Tree propping techniques

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcurbanloggers

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey all
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but thought I'd ask anyways. Does anyone here have a preferred technique for propping low, hard leaning stems and limbs. I have done extensive cabling and bracing, but have never propped. I'm imagining just using an A frame out of 4x4s, but does that need to be anchored to the ground somehow or placed on a wider base so it does not sink into the ground over time? What are your preferred methods? I know propping is not something many do often, but any insight is appreciated. I've poked around online for accepted standards with limited success.

Tree in question is a southern magnolia about 22in dbh with an extremely heavy lean. Poor tree is falling apart but home owner wants to keep it around until it is stone cold dead, so we are cabling and bracing all compromised limbs that we can.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Hey all
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but thought I'd ask anyways. Does anyone here have a preferred technique for propping low, hard leaning stems and limbs. I have done extensive cabling and bracing, but have never propped. I'm imagining just using an A frame out of 4x4s, but does that need to be anchored to the ground somehow or placed on a wider base so it does not sink into the ground over time? What are your preferred methods? I know propping is not something many do often, but any insight is appreciated. I've poked around online for accepted standards with limited success.

Tree in question is a southern magnolia about 22in dbh with an extremely heavy lean. Poor tree is falling apart but home owner wants to keep it around until it is stone cold dead, so we are cabling and bracing all compromised limbs that we can.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Good question! Nick has a good method here- starts toward the end at around 1:47:00

Before you undertake something like this, you need to address the CYA issues. Get a signed statement from the home owner that acknowledges the fact that you have explained the hazardous condition of the tree to him, that he assumes all responsibility for any and all liability arising from any failure of the tree for any reason, including whatever work you do on it, and, most importantly, that you will not be held responsible for anything that happens.

Before you undertake something like this, you need to address the CYA issues. Get a signed statement from the home owner that acknowledges the fact that you have explained the hazardous condition of the tree to him, that he assumes all responsibility for any and all liability arising from any failure of the tree for any reason, including whatever work you do on it, and, most importantly, that you will not be held responsible for anything that happens.
That's all typed out in my bid. This tree is not a hazard. When it does fail, it does not have any targets.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back