug and from what I read they weren't really a concern

.........................Also notified the water department of when I began watering my property and why I'm doing it. I asked them if they could cut me some slack and was handed their policy on price breaks, "they don't give breaks for watering the lawn" she said. And I added, "For any reason?" and she said "Yes." I also have documentation where three separate fire departments refused to offer assistance.....................
I assume you have rural water there then. We do not have that on the Illinois side of the river where I am. They may elsewhere. I know I owned some ground years ago in southeast Iowa that was part of the Lake Rathbun rural water system. It seemed like a very odd concept at the time but I am sure it has it's advantages with one major one being lower iron content. I just could not see how it would be cost effective to run all those lines hundreds of miles up and down hills and ravines

Back