Tree ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ETpilot

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
These trees are located in NE Pennsylvania. I have quite a few. I’d like to take then down. Need to ID. and are they good for firewood. Thanks.

5D3C34E4-587B-4A79-832B-72991533E869.jpeg1AC5DDE8-C7EC-404B-BDD6-2C3922B47CB5.jpegF7961F62-746D-4E7B-A98A-E9007C92951A.jpeg9BBA4497-79B4-4770-A4BF-62D79A40EDE1.jpeg

some type of cherry , cherry birch grows up that way . but it has reddish bark and smells like birch beer. any cherry is decent firewood

Is there any chance they might be an ornamental cherry? As the others say. the bark looks like cherry, but growth pattern and leaves don't look like what we normally see in the wild. If not cherry, maybe some other fruit tree; apple, crabapple, some thing in the prunus family, like plum? Likely it would be good firewood.

Leaves don't look like Cherry. Plus Cherry has a single trunk.

P.S. Well maybe I'm wrong.
Don't see many around here besides small black cherry and never heard of birch cherry so I looked it up. This literally was the second picture. Multi stem :) LOL! Not slapping on ya. Just thought it was funny.
bbcherry.jpeg

Thanks all for the replies. The pictures help. I will do a close up comparison. I’ll research the mentioned trees. I plan to transport my splitter up here. Lots of wood to buck and split. The leaves pictured are from this tree. I failed to mention that in OP. Thanks again.

Thanks all for the info. My wife stayed here for the winter-spring. She told me we have a Cherry tree which blossomed with white blooms and was loaded with sweet cherries. So I had her point it out to me. I compared the leaves to the old trees I needed ID on and they are the same. So they appear to be Cherry trees. Some still have good growth with dead limbs. I plan to cut the dead portion and try to save the growing tree. So I will have plenty of cherry firewood. I now hope I can save parts of these trees. As a side note we have plenty of Blueberry and BlackBerry trees here. This is going to be interesting.

Back