Troy Built 42 cc / MTD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone heard of this saw. Is it the same as a poulan?
Are they as good as an Echo?

You do realize that you posted this in the “Milling” forum?, You would probably get more replies in the “Chainsaw” forum

A 42cc saw is pretty small for any phase of milling. IIRC, Granberg recommends at least a 50cc saw for the G 555B Edging mill, and that would likely be the lightest duty you will have in milling

Good Luck in finding the information you want

Doug

The Troy Built 42cc saw appears to be another Zenoah clone. These are the smaller chassis clones with 37 to 42cc, and are based off G3800(?).
Look at Ryobi RY3714 to 3818, Craftsman S145 and many others for more examples. There is a large thread for the Earthquake clone that is based off the same Zenoah.
Build quality will vary for each clone.
I have a BlackMax BM3716 that appears to be part of the Ryobi clone family, but I haven't run it yet and have no feedback.

short answer, No
Thanks guys. So this home owner phones me today. A week or so ago he called asking for Chainsaw advice. I KNOW how THEY most often end up being mad and blaming you if they end up not liking the saw SO. I replied, I can't advise you BUT IF, you want a light handy HOME OWNER occasionally used saw WHAT I HAVE and LIKE are Echo. cs352 and cs490. This Guy is sitting on a pile of money BUT won't buy NEW. He bought USED both a cs352 and cs490. Then today phoned asking about a Troy Built 42cc saw. Im NOT IN BUSINESS and DON'T keep up with what's on the market so I had NO IDEA there was a Troy built chainsaw. So who ever it is ( someone I've never met) shows up at the Home owners house with a Troy built AND shames H.Owner. HO phones me saying a 42cc Troy Built out cuts his 50cc Echo. Since I have NO CLUE about his used saw I feel I got trapped in a mess. Fact is USED SAWS of any brand are Pick and Hope. My guess is it's the chain. HO said He tuned the Echo and it's running perfect. This bs sounds like someone pulling a tooth the dentist has not even looked at and blames dentist for recommending brush your teeth. So MY QUESTION IS ,,,,Has anyone found the 42cc Troy Built a better faster cutting saw than a stock cs490????
I'm thinking this cut dog FUkn match is rigged. Someone say Amen praize da lard. .

Thanks guys. So this home owner phones me today. A week or so ago he called asking for Chainsaw advice. I KNOW how THEY most often end up being mad and blaming you if they end up not liking the saw SO. I replied, I can't advise you BUT IF, you want a light handy HOME OWNER occasionally used saw WHAT I HAVE and LIKE are Echo. cs352 and cs490. This Guy is sitting on a pile of money BUT won't buy NEW. He bought USED both a cs352 and cs490. Then today phoned asking about a Troy Built 42cc saw. Im NOT IN BUSINESS and DON'T keep up with what's on the market so I had NO IDEA there was a Troy built chainsaw. So who ever it is ( someone I've never met) shows up at the Home owners house with a Troy built AND shames H.Owner. HO phones me saying a 42cc Troy Built out cuts his 50cc Echo. Since I have NO CLUE about his used saw I feel I got trapped in a mess. Fact is USED SAWS of any brand are Pick and Hope. My guess is it's the chain. HO said He tuned the Echo and it's running perfect. This bs sounds like someone pulling a tooth the dentist has not even looked at and blames dentist for recommending brush your teeth. So MY QUESTION IS ,,,,Has anyone found the 42cc Troy Built a better faster cutting saw than a stock cs490????
I'm thinking this cut dog FUkn match is rigged. Someone say Amen praize da lard. .
saw is only as good as the sharp chain is

Back