Tree saddle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pineclimber22

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi I’m 22 and have been climbing for about 6 months and I’ve been Trying to find the best saddle for comfort and back support I’ve been using the Petzl sequoia for a few months but it hurts my lower back pretty bad thanks in advance.ps price doesn't matter.😌

I think it is likely that the work is hurting your back more than the saddle is.

I can't advise you on different models of belts, but I believe that there are quite a few adjustments to the Petzl, right?
Consider posting a picture, front, back , and sides of you wearing the belt, particularly if you can do it hanging from the climbing line in position in the tree. Maybe another set just leaning back on the lanyard.

We might have some suggestions that could help with your fatigue/pain issues.

Thanks I really appreciate it I ended up adjusting the buckles and leg pads and it felt a lot better I’m still learning so my mistakes.lol

At 22, you probably are just working some new muscles, and overworking some because you aren't skilled at your positioning. Try setting a 2nd rope more often as a stabilizing force to help you for your cuts. Muscling through an awkward position will make your back hurt, and it usually puts you at much greater risk for mistakes. Bad cuts can end up being expensive and hurting you as well.

Yeah, that's a bit slower, but your back will thank you.

A little story: I was climbing an elm over a roof once, and it was real hot. 7/8ths of the tree was on the ground. The heat didn't bother me, I was used to it. Then I started getting weak, and I didn't feel right; kinda dizzy! I thought to myself, "I can finish this tree, then I'll relax. Just a few more cuts..."

And shortly thereafter, I badly misjudged a cut, and ripped the service line off their house. Then I spent the next 45 minutes on my back, drinking water and trying to recover from some heat exhaustion. It was 100% climber error: I was hurrying to get down, and I did it wrong as well. All the warning signs were there, I just wasn't paying attention. I had a tree to finish!

If your back is talking to you, you probably need to pay more attention to what it is telling you. Just sayin'.

Wow i really appreciate you sharing that I’ve definitely learned to slow down and take my time doing big removals which is also been helpful.thanks

don't underestimate the importance of stretching before and after work. You are using your body like an athlete... A professional athlete wouldn't think of not doing a cool down.

(I'm not saying I do stretch regularly when climbing...but I should. I do when I'm feeling tight or sore)

Latest posts

Back