Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakehasammo

Reaction score
I bought a place two years ago with many trees. I've noticed some of the trees seemed to be partially dead but "healthy" parts almost appear to be doing just fine (Picture 1 of the tree, Picture 2 on the leaves). Throughout the summers, I also noticed some smaller trees just appear to die almost overnight. I've had this happen to several types of trees including a small cherry tree. Picture 3 shows my most recent one the appeared to die "overnight" while picture 4 shows the many trees around it appearing to be doing fine. Pictures 5 and 6 show another recent tree death that happened quickly. Most have been Elm trees which is the more popular tree on my property but it doesn't seem to be happening to a specific type of tree in general. The trees are also in various locations around my ten acers and are not in low areas that hold water. I can't seem to figure out why this is happening?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 25
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    764.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 23
Saplings in the grass I would check for girdling.
Flowering cherry is over mature and most likely has cankers. Very common for this short lived tree.

Flowering cherry is over mature and most likely has cankers. Very common for this short lived tree.
I appreciate the response! I checked around the smaller trees that this has happened to but didn't notice any girdling. None of the trees showed any distress signs but almost seem to die in an instant.
Also, are you suggesting that the larger partially dead tree is a flowering cherry? I'm not sure what type of tree it is but I do know it does not bloom.

The trees are probably over mature and have some infection. You should consider planting new trees.

could you clarify this statement? why would this occur in grass versus....? looking for clarification. I am not the homeowner but as we all plant trees in our yards, looking to learn something here. Thanks much.

Back