Trouble getting Stihl 032AV to run

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That circuit plate cover screw doesn't look right, it should be flat topped.
hmmmm.. .the plot thickens. Would a screw have that much of an effect on the carb?

Set it up, toss it on the saw and see what it does.
I did, same exact thing. fuel is not going past the needle. I believe that's the main issue, just don't know how to fix it at this point

I would say that the disc would make contact with the top of the screw, so yes, I think it would affect the running of the saw.
Whether or not it is the whole problem, I cannot say.
But since the disc pushes the lever down.......
And the lever moves the needle.....

Well.......

Anyone local that works on stuff likely has a junk carb with a screw to fit it.
I would ask around.

since this form here is talking about sthil.. Any idea what this plate and or where it get one.first time seeing one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221021-223946.png
    Screenshot_20221021-223946.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
The part number for the valve you have a picture of is: 1113 640 9100. It vents the bar oil tank. If it is not complete the oil will run out when you have the saw high above you or cut above your head. It has no effect on the saw ability to run.

Every time I struggle with an 031 running, starting, or staying running it ends up to be the coil and not the carb. Also, I stop rebuilding carbs on these old Stihl. I just break down an buy a new OEM carb. One other thing I do is replace the points and condenser with an electronic chip. The right chip boost a weak spark from the coil. Finding a new OEM coil for a 031 is not easy.

These saws are character builder but great once you get them running. Also, they are heavy but fun to have.

Spot on, in Australia new 031 OEM coils impossible to buy. Agree ignition troubles very common on these old saws. Fitted a import coil to my 031, this severely retarded ignition timing with backfiring and big loss of power. My 031 already had electronic chip replacing points/ condensor. Have a look at my post " Stihl saws kickback on starting" to see how to advance/ retard ignition timing, which fixed my problem.

Spot on, in Australia new 031 OEM coils impossible to buy. Agree ignition troubles very common on these old saws. Fitted a import coil to my 031, this severely retarded ignition timing with backfiring and big loss of power. My 031 already had electronic chip replacing points/ condensor. Have a look at my post " Stihl saws kickback on starting" to see how to advance/ retard ignition timing, which fixed my problem

Late to this thread, but I had the same problem with runs only on fuel in plug hole, no fix with rebuilt and new chinese carbs. Finally figured out the problem was a torn aftermarket in-tank portion of fuel line. Clue was it would run with tank chock full, but not with less than top full.8940C921-3F90-48CF-8B62-CFA05B83AB9B.jpeg

Attachments

• 30907D49-DA8F-4AD5-B7A6-9624878E4FF6.jpeg
    30907D49-DA8F-4AD5-B7A6-9624878E4FF6.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Late to this thread, but I had the same problem with runs only on fuel in plug hole, no fix with rebuilt and new chinese carbs. Finally figured out the problem was a torn aftermarket in-tank portion of fuel line. Clue was it would run with tank chock full, but not with less than top full.View attachment 1036212
Mate thats good fault finding. If you get yourself a Mity Vac kit you can pressure/ vacuum test fuel lines, crankcase seals that is a big help with problem solving.

Back