Trimmers - FS 94 or FS 91 options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is not M-Tronic and has nothing to do with it. The ignition module is simply a little bit smarter as a normal one and records operating data, which the service technician can read out while working on it. This newer models of the 4180 series are the updated and revised versions compared to the older ones. The main differences are:

Updated engine
– New control handles and one touch stop
– New interlocked choke simplifies starting - the choke automatically returns to the run
– Bigger fuel tank with 710 cc (24 ounces) capacity
– All models come standard with a paper air filter
– Simplified valve adjustment access
– Diagnostic port for reading operating data
– Single point throttle cable adjustment via adjusting screw on throttle trigger
– New gearhead and deflector
– New rider plate simplifies mounting of metal blades on the new gearhead
Adding a processor just for data collection seems like a lot of cost for not much benefit unless this is the first step in case EPA regs would force a move to full M-tronic.

Anybody seen the OP... Or was this just a drive by grab and run?

LOL Steve...I am still here. I just am undecided on what I should get. As stated I initially was gonna get the FS 94 but decide to investigate a bit more.
Primary reason for this is because I want something that I can use for weeds...and forgot about the solid shaft that needs to be used with a blade.
After thinking this over I "think" the FS 91 is what I need with this solid shaft and blade-capable with loop handle.
Then I saw a post where someone was using a blade (with Loop if I remember correctly) and got kicked back and cut his wife and he had to torniquet and rush her to hospital.
I know the loop are dangerous with the blade but honestly most of the "woody" bushes are less than 1" with some that are thicker but I can cut with loupers.
I am in no hurry to buy but probably should get it by the end of the month. These weeds are killing me but hey I also wanted a multipurpose tool.

I know someone said to get the FS 131 and mow down crap lol and I wish it was that easy but for now I am doing homes and see no need to pay to jump up to FS 131 but who knows.

Curious: the Durocut 20-2 with its .102" pre-fit lines...with a FS 91 what happens if I hit a 1" thick weed. Will this just break the line? Like I said I think this is still considered stapling but it is definitely thicker than the
blackberry stapling.

Since no one threw out any other options I guess Stihl is the way to go. And worse case they can fix the dang thing with a 2 year warranty.

I've used my fs250r with loop handle and shredder and knife blades no problem, just make sure you use a barrier bar and certainly don't have anyone near you.

LOL Steve...I am still here. I just am undecided on what I should get. As stated I initially was gonna get the FS 94 but decide to investigate a bit more.
Primary reason for this is because I want something that I can use for weeds...and forgot about the solid shaft that needs to be used with a blade.
After thinking this over I "think" the FS 91 is what I need with this solid shaft and blade-capable with loop handle.
Then I saw a post where someone was using a blade (with Loop if I remember correctly) and got kicked back and cut his wife and he had to torniquet and rush her to hospital.
I know the loop are dangerous with the blade but honestly most of the "woody" bushes are less than 1" with some that are thicker but I can cut with loupers.
I am in no hurry to buy but probably should get it by the end of the month. These weeds are killing me but hey I also wanted a multipurpose tool.

I know someone said to get the FS 131 and mow down crap lol and I wish it was that easy but for now I am doing homes and see no need to pay to jump up to FS 131 but who knows.

Curious: the Durocut 20-2 with its .102" pre-fit lines...with a FS 91 what happens if I hit a 1" thick weed. Will this just break the line? Like I said I think this is still considered stapling but it is definitely thicker than the
blackberry stapling.

Since no one threw out any other options I guess Stihl is the way to go. And worse case they can fix the dang thing with a 2 year warranty.
I like the 91, and as far as string goes hitting trees in brush it just sucks the head into the tree. Sometimes it will break the string, but most times not & you justblet off the throttle and pull it away.
Definitely don't have anyone standing close to you while running a blade. A helper is a good idea, But stay 20 feet away.
I hear horror stories about chainsaw accidents, but the worst forestry accidents I've seen happen personally are from a weedeater or power washer.
One of my co workers surprised another who was running a power washer & ended up with massive abrasions & skin grafts on his chest from the water pressure when the first jumped and swung around still blasting 4800psi.
Even without a blade, just string can cause serious damage to tissue. Be safe, be careful, as with everything.
Wood is harder than flesh, and anything that will cut wood, will cut you faster.

I've used my fs250r with loop handle and shredder and knife blades no problem, just make sure you use a barrier bar and certainly don't have anyone near you.

Hey sawfun: I am curious what does your shredder and knife blade look like? And what is the barrier bar. Got a pic of them. I can certainly be more protective as I can with this blade. I will have to order one of these sooner or later but think I will want to try without as we have alot of weeds similar to blackberry weeds. As stated...I may not need this if it is a few that are woody. From what I can gather...woody usually come up when there are woody trees around. But I will find out.

I like the 91, and as far as string goes hitting trees in brush it just sucks the head into the tree. Sometimes it will break the string, but most times not & you justblet off the throttle and pull it away.
Definitely don't have anyone standing close to you while running a blade. A helper is a good idea, But stay 20 feet away.
I hear horror stories about chainsaw accidents, but the worst forestry accidents I've seen happen personally are from a weedeater or power washer.
One of my co workers surprised another who was running a power washer & ended up with massive abrasions & skin grafts on his chest from the water pressure when the first jumped and swung around still blasting 4800psi.
Even without a blade, just string can cause serious damage to tissue. Be safe, be careful, as with everything.
Wood is harder than flesh, and anything that will cut wood, will cut you faster.

toadman: I am having this issue with my Echo SRM 2400...it gets sucked into the trimmer with weeds and I have to pull the echo out lol. Hoping this FS 91 will power through the weeds with the proper attachment.

toadman: I am having this issue with my Echo SRM 2400...it gets sucked into the trimmer with weeds and I have to pull the echo out lol. Hoping this FS 91 will power through the weeds with the proper attachment.
The 91 does pretty well with string if it's just really thick/tall grass, or thin black berry.
Not for rose, or thick sticker bushes with string. Those a blade is the ticket. I haven't ran a weedeater that didn't wrap and suck into woody brush wearing string, so I am not sure it's a power issue entirely.
Power certainly helps to tear up tall grass rather than slowing down and wrapping it around the head and stalling the motor:)
a big win IMO.
I have also ran a blade on my stihl fs56, and been happy with that both power & durability too, although stihl says not to. I have had it for about 7 years of zero issues & lots of abuse.
My 91 is newer, built much stronger & has the same power (feels like) but more robust & I feel takes the abuse a bit better if used regularly.

Latest posts

Back