Tree ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ck0461

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Sorry for the horrible pick. I usually like to do my own research but I’m in the middle of moving and my books are packed up. Not much to go on, unknown leaves or fruit. Bark is rough and thin, I forgot to get a pic of a cross section.

Toss out some suggestions to get me started. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 37CDEFA9-6244-4921-9647-C9C1FF294EFF.jpeg
    37CDEFA9-6244-4921-9647-C9C1FF294EFF.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 38
  • A1A2D58F-97D9-4BE7-9C4C-C36C0152BE40.jpeg
    A1A2D58F-97D9-4BE7-9C4C-C36C0152BE40.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 39
Celtis

Your location could help...

North east, probably Hackberry Celtis occidentalis. (ironically, occidentalis, means "west"...but that name for the tree probably came from Europeans...so west of them, not west in the US).

South east, probable Sugarberry Celtis laevigata

There are probable some Asian species as well if you are in the "far east"...

Western Virginia, I won’t have anymore pics till I go cut up the two that fell. I wasn’t thinking of posting the pics when I took them. I usually look them up using memory and a quick pic but can’t access my books.

Thanks everyone! I agree with hackberry. The bark is pretty unique, I’m surprised I haven’t run across any of these, it’s one that I won’t forget.

Sorry for the horrible pick. I usually like to do my own research but I’m in the middle of moving and my books are packed up. Not much to go on, unknown leaves or fruit. Bark is rough and thin, I forgot to get a pic of a cross section.

Could be Elm of some kind. Maybe even Oak.

Hackberry. This is one of the bigger ones I've seen.

i'm going to say hackberry , most dont get that big, because they are about unsplitable, by hand. you let them grow till they just barely fit in your stove. it could also be what we call boxelder around here. but pretty sure its hackberry.

Back