Tree Spirits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huntaholic

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thread on here go me to thinking about this and I thought I would start a thread about it. Do any of yall believe some trees have a spirit? As a logger I certainly hope they don't but whos to say for sure. Ive ran across a few that I thought were out to get me that's for sure. I had a chestnut oak once that shot off the stump, flipped ends and the whole top ended up ALL around the stump! I also cut a wild cherry once that wasn't leaning hardly at all, perfect trunk, very little top. I swear to God that tree literally EXPLODED mid way up the trunk AS IT WAS FALLING and slabs, landed all around me! There wasn't anywhere to run so I just had to stand there and let it all happen. After it was all said and done, there wasn't a solid 8 ft section of that tree left.
Another one that comes to mind is a buddy of mine was building a house and at the time there was no public water so he had to drill a well. He had a "water witcher" come out and locate well spots. Witchers wife came with him but she sat in the truck. After they got done and were fixing to leave she looked at my buddy, pointed to a tree at the edge of his yard, and told him "you better cut that tree before you build your house, that tree is ANGRY!" MY buddy listened to her politely and promptly forgot all about that warning. After all, this tree was a chestnut oak about 48in across the stump and it was leaning down the hill at a very steep angle directly AWAY from his house. You guessed it, about the time he got the house dried in, that tree turned 180 degrees UPHILL and AWAY from the lean, and took the front porch off his new house!

Yes, I believe they do, in a manner of speaking. Although I can’t point to experiences such as you have described as evidence for why I’ve come to regard them as I would any other creatures. We humans just don’t understand the trees any better than most of us understand other creatures. Or other humans, for that matter but now we’re off the deep end.

The well witchers wife clearly saw things others didn’t. I’ve seen a few trees I thought were angry for one reason or another, or suffering somehow even. We’ve got a few around our homestead that look that way, fortunately not close to the house itself. Also fortunately trees that grow over 20’ tall around here are rare except for cottonwoods with water close by.

Angry looking junipers or scrub oaks are much less intimidating when they’re only 10’ tall.

Oh absolutely I do, and you all will as well once you knock the top off a bottle of absinthe and swallow what's inside. Then you'll find the devil in a little green bottle, made from the Wormwood tree. But angry trees?? Sounds a bit silly to me.

when one tree is being harmed it releases chemicals to alert other trees. It's all about killing something that is living. Everything had a life span some are cut short some live till the end. You have to look at the big picture. We understand trees probly less than we understand the moon...
Well if that's the case theres gonna be some pissed off big sumbeeches in the morning when I go to work! I cut several of their buddies today and they are on the hit list for tomorrow!

Some trees I don't care about like popple and buckthorn. Maybe im treecist 🤣 but if a tree is pushing 150+ years old I usually pass if I can. Just seeing a monster tree is awe inspiring. Because it will be here long after I am and in certain areas where I'm at big trees are rare.
I get that, I really do. It dang sure aint gonna stop me from putting it on the ground though! Ive been fortunate enough to cut some giants for TN. Ive cut some tracts the truly were "virgin" timber. Ive also cut 40" trees out of plow rows. Think about that a minute. 100 years ago there was more clear land here than there is now. Almost all of these hillsides have been tended in corn with the exception of the steepest slopes. In just a little more than my lifetime nature has reclaimed them to the point of being mature forests. City folks have a hard time believing it when I show them that their monster timber is actually an old cornfield with plowrows still visible. To somebody that had been born and raised in the business its easy to see but to those folks its like witchcraft to think tier woods used to be a cornfield. LOL

Yea the biggest trees in my area are in neighborhoods, parks, or edges of farm fields or river banks. We have some maybe 5'+ dbh maples on our property. And some big oaks. I would love to cut one but they are in good health. I understand there's a business side of things for the pro guys. I'm just a hobby
logger. But as soon as one gets unhealthy or storm damaged I just picked up a 36" bar for my old remingtons that can't wait to fell one. I have a few scoped out. Might have to cut one down for memories before the old man is gone.

The native Americans believed EVERYTHING had a spirit, both flora and fauna. I don't know about all that but heres another point to ponder: my wife says houses have an "aura" and at times, like a spirit. She points out that as long as somebody is living in them and taking care of them, they are healthy but when people abandon them they die. She says they are sad and lonely. What are most house built out of? WOOD! And shes right, just look around and you will see what shes talking about. PERHAPS, these trees I cut every day will live on in lumber, furniture, cabinets, etc..... for way longer than they would have if nature took its course and they fell down and rotted.

No doubt, my house was a junk crackhouse I bought from HUD I redid the whole thing now it feels different like it's alive, same with cars. My car always feels better after a car wash not sure if it's in my head or spiritual or aura.
Theres things we were never meant to understand. I just hope none of them get mad enough at me to take me out for a few more years at least!

Theres things we were never meant to understand. I just hope none of them get mad enough at me to take me out for a few more years at least!
Now that is what you call words of wisdom! Probly one of the best posts I have read in along time. Well said HH, it covers about everything a guy would encounter in life.

Another thread on here go me to thinking about this and I thought I would start a thread about it. Do any of yall believe some trees have a spirit? As a logger I certainly hope they don't but whos to say for sure. Ive ran across a few that I thought were out to get me that's for sure. I had a chestnut oak once that shot off the stump, flipped ends and the whole top ended up ALL around the stump! I also cut a wild cherry once that wasn't leaning hardly at all, perfect trunk, very little top. I swear to God that tree literally EXPLODED mid way up the trunk AS IT WAS FALLING and slabs, landed all around me! There wasn't anywhere to run so I just had to stand there and let it all happen. After it was all said and done, there wasn't a solid 8 ft section of that tree left.
Another one that comes to mind is a buddy of mine was building a house and at the time there was no public water so he had to drill a well. He had a "water witcher" come out and locate well spots. Witchers wife came with him but she sat in the truck. After they got done and were fixing to leave she looked at my buddy, pointed to a tree at the edge of his yard, and told him "you better cut that tree before you build your house, that tree is ANGRY!" MY buddy listened to her politely and promptly forgot all about that warning. After all, this tree was a chestnut oak about 48in across the stump and it was leaning down the hill at a very steep angle directly AWAY from his house. You guessed it, about the time he got the house dried in, that tree turned 180 degrees UPHILL and AWAY from the lean, and took the front porch off his new house!
TWO things.. Concrete / Abstract.
Concrete answers to the laws of Physics...Abstract answers ONLY to the law of Spirt. Spirit can move THROUGH Concrete into and out of Concrete objects.. As a Shaman I've allowed my Children to grow up into their OWN thought processes.. Many years ago two of my little ones were sleeping and late in the night I heard voices coming from their bedroom. UNLIKE most folks I did not shout, YOU kids get quiet in there.. Instead of got out of bed to check on them. Who knows could have been an intruder needing to be S**t. Very quietly I cracked the door open...There was a night light and I saw the 4 year old sitting on her bed looking into the closet laughing and talking as if in conversation..My child KNEW she was NOT in trouble when she saw me quietly take a seat on the bed beside her.. She looked at me and continued to talk to something in her closet..I was able to see that NO ONE was there so I asked, "Who are you talking to". she replied my friend..I listened a moment but I could NOT hear anyone talking except my baby girl.. So, I asked, "where does your friend live?". My child asked the "Nothing" that question and then replied,, It said it lived In TREES and anywhere it wants to live.. I said, WHAT does it look like. My baby replied at the moment like a Raccoon but it TOLD ME it can look like with it wants IF it wants to be seen.. I asked, "Does your fiend know WHO I am?". My baby asked her friend do you know who this is".. She laughes and said, Her friend said, Sure I know your father.. Then I asked Does your friend know your mother.. at the tine I had recently divorced.. My baby asked her friend who replied, NO I do not know your mother.. It turns out her Mother was a Christian who don't believe in Ghosts and THINKS all of them are evil so she WILL NOT acknowledge them. She calles them demons.. Recently (i'm a writer) I wrote a paper entitled, "Does God exist IF you Don't believe in him?"
I have a mailing list and out of a huge number of people FEW of them understood. As a Shaman I depend upon my Spirit Guides and they've even helped extend my life a few times. Once a voice told me someone was laying in wait to kill me. I armed myself and found a Guy with and AXE hiding in the woods. Turns out he was dealing in Mary Jane and her cousins and wanted to cross my land. IF I was not alive he could have used the land for his trade route..Long story short. I survived, He was jailed his wife kept the family business alive until she was eliminated by competition in Huston Tx. I bought their land and now have a friend living there.. My belief is FEAR opens a door for Bad spirits, so does anger.. BUT love and compassion blocks the bad ones. EVERY tree I kill is done so in respect. Every animal I take is blessed.. Once I was visiting a Christian home on Thanksgiving. NOT knowing my culture they thought they would honor me by asking me to say "Grace".. I looked across the Table (eyes open) and said.. Spirit world, I BLESS these plants and animals that gave their lives so we might enjoy this meal. I ended with HO...The SHOCK (cultural shock) blinded them.. It was deathly quiet then someone said, NOW,,, IF, everyone will BOW your heads I'LL say a PROPER blessing..I bowed my head out of RESPECT for them.. NO it did not insult me.. I fully UNDERSTOOD how they felt.. ALL organized religions I have encountered are of they OPINION they KNOW all truth.. That's WHY they can't be taught..
He who knows, Can't be taught..Man will always fight as long as some of them believe they KNOW it all.. Unless we can find a way to NOT disagree we can't stop fighting among ourselves..UNTIL we can look for things that we DO agree upon AND NOT point out our differences,,,no man on earth can / will/ find perfect peace.....Super powers have robbed many indigenous tribes of their ancient cultures using armed fighters and organized religion to beat them into their mold. So much wonder and awe has been lost.. At 75, I'm an old library that will one day be gone. Until each one learns HIS own path and also learns to HONOR and respect the path of all; others,, only then will the Good Spirits once again rule Turtle Island.. My beliefs are NOT religion. It's culture and it's lived with each breath I take.. I respect all other views. Respect does not mean I must believe nor should it be spoon fed to me by well intending over religious folks who just want to save my soul..In my Culture no one should do that.. I could care less what others do as long as they don't do it to me or mine. Ha. Ha.. Every man is a tree and every tree shall be cut down or fall down in time.. Life is short..Lets make it fun.. Be blessed..

The native Americans believed EVERYTHING had a spirit, both flora and fauna. I don't know about all that but heres another point to ponder: my wife says houses have an "aura" and at times, like a spirit. She points out that as long as somebody is living in them and taking care of them, they are healthy but when people abandon them they die. She says they are sad and lonely. What are most house built out of? WOOD! And shes right, just look around and you will see what shes talking about. PERHAPS, these trees I cut every day will live on in lumber, furniture, cabinets, etc..... for way longer than they would have if nature took its course and they fell down and rotted.
My house is 160 years old - sometimes I look at the beams in the cellar - full logs, some with bark on (and one with a big scorch mark - not sure I want to know what *that* is all about) and wonder what it was like here when someone took that tree down.

Back