Troy Bilt 27-Ton Splitter Full Auto-Cycle Conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bball

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have owned my Troy Bilt 27-Ton for about 8 years now. The amount of wood I go through every year has continued to increase over that time. Now between my son and I, we split and burn about 15 -20 chord of mostly red oak annually. The TB has worked just fine, and I have no problems or complaints with it. I don't believe I've ever come across a chunk of wood it couldn't split (although there have been some that it couldn't make it through on the first crack, so I had to whittle away at them).

My problem with the splitter is the speed. First of all, it seems to have slowed down over the years (or I have gotten faster). I find myself waiting too long on the splitter. I change the oil and filter on a regular basis. I have not checked the cyclinder for "blow-by", but it still seems to build to full pressure, and push through tough chunks, it just seems to take longer to kick into the 2nd stage before it does. I have just started to learn about and check for possible restrictions to the flow. It also seems to extend and retract slower (even when unloaded) than it used to. Does anyone have suggestions on what I can do to speed-up the cycle-time of the splitter?

I have also seen wood splitters advertised with dual handles that say when both handles are pulled, the splitter will run a complete cycle (full extend, full retract, stop). That appears to be a fantastic option that I would use all the time, as it would free-up my hand on the control lever to handle wood with. Can my splitter be converted to operate with a full auto-cycle?

I have searched, and as of yet haven't found any information on this subject, maybe someone can point me to a link where this subject has already been covered?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back