Troy Bilt splitter engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I have a 27 ton Troy-bilt splitter with the Honda 160cc that I bought new in 2015. It runs great and only thing I have done to it in 8 years is put gas in and change oil once a year.

I only split wood for my personal use so does not get worked that hard and is stored inside an unheated shed with cement floor. Seldom takes more than two easy pulls to start, usually one!

Sounds like the 160cc Honda would work fine on my splitter. My situation is similar; I split firewood for home and shop heating, splitter stays in my woodshed. Do you have the model number? Not sure all Honda 160's are the same. Thanks,
Richard

Even though the Honda was used on later models there's no guarantee it's a bolt in replacement. Check out all the mounting info vs. what you have now. If you have some fabricating ability you should be able to make it work even if it isn't a bolt in replacement.

Good chance drilling would be all that's needed. Possibly a new pump bracket.
By the way, your listed website doesn't seem to exist.
Yes, I haven't done anything with the website since I retired, I no longer restore houses, got too old to do all that work. I worked alone. Have thought about doing a different kind of website, haven't gotten there yet.

Check the output shaft diameter and lengths of both motors. Beyond that maybe 4 new mounting holes to drill or possibly apump bracket to fab.

Just for fun I would be tempted to try contacting Troybilt and see what they say, never know some companies even these days actually consider customers to be important!

My manual gives a phone number for Customer Support Representative as (800) 828-5500 and web site of www.troybilt.com

I have the same splitter with the Honda GCV160 engine. If it ever dies, I’m going to consider the Harbor Freight Predator engines. I’ve heard decent things. Something like this. <removed wrong link>

Actually, this would be more like it.
https://www.harborfreight.com/55-hp-173cc-ohv-vertical-shaft-gas-engine-epacarb-69731.html
That Harbor Freight engine will not work, Nor will any lawnmower engine. The shafts are too long and the controls are not self contained. The log splitters have a short PTO shaft and have self contained controls, Choke/Throttle Etc. If you can find a pressure washer replacement engine, They are the same as used on log splitters with vertical shaft engines.

I see you have another thread concerning the splitter, Is this a vertical shaft engine that is on your splitter now? Or a horizontal shaft? Sometimes people are confused to waht that means.

That Harbor Freight engine will not work, Nor will any lawnmower engine. The shafts are too long and the controls are not self contained. The log splitters have a short PTO shaft and have self contained controls, Choke/Throttle Etc. If you can find a pressure washer replacement engine, They are the same as used on log splitters with vertical shaft engines.

I see you have another thread concerning the splitter, Is this a vertical shaft engine that is on your splitter now? Or a horizontal shaft? Sometimes people are confused to waht that means.
I don’t have another thread. Perhaps you were talking to OP. Are all GCV160 vertical shaft?

I hadn’t looked into the dimensions much on the predator. I guess my bubble is burst now!

Just for fun I would be tempted to try contacting Troybilt and see what they say, never know some companies even these days actually consider customers to be important!

My manual gives a phone number for Customer Support Representative as (800) 828-5500 and web site of www.troybilt.com
I emailed the local service dealer here in the Shenandoah Valley, and he is working on checking out a possible replacement for the current Briggs. Got an impressively fast reply, sent him the engine and splitter numbers, he emailed back that he would check into it some today (they close at noon) and continue on Monday. Will be interesting to see how this works. If successful, I will post results for anyone in a similar situation.

I emailed the local service dealer here in the Shenandoah Valley, and he is working on checking out a possible replacement for the current Briggs. Got an impressively fast reply, sent him the engine and splitter numbers, he emailed back that he would check into it some today (they close at noon) and continue on Monday. Will be interesting to see how this works. If successful, I will post results for anyone in a similar situation.
I emailed again, took the engine to the dealer, one of the mechanics (older, friendly guy) was assigned to check it out. He looked it over (they had no way to mount and run it), checked compression which was good, he noticed that a screw hole on the carb didn't have a screw in it. He said that the screw adjusted the carb throttle, and the hole was in the right place for a screw to do just that. So we decided that that was the problem, and I left with my engine, no charge. The newest replacement carb had screw threads in the hole, but the original did not. None of the parts breakdown showed this screw, so I assume that the screw is no longer necessary. I took the covers off and looked carefully at the governor setup, noticed that the top of the governor shaft was not threaded but had a nut on it. I took the nut off, it came off without turning; the top of the shaft had 4 flats instead of threads. I have been looking at parts diagrams, but have not seen this particular setup anywhere. If I can find this part that holds the governor arm on the governor shaft, it might fix the problem. Have at least temporarily bagged the new engine. I have a friend who got an old power washer with a Briggs 8hp on it, he got the engine running, but the pump was no good (a recurring thing on this site!). He just wants to get rid of it. First step, find the little part that holds the governor arm. I actually found in my shop a small plastic gizmo that fits on the shaft end, but it doesn't come down far enough to make contact with the arm.

I emailed again, took the engine to the dealer, one of the mechanics (older, friendly guy) was assigned to check it out. He looked it over (they had no way to mount and run it), checked compression which was good, he noticed that a screw hole on the carb didn't have a screw in it. He said that the screw adjusted the carb throttle, and the hole was in the right place for a screw to do just that. So we decided that that was the problem, and I left with my engine, no charge. The newest replacement carb had screw threads in the hole, but the original did not. None of the parts breakdown showed this screw, so I assume that the screw is no longer necessary. I took the covers off and looked carefully at the governor setup, noticed that the top of the governor shaft was not threaded but had a nut on it. I took the nut off, it came off without turning; the top of the shaft had 4 flats instead of threads. I have been looking at parts diagrams, but have not seen this particular setup anywhere. If I can find this part that holds the governor arm on the governor shaft, it might fix the problem. Have at least temporarily bagged the new engine. I have a friend who got an old power washer with a Briggs 8hp on it, he got the engine running, but the pump was no good (a recurring thing on this site!). He just wants to get rid of it. First step, find the little part that holds the governor arm. I actually found in my shop a small plastic gizmo that fits on the shaft end, but it doesn't come down far enough to make contact with the arm.
Apparently the arm is held on by the traditional horizontal bolt and nut, not sure where they got to. Now I need to figure out how to adjust the governor when I reassemble it. Anyone have experience with this operation on a 120600 (1216020331E1) Briggs?

Go to your local scrap yard and you can buy a junk motor for parts, They should have a bunch of those briggs motors laying around. Push mowers would be where I would look, The only difference between your engine and the push mower engines is the PTO shaft length and the controls, I am sure there are minor differences between the years of mfg, So have a good pic in your mind and on your phone of what you are looking for. Here where I live you can walk the yard and buy whatever you want by the pound.

As far as adjusting the governor goes, You will need a small engine tachometer, And you bend the governor to get the desired result. At least thats the way they used to be, But I'm not sure on your model.

Latest posts

Back