Tree help (from recent wind storm)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linestretch

Reaction score
We have what I think are Junipers in our backyard. We had a recent wind storm which did a number on 2 trees. One is leaning (almost on the ground) with the ground pushed up from the force...but not broken. The other is leaning a bit with the same issue....the ground around the base is moving. The one on the ground was about 15' high, the other is about 20'. I'd like to save them both and would like some advice on my idea below. I'm just a new home owner...so you might have to dumb terms down for me. And thanks for the help.

- the one that's almost on the ground. I'd like to cut off the higher portions of the tree (which I have already started on), and winch it back upright using an adjacent tree. My hopes are with the reduced upper weight gone....it can stabilize and keep on living
- the taller tree. I'd like to cut off the top 3rd and like above....hope the reduces upper weight will help stabilize it and it keep on living

Thoughts on this idea? Or is it best to just remove all of it. The taller tree is close to power lines that the city manages but the good thing is the wind almost always comes from the direction of the lines so if it's going to fall...it will be away from the lines.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 20220406_113842.jpg
    20220406_113842.jpg
    775.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220406_113853.jpg
    20220406_113853.jpg
    840 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220406_113903.jpg
    20220406_113903.jpg
    767.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Inked20220406_113829_LI.jpg
    Inked20220406_113829_LI.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
Nothing wrong with pulling the tree upright and anchoring it, go for it.
The taller tree looks to be way too close to the power lines for you to working on. Don't touch it, unless the power company gives you the OK.

I had some small junipers knocked loose like that from flood debris. I transplanted it without to much trouble or carefulness to my back yard. That was about eight years ago. It was 3 feet tall, today it's 12'. Hardy shrubs.

You’re going to need some heavy duty equipment to get those upright and the anchor lines will be there for a while. You will also need to top them first. Personally, I would cut up, dispose of them, and start over.

Back