Triple or double axle dump trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you.
Kindly grind your axe elsewhere JH.

How 'bout you show me a picture of your truck carrying a load of firewood in the bed while you are towing your GN trailer. HMMM?
Suppose you show me a picture of your DL so as not to hide behind a screen name without an address?

Oh Yeah! I forgot. Everyone knows that pintle hitches are unsuitable for heavy loads.

1639934171389.png

I can see a goose-neck coming in real handy here. 29k isn't really much weight in the grand scheme of heavy loads on the road.

This isn't a fight you can win JH. You are making poor arguments that make no real sense, and your anger at me is clouding your judgment.
Please just give it a rest.

Hey all. Quick question for you. I am in the market for a 16ft gooseneck dump trailer with around 20k gvwr. We load these machines with mini skids, so the deck over models with tandem duals are not a good option for us. It has to be a low pro model. Most of those trailers have 3 7k axles but there are a few companies that make them with dual 10k axles. Everything I have read on line says that tandem duals are better than triples, but what about single dual axles? The single dual set ups are way more expensive -- Diamond C sells a dual axle gooseneck with 10k singles for close to 27k, whereas suretrac sells a triple axle for 17k. Both units appear similar in quality and build. What are your thoughts on these two configurations? I would not be super excited about constantly replacing tires, but you can replace a lot of tires for 10k... How much to you realistically give up in terms of maneuverability with a triple axle? Any experience you can share is appreciated.
You are comparing apples and oranges. Low pro trailers are low because the tires and wheels are beside the bed, while you could build a trailer with duals but between the tires it would only be 4 foot wide. Low pro's are limited to 80-85" bed width depending on tire and wheel combinations. They are all limited to 102" maximum width, so if you do not want to climb the extra height of a deck over you are stuck going to three or more axles to carry the weight, it is what it is.

I looked up all the Diamond C dump trailers. All their gooseneck trailers are above the wheels. Low profile dumper doesn't seem to be an option for that manufacturer. If you want a gooseneck trailer, I think there isn't much functional difference between the 2 or 3 axle configuration. It would boil down to your particular uses and preferences.

Dual axle with tandems actually has better flotation on soft ground. 8 tires vs. 6, with less scrubbing in turns.
Triple axle has a narrower tire path (easier to dodge stuff on the road) with better braking capacity (6 brakes vs 4) and more commonly available (and cheaper) axle parts and greater redundancy in the event of a failure. Tire swaps are easier, too.

Oh Yeah! I forgot. Everyone knows that pintle hitches are unsuitable for heavy loads.

View attachment 949531

I can see a goose-neck coming in real handy here. 29k isn't really much weight in the grand scheme of heavy loads on the road.

This isn't a fight you can win JH. You are making poor arguments that make no real sense, and your anger at me is clouding your judgment.
Please just give it a rest.
If lunette hitches were superior every 18 wheeler on the road would use one. So would heavy equipment haulers, but they don’t. They use detachable 5th wheels. Dump trucks use a lunette because they can’t use a 5th wheel or GN inside a body 5-6 ft off the ground and there are no ball hitches to handle 20 tons or more. If there were, the’ed use them because a ball removes 99% of the slop in the ring to pintle joint, and allows for zero vertical slop, thus improving the ride tremendously . Now, how much room for cordwood have I lost with that 5 inch diameter receiver? 29k for a 1 ton pickup and trailer borders on max legal load. I mention that because it’s obvious you don’t know.
And I’m waiting for your ID, in case you’ve forgotten.
Ps. 4 brakes of 3-1/4 x12 provide more braking ability than 6 of 2x12. I guess among the many things you pontificate upon without actual knowledge is the fact that heavier axles use larger brakes. 10K axles are also available in single wheel versions not just duals, and dual wheel axles aren’t any wider than low pro single.
But please, by all means keep on typing. Nothing pleases me more than showing the members here what an ignorant, arrogant, ass their new moderator is.

2 x 10k= 20k GVWR
3 x 7k=21k GVWR.

I'm sure you're right about that relative braking capacity. I hadn't considered that the FMCSA might not know about your advanced expertise on the topic.

This continuous harping at me is dumb. Kindly pick a topic where you are more skilled to argue about.
I also kind of doubt the OP has any interest in following this thread anymore, either.

Why is pointing out your posting of incorrect information “ harping “ on you? The OP came here looking for advice. Posting incorrect or blatantly false statements is detrimental to his future as well as the future of this site. You’ve failed to so much as even recognize your lack of actual knowledge of the subject at hand and have continued to post false statements. I pointed them out to warn others here of your proclivity for this behavior. Hopefully the new owners of this place will figure out their mistake before you do irreparable harm.

I wish we could do a diamond c but they are an an extra 10k. Even if it is way better, its difficult to justify the expense. I'm not looking to spend near 30k for a 16ft dump when I bought a 12ft unit from sure Trac for 7k that has been excellent. It took five years of some nasty abuse before More than 3x the price for 25% more capacity just doesn't fit the budget for us.

I may be avoiding the pj and just having to go with the 3 axle. We're also pulling it with a little less truck than we should... From what I understand 3 axles are more forgiving if the truck is on the lighter side.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Have you considered the 16' Suretrac with tandem 8K axles? Your probably only lacking 500 weight capacity in the extra 4' over your existing trailer capacity per 4' section of trailer.
I've had great luck with PJ trailers and have owned several. I recall a time when there was a powder coat peeling issue and remember discussing it with my dealer on a new trailer purchase and they informed me of the issue and how it was resolved on new builds. I've never had a failed weld from normal or heavy use but have lent out my trailers to friends who have had major weld or structural failures with other name brand trailers. Every time we look at the failure area then compare it to my PJ and say, yeah it won't likely fail there on the PJ.
A friend has a 16' 8ton PJ dump that I borrow occasionally. It's a great trailer that I load with my mini.
It seems like goosenecks and 3 triple axle trailers are regional, I rarely see them here in the North East. When I do see them they are usually long like 30'+. I used to run a 28' boat on a triple axle trailer and it was a horrible experience with tire, rim, axle, suspension failures. The boat yards, ramps and access areas were super tight.

The three dump trailers that I've owned including the one I now have are all bumper pull because I use the bed of the truck for tools, etc.

Often my truck carries a bed topper which works out well with a bumper pull trailer.

Plus my chipper and stump grinder are bumper pull.

I'd like to see a goose neck pull behind stump grinder.

Yeah, but a gooseneck is still the best option for a heavier load on a lighter truck. Each trailer has it's own advantages.

The average pickup would be in trouble if they hooked up to my trailer, even if it was a one-ton. I think the OP is only considering gooseneck trailers.

I currently have a 16' Diamond C bumper pull dump trailer. Quality is second to none with all the HD options. I am currently purchasing a Big Tex 22GN with 10k axles..duals. That purchase is due to availability, price point, and usage expectations. It is not a Diamond C by any stretch of the imagination. I will always buy quality when possible. Concerning the comment about all of their GN do trailers being over the axle, not sure that is correct. I know on their low pro equipment trailers they have a GN OPTION, but they aren't shown with the GN trailers, the dump trailers may be the same way. Just something to look at.

Shea

Wasn't going to comment on this thread but as someone who either owns or have owned all the trailers mentioned this is my thoughts. The ONLY time a gooseneck is better is max loads. I still have a tandem axle dual gooseneck just for hauling my equipment that is too heavy for the tandem single tire. As soon as I can afford a 10k super single tilt trailer it will more than likely get sold as empty or lightly loaded they beat the crap out of you. My triple axle gooseneck is no different and I actually air down the tires if I am going a long ways empty, then air up when loaded, what a pita. All of my trailers that I pull with a 1 ton are going to be bought with 8-10k tandem axles and single wheels from now on. I can't say I have had any tire wear issues with the 3 axle but you will do more damage to driveways turning them. If I am heavily loaded I am careful about not turning sharp. I have had 0 issues with oil bath axles and if you are worried just pack them with grease but IMHO that defeats the advantage of a oil bath axle. Cj

Screenshot_20211224-182931.png

I went and checked. It is an option for a gooseneck package on the dump trailers. This particular one was a low pro dump trailer.

My particular reason for a GN is the higher weight rating for towing a mini excavator. I use a low pro tilt deck for the tractor with attachments, but sometimes that's not always long enough.

Shea

My favorite expression in 2021 is "pros and cons to everything". I have a 20' dump trailer with 4' sides and 96" width. Unless my math is wrong that can carry about 5 cords of fire wood(edited).

The steel beams are about 20" tall. This trailer is heavy. It is also hard to back into skinny driveways from skinny mountain roads. Damn near impossible with the long wheel base that my 12' flat bed dually has.

Man alive do I wish I had a crew cab on more trucks. The dog takes the passenger seat. His food and water take the floor space. I am 6' 4" myself. Leaving enough spare room for an energy drink and chewing gum.

I've had neck surgery, after losing a fight with an 18 wheeler, and my dog likes to stand in front of the passenger mirror. Backing goosenecks has been quite a challenge for me. I'm looking for a 20' pintle hitch 3 axle equipment trailer right now. The 36' equipment trailer with the gooseneck gives me a hard time too often.

I believe 7K axles are far less expensive than 10K axles. I've had emergency road service/axle replacement after the hub for the oil bath fell off. That was damned expensive.

8 tires vs 6 yet slightly less cargo capacity
2 braking axles vs 3 braking axles. I'd rather have three when I, once again, have to stand on the brakes on the interstate while pulling a serious load.

There are a gazillion trailer options because everything has pros and cons.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect a 3-axle trailer is usually lighter than a 2-axle. If nothing else, the frame might be built a pinch lighter because the load is distributed more evenly across the length of the trailer. As to the tires, the 3 axle needs heavier tires, and there are more springs and mounting hardware. Fewer tires, more hardware.

Tough call as to final weight. I think that will mostly depend on the manufacturer.

Back