Tree to ground communication

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vendetti

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
What is a good radio for tree too ground communication? I've used the motorola's radios from Radio Shak along with the throat mike's from sherrill and they were not very reliable. Any recommendations on a good reliable system that will not break the bank?

I'm interested in this subject too, if it doesnt break the bank. I'm tired of yelling over the chipper. Yesterday I watched helplessly from the top of a white oak as my groundman stopped up the chipper chute and kept feeding it. Had to come down and help unclog it, which put us behind enough that we were caught by a thunderstorm, resulting in an unfinished job and no paycheck till next week.

I'm interested in adding this to my essential gear ...

I'm begining to think a good 2-way communications system is a must for my work. I'm so deaf that once I have my climbing helmet on with the ear cups down I might as well be on another planet. JohnBoy actually suggested that he get a paintball gun to get my attention when I am in the tree.

Not a bad idea, but I know that I'd be getting hit with paintballs for more than just emergency situations. My crew would get great fun out of hosing me down at random times with a paintball gun.

Tree_Care

We got a set of these in the spring, used them everyday, not one crackle of static since we tossed our pile of earmarks.
the eartecs are amazingly clear and have great noise canceling

Tree_Care

We got a set of these in the spring, used them everyday, not one crackle of static since we tossed our pile of earmarks.
the eartecs are amazingly clear and have great noise canceling

The eartecs are certenly pricey but if they make me and more importantly the guys on the ground safer with the added bonus of us being more efficient it is money well spent.

While the idea is good, I feel the tree task should be so well rehearsed & understood that radio chatter may only open up hazard.

Sure in certain tasks they will be a great & help. But clear hand eye body language signals added to good ground to tree wisdom is my 2 bits here. To much supplementary gear up a trees is what I see daily.

I watched a heavy haulage crew move a massive load last month. Just amazing at night rain complex task but all knew just what to do as one guy directed the show like a orchestra conductor with just his hands and a whistle, bloody brilliant.

Do they make one integrated into their helmet?

Yeah, i think they have four or five different models now that will attach to the hardhat.

While the idea is good, I feel the tree task should be so well rehearsed & understood that radio chatter may only open up hazard.

Sure in certain tasks they will be a great & help. But clear hand eye body language signals added to good ground to tree wisdom is my 2 bits here. To much supplementary gear up a trees is what I see daily.

I watched a heavy haulage crew move a massive load last month. Just amazing at night rain complex task but all knew just what to do as one guy directed the show like a orchestra conductor with just his hands and a whistle, bloody brilliant.

Good info, i'll have to remember to tell my guys when they need something to just wave their arms....oh, wait, i can't see them half the time on my jobs, oh well, good exercise for them. Oh yeah!! The whistle!!! They can just use a whistle when they need my attention, i should be able to hear that over my saw, a ground saw or two, the chipper, the crane, and whatever trucks we are loading, not to mention my muffs. Awesome plan.
All joking aside, derwoodie, when i see a crew who are waving their arms around, and shouting or whistling to their climber all the time, the first thought in my mind is "yeah, these guys know what they are doing." As for radio chatter, a little radio discipline takes care of that, teach your guys to only broadcast when needed. I actually like them, can talk to my crane op and one of my groundies at any time. The op is obvious, but my groundie, while he's good, can't read minds, and this way there is no second guessing, with no shouting or handsignals that need to be translated. Yeah, i have hand signals for 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", 1" rope of different lengths, but it's so much easier to just say (even if the groundie is out of site), "jimmer, grab that 200 foot, 3/4" rope."

I have a Peltor that I use on occasion. It is great for when at distance, but is problematic with a lot of background noise. VOX does not work at all, saw noise turns it on.

I hate jobs where the chipper is running constantly, sometimes it is needed to keep up, but pile the crap up will save fuel costs. I've talked a couple of my clients into idling the chipper between loads, and especially with the 14-18 inch modles you see a marked decrease in off-road fuel bills.

Speaking of ORF, does everyone separate it out from vehicle fuel for tax purposes? You can deduct road taxes on your 1040 if you do. In WI that is around $33 for every 100 gal of chipper and saw fuel ( .33 cents/gal taxes).

Gasoline tax information - Washington DC Gas Prices

Looks like Cali has .55 cents/gal

I believe I have this tackled. I went to wal-mart and bought a pair of walkie talkies for 50 bucks, I have one, they have one. Since we already have very strict rules on hand signals and ALWAYS LOOKING UP at me and me not cutting unless I know where they are. When I need to talk to them, I hold the radio in my hand and they grab theirs, then they listen and do what I say. It works pretty good!

I believe I have this tackled. I went to wal-mart and bought a pair of walkie talkies for 50 bucks, I have one, they have one. Since we already have very strict rules on hand signals and ALWAYS LOOKING UP at me and me not cutting unless I know where they are. When I need to talk to them, I hold the radio in my hand and they grab theirs, then they listen and do what I say. It works pretty good!

That's what I'm doing now. Just does not cut it. If my ground guy is pulling limbs to the chipper and I see that my rope is along for the ride I need to communicate that in real time. Or if I'm topping a tree and cut my rigging line the ground guys (again in real time) can tell me what I did. It's great to have good controls and disaplin but I have to be proactive and opperate under murphys law. Because the guys on the ground are family and at the end of the day I need to get everyone home.

That's what I'm doing now. Just does not cut it. If my ground guy is pulling limbs to the chipper and I see that my rope is along for the ride I need to communicate that in real time. Or if I'm topping a tree and cut my rigging line the ground guys (again in real time) can tell me what I did. It's great to have good controls and disaplin but I have to be proactive and opperate under murphys law. Because the guys on the ground are family and at the end of the day I need to get everyone home.

The Eartecs will give you that, its live all the time like a phone conversation, you can talk a guy thru a cut while he is making it, They take some getting used to, its weird to have that much communication with your guys during the day. If you order them make sure you get mic kill buttons added to them, the noise canceling is good but if the ground man is feeding the chipper it can be a bit loud. We have our ground guys kill their mic while they are chipping, that we the climber or crane opp can still talk to them but we dont hear every piece of wood going thru the chipper.
We were hesitant about the wire and the small box, since we were used to the Earmark headsets which are all self contained in the ear muff but once we got used to them we could never go back. Hopefully Eartec will make a self-contained unit soon that utilizes the same technology that makes their headsets work so well

Soup cans and kite string? That's cheap.........

I've got a couple of motorola's called talk-a-bout.....they work well with standard ear pieces in the construction business. Plus I think I have all of 150 bucks in them and they run off rechargeable batteries or AA's

I have four sets of Peltor pro-comm headsets and was quite happy with them.

Couple of issues.
1 - they are expensive.
2 - they don't like alot of moisture. Sweat from ears, rain.

Mine are going in to get repaired (All got soaked in a downpour) and have stopped working.

From a safety standpoint, they are invaluable.

The Eartecs will give you that, its live all the time like a phone conversation, you can talk a guy thru a cut while he is making it, They take some getting used to, its weird to have that much communication with your guys during the day. If you order them make sure you get mic kill buttons added to them, the noise canceling is good but if the ground man is feeding the chipper it can be a bit loud. We have our ground guys kill their mic while they are chipping, that we the climber or crane opp can still talk to them but we dont hear every piece of wood going thru the chipper.
We were hesitant about the wire and the small box, since we were used to the Earmark headsets which are all self contained in the ear muff but once we got used to them we could never go back. Hopefully Eartec will make a self-contained unit soon that utilizes the same technology that makes their headsets work so well

It sounds like you got the Digicom. I just got my system in the mail today. In order to save money I got the TD 900. The trancievers work on radio waves and are not digital put with the two exteme headsets and one SST headset for the tree It seems to work as well as you discribed. thank you

It sounds like you got the Digicom. I just got my system in the mail today. In order to save money I got the TD 900. The trancievers work on radio waves and are not digital put with the two exteme headsets and one SST headset for the tree It seems to work as well as you discribed. thank you

how much did you end up shelling out if you dont mind.

Last edited:
how much did you end up shelling out if you dont mind.

If I had gotten the Digicom transceivers it would have cost me over $1700. The TD 900 transceivers got me down to $840. Money I believe is well spent.

I'm begining to think a good 2-way communications system is a must for my work. I'm so deaf that once I have my climbing helmet on with the ear cups down I might as well be on another planet. JohnBoy actually suggested that he get a paintball gun to get my attention when I am in the tree.

Not a bad idea, but I know that I'd be getting hit with paintballs for more than just emergency situations. My crew would get great fun out of hosing me down at random times with a paintball gun.

I am by no means any type of expert in the tree industry, but I could easily be considered and expert in the paintball industry:
Johnboy's suggestion is by far one of the most ignorant and dangerous methods of "communication" you could come up with.
You like you're eyesight? it can blind you easily.
You like hearing? it can deafen you easily.
You like something that weighs 1/3 of a golfball hitting you at 280 feet per second (that is 190 mph) all while possibly running a saw and hanging by ropes high up in a tree?

not to mention what is possible to happen when someone "just goof's off" with it around the worksite or camp/shop etc

please take into consideration your safety as well as others around you and don't help ruin one of my favorite past times.

Back