Tree Damage From Crop Spraying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I don't remember as that was nearly 20 yrs ago. I have been very ever since not to buy the Ester version.

Currently here I have no early soybeans fields. They just harvested the wheat fields but it is too hot to spray 2-4D here but they are planting soybeans in those fields. With being so dry I don't know how the seeds are going to sprout. The field next to me is in corn this year. Cotton last year. Probably be in soybeans next year.

The farmer not too bright as he tried draining the end next to me into a ditch higher than his field. The solution to me would be to fill in the area but of course that will back up the water on me. Either that or get the state to clean out the ditch and the crossover drain. But of course the state will not get off their tailfeathers and fix my drainage problem either. They need to install a crossover drain at the intersection to prevent the water backup that is flooding the intersection during heavy rains. I reckon it will take some woman getting killed before they do anything.

I haven't read this whole thread but 2,4-D isn't all that bad when properly used. Now there are two versions of it. An Ester version and an Amine version. The Ester version is a lot more volatile and tends to gas off and drift at much lower temperature. It is a heavy gas so hangs low to the ground. Even the Amine version must use when temperatures stay below 80F the first week after spraying to prevent unwanted broadleaf plant damage.

I flat refuse to use the Ester version because I was sold that stuff by my local County Farmers Coop without any warnings and damage my fruit trees.

Just note all herbicides are dangerous when not used properly.

I'd like to mention that you should have read the label on the stuff you bought. They are very specific about weather conditions, inclusive of temperature and wind speed and direction. The local Coop didn't give you any warnings because it is your job as applicator to read the label.

Legally, the dealer (your Coop) cannot tell you anything different from what the label says.

I am a plant research technician for Corteva in Johnston IA and work in a lab. There is a lot molecular biology/science behind the seeds that go into the ground. There is a field side (seed/chemical sales, agronomy services etc) and a lab side (sequencing, protein analysis, molecular characterization etc)
I work in the lab side.

Fort Dodge is my hometown and Boehringer Ingelheim is no longer there. Elanco now owns the vet pharmaceuticals in FD

...Of course there's always the possibility that the guy at the co-op didn't give him what he asked for.
Idk.
That is a ridiculous conclusion/statement.
The applicator has a responsibility to KNOW what they are doing, and the EPA approved label is the final word on how to know how that product should be used. If it isn't in the label, specifically explained, then you can't do it using that product.

That's why the labels are long and difficult to read, which isn't an excuse for not doing what the law requires.

NOTE: Read the label on a 2,4-D ester herbicide here: http://www.keystonepestsolutions.com/labels/24D_LV4.pdf
Please note that there are lots of brands, and that "ester" component can be different in many ways while still remaining as a 2,4-D compound.

I tried to pull the label on any product with 2,4,5-T in it, but couldn't dig one up. Apparently that has been banned in the USA and Canada for over 35 years.

That crossed my mind, but didn't want to say it.
The main point was he was sold something he wasn't used to using and it didn't perform up to expectations. ...

In the same way that applicators must be licensed and follow the rules in certain situations, so too must the dealers for herbicides. Now I'm not a dealer, and I haven't studied the rules. Bottom line is this, however: in order to sell herbicides regulated by the EPA, there are rules about record keeping and what products may be sold to whom and in what quantities. How said herbicides must be stored. Etc...

I'm pretty sure that if he bought an ester formulation in sufficient quantity to damage an orchard, he bought enough product so that the jug it came with had a proper EPA label attached, and that he didn't read it carefully. Even if he never had an applicator's license and wasn't even expected to have one for his particular application.

That is a ridiculous conclusion/statement.
The applicator has a responsibility to KNOW what they are doing, and the EPA approved label is the final word on how to know how that product should be used. If it isn't in the label, specifically explained, then you can't do it using that product.
I agree totally but some just want to blame,blame,blame...... I guess it is easier for some to blame a big corporation or to think it is a huge conspiracy to defraud and injure. The simple fact is the chemicals in question have used by millions of people on millions of acres for in some cases more than 50 years. I thought she might react to the pictures I posted but I guess not

That's not true at all. And you know it.
No, I don't. I have often called you out specifically for rudeness.

You have trouble dealing with anyone who challenges your authority on a subject... and it really bothers you when it comes from a strong-willed woman.
I have no authority on any "subject", but you challenge me on nearly every post. Your gender is irrelevant; this is the internet.

You appear to be one of those men who feel their masculinity threatened when a woman doesn't kowtow to their every word.
My masculinity isn't threatened by anything anyone does, anywhere, or at any time. I think you are so emotionally adverse, that you see threats in every statement, and are well known for your slash & burn rhetoric.

Btw, you have yet to apologize for bashing me about the sawzall.
I said nothing rude to you at all for which I should apologize. Nor even slightly incorrect, either.
...Now I won't say any more on the topic either. :yes: That is, unless you won't let it go
You are even worse than me about not dropping a subject, and that's saying a lot. I however, don't have as vicious a streak as yourself. How many people did you say that you have put on ignore?

One less than I want to.

Bullies have a way of bringing out the worst in me. ST was one, you're another.
You stop being so offensive with me and I won't have to be defensive.
Simple as that.
No one is being offensive with you! It is high time you bought a mirror and took a look in it. That is not an offensive statement it is simply the truth. Since you have me on "ignore" you will not even see this but others will. You have been given very good advice by many good members here that have countless years of REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE but you choose to ignore them and take tidbits of information you read on the internet. If you look at your first posts in this thread you will see your attitude come out in a very negative way. The world is NOT OUT TO GET YOU so stop treating folks like it is. Stop the pity party and listen to what folks say. You may have two hands to type with but you also have two ears to listen with and two eyes to see with ( well I have one) but you do not see me whining about it

I have a question, or two, or three for you about the seeds...

If a weed in the bean field gets hit with the herbicide, but doesn't die, that weed is from that point on resistant to the herbicide, right? What about the seeds that weed produces, will they be resistant also?

If so, then wouldn't the seeds from the veggie plants in my garden that got hit by the herbicide, but didn't die and went on to produce, also be resistant to the herbicide?

Does this resistance carry on to future generations of seed?

How do you manufacture herbicide resistant seeds for farming in the lab?

:)
Here's a link on how herbicide resistance occurs in weeds. https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/how-does-herbicide-resistance-occur See my next post.

I've become a victim!! I planted sweet corn 6 rows about 2 weeks ago on the lower side of the cell tower site we have on our property. Have planted various crops there for years. I sprayed it with my normal weed control spray. It started to emerge nicely. About a week ago we had a torrential downpour. I went out the next morning and saw that the rain had washed down through the outside edge of the last row of corn. Monday morning I noticed some of the corn turning brown. I was kind of second guessing myself that I might of had some spray overlap (overdosed). Yesterday I was walking by the cell tower and noticed that the weeds inside of the tower fence were brown. Apparently the company that does property maintenance for the cell co. had been there. I found the tag they attach to the fence to prove they had been there. It's dated and has there name on it. They had sprayed a few days before the rain and apparently the residue was washed off the stones and weeds and ran into my corn patch. I contacted the company and got the list/label's of the herbicides they used. I really didn't lose much corn but I now have to be concerned about the residual effects of when and what I can plant in that area in the next year. This was kind of a freak occurrence due to the timing of when they sprayed and when we had such a heavy rain. I'm going to be calling the cell tower Co to request that only certain herbicides be used to control weeds in the future.

If a weed in the bean field gets hit with the herbicide, but doesn't die, that weed is from that point on resistant to the herbicide, right?
No, it’s not like that. The individual plant has a certain degrees of herbicide...call it tolerance...which does not change.
What about the seeds that weed produces, will they be resistant also?
No.
If so, then wouldn't the seeds from the veggie plants in my garden that got hit by the herbicide, but didn't die and went on to produce, also be resistant to the herbicide?
No
Does this resistance carry on to future generations of seed?
No
How do you manufacture herbicide resistant seeds for farming in the lab?
You can do it in your garden. Let’s use glyphosate.

Plant a huge patch of tomato plants, wide variety of types, seeds from different brands. And several types of tomatoes from the market too. Several hundred plants.
Let them grow to about 5 inches tall.
Make a VERY weak solution of glyphosate. I mean really, really weak. Spray all the plants. The aim is to spray them all about evenly, but only enough to kill about 50% of the plants. Be careful not to kill them all. Did I say to make the spray weak? Oh, good. Like, 1/100 normal strength.
Let the rest live, and collect the fruit.
Plant this fruit next season.
Repeat. For 30 years.

In each cycle, the strength of the glyphosate needed to kill 50% of the plants will be slightly higher. In 30 years, you’ll likely be staying close to normal strength, which would have killed 100% of the first generation. But now, it doesn’t. You have your own version of roundup ready tomatoes. Be careful you haven’t also made some roundup ready weeds too.

Or buy the ones they make in the lab. It’s...in simple terms....the same approach. Vastly accelerated by VERY, VERY clever people.

Someone who isn’t in your bad books might repost this for you.

Well they did sell the wrong product and I didn't notice it was the Ester version. I was use to using the Amine salt version. They just said it was the same product that I asked for. Once I found out it was the wrong product I got rid of it from my stores.

BTW, Some of the Coop personnel are barely able to find their way to work at times. I can no longer trust tell to tell me the correct info when I ask them for advice on a product so I got go through the whole booklet of info on the container now before purchasing a product.

And the link to low vol label just says high temperature but does not specify what they consider high temperature. And that is important to even us homeowners. Since broadcast spray my lawn I use low drift tips and a lower pressure to prevent fogging. I hate wild garlic and plantain in the lawn. Now I working on the crabgrass in the Spring startup.

Besides the local farmers are quick to blame you on their crop damages. I had one that double applied a growth regulator on a section of a cotton field. I was home both times. When cotton didn't produce boles he jump me about 2,4-D use which I hadn't even spray that year. There was no need for it. And I told him what happen. He went back and check his records and he never came back.

Then another sprayed his cotton with something in high winds that took out all my apple fruit trees. Boy was I pissed but he paid for the replacement trees and didn't spray like that again in the 20 yrs I was there.

I've become a victim!! I planted sweet corn 6 rows about 2 weeks ago on the lower side of the cell tower site we have on our property. Have planted various crops there for years. I sprayed it with my normal weed control spray. It started to emerge nicely. About a week ago we had a torrential downpour. I went out the next morning and saw that the rain had washed down through the outside edge of the last row of corn. Monday morning I noticed some of the corn turning brown. I was kind of second guessing myself that I might of had some spray overlap (overdosed). Yesterday I was walking by the cell tower and noticed that the weeds inside of the tower fence were brown. Apparently the company that does property maintenance for the cell co. had been there. I found the tag they attach to the fence to prove they had been there. It's dated and has there name on it. They had sprayed a few days before the rain and apparently the residue was washed off the stones and weeds and ran into my corn patch. I contacted the company and got the list/label's of the herbicides they used. I really didn't lose much corn but I now have to be concerned about the residual effects of when and what I can plant in that area in the next year. This was kind of a freak occurrence due to the timing of when they sprayed and when we had such a heavy rain. I'm going to be calling the cell tower Co to request that only certain herbicides be used to control weeds in the future.
We had similar to happen in Alabama when the local county start spraying the roadsides. They didn't account for the runoff and did a lot damage to river's system. Plants died and fish caught out the rivers had large sores along some dying. I even was fishing one time when they across the river bridge spraying. I immediately had to take a dip upstream to wash off the spray. I went to county commissioner about. At first he said "We don't spray over water" but I said they did do it on that particular river. He since corrected the problem by making sure his sprayers know better. Of course he is now retired and I have moved away so it is someone else's responsibility now.

Put up the list and I can advise. That's the kind of herbicides that I use all the time. I even do some cellular tower sites, although they don't tell me what to put down. They only care about the results.

Can you do that?? You have an agricultural business on your property, don't you? You raise produce for sale?
As a private individual I can't do that. I checked that online site, I forget what it's called, where you can identify your "farm" as a no-spray zone. Like beekeepers. Regular home-owners can't do that.

So, how will this affect what and when you can replant there?
I'm just going to request to the cell tower Co that in the future only certain spray may be used. Yes I raise produce for sale. Not sure how no spray zones vary from state to state.

Latest posts

Back