tree pusher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a old logger work with me Syvester. He told me he would put his cable as high as he could reach then have the skidder at an angle load it enough to lift one side of the skidder then cut away he could tell it was OK cause the skidder would set down. you hear of that or is old Syvester crazy:chainsaw:

Maybe a hydraulic spreading jack would work better? It would remove the horizontal stress and eliminate the need to climb.

I had a old logger work with me Syvester. He told me he would put his cable as high as he could reach then have the skidder at an angle load it enough to lift one side of the skidder then cut away he could tell it was OK cause the skidder would set down. you hear of that or is old Syvester crazy:chainsaw:

typically what we do it back the arch of the skidder all the way up to the tree, stand on top of the arch and loop the choker all the way around the tree(have heard of guys using extension ladders on them before)drive the skidder out away from the tree. set the tree up(make your cuts) and turn the skidder to the direction that u want to go to get away from the tree. the guy cutting signals the skidder guy to put tension on the tree(just a lil-i call this preloading, i do it whenever im wedging to-drive the wedges in to create tension and then cut the holding wood) and then the cutting cuts the holding wood and signals the skidder man to start pulling. (need to go kinda slow) and then when the tree breaks the plane and starts falling the skidder man releases the cable and drives right out from under the tree...tree falls right where skidder was...

or we will hook up the cable and pull at a slight angle from the notch...

push, pull, wedge i've pretty much done it.

Last edited:
Syvester was solo and he attached cable same as you, played it out long enough not to hit skidder. He spent a lifetime longing and we worked together about 3yrs Silvester was 72 black live through things that hard to imagine

Here's the cheaterjack website. It is hand operated. http://cheaterjack.com/

I can see how both these devices could work.....And how they'd be good for lifting a fallen tree off a structure, if the length was workable. The treepusher website shows them doing that with two units, triangulated off to the side.

That cheater jack would be useful but that tree pusher looks like a money pit.

Don't you think it would have been a good idea to back up that lifter with a plastic wedge, just in case it slipped on the trunk?

When ever I lift or pull trees I always make my back cut at an angle going down to the notch .It works to give the tree something to kick off.

yup..kick off right into your chin

No it works just fine it actuallyhelps it guide over.Regardless what you think I use it and it works for me and I will use what I know works to all thier own and for me that tree pusher is a waste of time and money.

im definitely not arguing with you about the tree pusher contraction, thingymajiger. y not cut the notch, bore out a hinge, leave holding wood in the back. drive in wedges to pre-load the tree and cut the holding wood=tree goes over and flat stump. an then if u need the tree to stay with the stump or jump off or it there are other options also.

as for the angled back cut...wait till the tree that you are cutting hit another on the way down and kicks back. right onto that angled back cut and off off of it right back at you. it is bad enough when it is just coming at you have u have to ride it out.

I don't have that problem as I usually am removing trees around houses,power and such with if any very few trees around.

I only use it on pull trees and who invited you?Did I ask for your opinion troll?Do yourself a favor and go fell a tree that has power and fence and a house and shed in its way while its sitting on a rind of wood.Traditional felling cuts won't work on something like the been there tried that.

I only use it on pull trees and who invited you?Did I ask for your opinion troll?Do yourself a favor and go fell a tree that has power and fence and a house and shed in its way while its sitting on a rind of wood.Traditional felling cuts won't work on something like the been there tried that.

haven't u only cut 100 trees???? or was it "no less than 100 trees"??

i realize that everybody has to start somewhere.....

I'm doing treework for a living now and like I said it is mostly climbing to remove them once in awhile I get to fell a tree.

It's not likely that you've "been there, tried that".

If you had you would be offering better advice.:buttkick:

Yes I have tried it thats why I don't do it.I do what I know how to do and thats it.I'm done argueing with you.

A search on "slanted backcut" will turn up a lot of useful info on that subject. They are common in this area, usually used by someone who has a (very) little experience and has seen or talked to someone else who has used it a few times to fell a tree with a favorable lean. Their sucess is in spite of and not because of the slanted b.c.
You will never see anyone that actually knows what they are doing use a slanted backcut.

Back