Trimmers - FS 94 or FS 91 options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LHJim

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Last Saturday (Aug 1) I came back from a dealer and I looked at the FS Trimmers.
A little about what I want. First is I have a bunch of weed growing behind my yard and inside the corners of my yard. My neighbor does too. This was a former golf course and its turned into something with trees and nature perserve lol. My Echo SRM 2400 model is around 10 years old and it is harder to start now but once it starts it runs like champ. I am looking for a trimmer that I can use once my Echo breaks down. I have never gotten a trimmer that does bushes etc.
From looking online what constitutes sapling. It appears "woody" sapling constitutes some kind of wood sapling, and the bush sapling is just that...weeds, bushes and thorns.

I'd like to get something that covers cutting out weeds and grass trimmers etc. Eventually I will need the grass trimmer. Getting tired of the weeds beating me lol. Hence I checked out the Stihl FS trimmer.

Here is what I found out after investing from the dealer. The FS 94 is the flex shaft...and thus cannot take a blade. I am thinking I need the solid shaft which is FS 91R, FS 111R and FS 131R. Obviously with a solid shaft this will be heavier but there is always a trade off. I "think" I need something to cut sapling which is what the FS 91 will do.

The FS 91 R is a loop handle. And I correct in my thinking that only bike handle can be used with saw blades. That is if I bought the FS 91R can I also buy the blade attachment or will the dealer not sell me a blade? I am curious if the FS 91 is a 2 stroke or 4 stroke? Apparently you can pre mix oil with gas for 2 strokes too.

So let me know if a dealer will sell me a FS 91R with a blade etc. Even a standard blade will work as my lot is mostly sapling but appears to be some hardwood. The dealer showed me the DUROCUT 20-2 and the line it can take is .120" but I doubt it can cut the "woody" sapling I have. This is when I was considering the FS 94 but I will probably go with the FS 91R for the solid shaft. I do not carry all day anyway so this will probably work. What are your thoughts on this? What blade do you all use with the FS 91R if that is possible?

Yes I rather buy cheap but those online are all rusty and as you know people are asking for an arm and leg lol. Are there other models that I should consider? And by the way I have been cutting bushes with a bush cutter, the hand held one form Black and Decker. And man this is killing me bending over and cutting little by little until it bogs down. I suspect this FS 91 will cut right through and make it a bit easier for me lol. So I am going to invest in one...dealer has the FS 91R for $330 plus the cost of the blade and taxes. I know its w hole lotta money but what can I do...need to cut out this crap anyway.

Thanks!

Can anyone move this to the handheld forums? I just notice this. When I did a search I see some post here so I went there not realizing this should go to another forum. Admin: if you want to move it that is fine by me. Rather my post get the most reviews and constructive opinions. Thanks.

I had a fs91R for a weekend and took it back.yes it's quiet.but vibrates quit a bit.these are called a 4 mix engine.uses 2 stroke mix but runs like a 4 stroke.its also kind of heavy.i went with the FS94R.true 2 stroke,lighter and the throttle control is great.its like cruise control.i also had a blade with the 91R.i would say it was ok but I wouldn't say it was great.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I have a fs94r and a echo 3020 there are very few things the echo can handle that the fs94r can't. What I'm saying is the fs94 is a great weedeater and unless you are doing alot of heavy weeds it will do fine

The FS94 is a very nice trimmer, if you want a 2 stroke. I have an FS111RX (not supposed to use a brush blade due to lightweight driveshaft and gearbox), and I really like it. I decided that I wanted a 4 stroke this time, and am happy with my decision. I've only ever had 2 stroke ones before, and just like trying different stuff. A few buddies have used my FS111RX, and ended up buying them as well.

As for which blade to use...that's going to depend on the diameter of the saplings you're going to be cutting.

I do volunteer work on a local trail crew and we use a LOT of weedeaters to keep 60 miles of trail clear during the summer.

Yes, you need a solid shaft for any metal blade. You also need the bike handlebar to properly control the metal blade. Makes using it much easier and prevents kickback of the blade towards the operator. A metal blade also requires an extended (lowered) blade guard. Metal blades can pickup and throw rocks and debris and the extended blade guard keeps same from heading in the direction of the operator.

This puts you in the FS91, 111, 131 camp. The main difference between these is HP and what accessories / configuration comes with the standard DSRP. I think that the 131 comes with the extended guard and metal blade mounting kit included in the DSRP. I am not sure about the other two. You may have to pay extra on the two lower models. The 91 will probably handle saplings up to about an inch. The 131 is good up to 2-3". HTH.

I can't speak to either of the above listed models, but I can speak to the FS90, which the FS91 replaced. I'm using mine for a little of everything, around the house trimming, maintaining fence line, taking down brush, and even saplings. I described my needs to the local Stihl dealer, that I was maintaining a gentleman's farm and wanted something that could swing a brush blade without spending big money, and the FS90 is what he recommended. It's been an excellent all purpose machine for me, I've beaten the snot out of it, and it's given me 11 or 12 years of trouble free service. I was a little skeptical of the 4-Mix engines, but it has been very good for me, another very good recommendation from my favorite Stihl dealer (Eddy's Saw Service in East Derry, NH).

The funny thing with the fs94 is that with the throttle stop cranked way down on rpm, the unit still has plenty of power and sounds like a 4-mix.

I have the fs90, with the loop handle, and use blades, and the chainsaw head, might get the scythe next.
I don't like using the bike handlebars. The fs90 and 91 are real close, the engines look identical.

The 91R will handle a blade fine IMO. I was able to get a blade kit for mine without any hassle at all by mentioning the model & asking for one... I actually use a 10" tablesaw blade I enlarged the arbor on for woody brush, saplings, & thick weeds.
It will chew through a 3" tree with very little effort & cut grass off flst. It will not chew & sling grass like a string, but very nice for brush, briars, rose &, hedge clearing.
Not something to play around with unless prepared.
that thing is wicked and I don't even want to think about hitting a leg/ foot with it, so use at your own risk.
It works very well for me, much better than the kits they sell with the trimmer:)

Always buy bigger than you think you need. That’s means FS131. No need to actually use it. Just bring it to the site and the **** just falls down. It really is a beast. The KM is another option. If you buy something by price, and it
“Almost “ does the job, it makes it very expensive indeed,
I think the 111 is so close price wise, to the 131, it’s not to be even considered

Define M-tronic.
Similar engine control system as found on chainsaws... Well those photos are revealing! At one time Stihl actually mentioned this in their literature when talking about the updated 131 model. Maybe they decided not to add it or only added it on the bigger / higher dollar brushcutters like the 131.

Alright, someone with access to the Stihl tech docs please find and post the one that introduces the FSxx1" series and tell us what they actually changed.

That is not M-Tronic and has nothing to do with it. The ignition module is simply a little bit smarter as a normal one and records operating data, which the service technician can read out while working on it. This newer models of the 4180 series are the updated and revised versions compared to the older ones. The main differences are:

Updated engine
– New control handles and one touch stop
– New interlocked choke simplifies starting - the choke automatically returns to the run
– Bigger fuel tank with 710 cc (24 ounces) capacity
– All models come standard with a paper air filter
– Simplified valve adjustment access
– Diagnostic port for reading operating data
– Single point throttle cable adjustment via adjusting screw on throttle trigger
– New gearhead and deflector
– New rider plate simplifies mounting of metal blades on the new gearhead

Back