Trufuel vs. Stihl Motomix vs. VP small engine fuel. Whats the difference?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halligan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I used both Trufuel and Motomix. They come in an identical can except for labeling and smell the same. Now I see VP has a similar fuel in what appears to be the same can. Is it safe to assume it's all coming from the same bottling plant? Is the only difference the oil? They all claim to use synthetic with Stihl claiming to use their Ultra oil. I've heard that Trufuel uses Klotz. Anyone know what VP is using?

I've been using Trufuel for occasional use and when I store my saw's because in my area only E-10 is available. If I'm going to cut a lot of wood it's a gallon of fresh 89 octane and Stihl Ultra then when I'm done I dump the gas and use Trufuel again for storage. I tend to overthink some things but I sleep better at night.

What do you guy's think?

Last edited:
I haven't been able to tell the difference, I've run both motomix and trufuel.

Go with what you can get the cheapest.

Same here on the Island - Tru or Moto are local varieties.

I did get some VP from Bailey's, on sale last year, but haven't run it yet. As long as it's e-free; it's for me!

I stay with Aspen regardless, as the exaust from the Motomix we get here just smells bad - but of course that is just my nose.....

You're gonna have to try the new 95 Octane Husqvarna / Redmax Fuel!

I hear it gives quicker acceleration than the motomix. :laugh:

attachment.php
attachment.php

View attachment 276296View attachment 276297

I think TruSouth is somehow involved w motomix..either as a bottler or blender or both.

I think they all use the same cans more or less from a single vendor.

Troll how much is Aspen for what volume in the UK/Norway?

Aspen previously seemed absurdly expensive but this stuff is $20 a gallon or more so...

I'm getting a little reluctant to buy 5 gals of SEF since at least in some shops it seems to sit for quite a while. 2 years is a long time but judging by the dust on some...

Glad husky and RM are getting a piece of the pie.

Regardless I think we'll continue to see $4-$8 per quart

Troll how much is Aspen for what volume in the UK/Norway?

Aspen previously seemed absurdly expensive but this stuff is $20 a gallon or more so...

I'm getting a little reluctant to buy 5 gals of SEF since at least in some shops it seems to sit for quite a while. 2 years is a long time but judging by the dust on some...

Glad husky and RM are getting a piece of the pie.

Regardless I think we'll continue to see $4-$8 per quart

I haven't seen Aspen being offered in smaller cans than 5 litres, and those cost like $25-30 here. I have no idea what the price is in the UK.

Btw, shelf life isn't an issue, a few years doesn't matter.

The cans are Husky, Jonsered or Partner branded here.

Last edited:
I haven't seen Aspen being offered in smaller cans than 5 litres, and those cost like $25-30 here. I have no idea what the price is in the UK.

Btw, shelf life isn't an issue, a few years doesn't matter.

The cans are Husky, Jonsered or Partner branded here.

That is in line with the prices here, which do not have the health benefits of aspen.

I used both Trufuel and Motomix. They come in an identical can except for labeling and smell the same. Now I see VP has a similar fuel in what appears to be the same can. Is it safe to assume it's all coming from the same bottling plant? Is the only difference the oil? They all claim to use synthetic with Stihl claiming to use their Ultra oil. I've heard that Trufuel uses Klotz. Anyone know what VP is using?

I've been using Trufuel for occasional use and when I store my saw's because in my area only E-10 is available. If I'm going to cut a lot of wood it's a gallon of fresh 89 octane and Stihl Ultra then when I'm done I dump the gas and use Trufuel again for storage. I tend to overthink some things but I sleep better at night.

What do you guy's think?

VP's website said they used Motul oil but it doesn't specify which one.

So I have a Poulan that runs on 40:1 and a Poulan Pro that runs on 50:1 how does one can work for both?:laugh:

If it survives then you know it worked! :hmm3grin2orange:

Considering all the big name saw manufacturers are now selling bottled fuel I hope the day does not come when they will require you to use their bottled fuel or lose your warranty.

Just my old skool thinking, but why would anyone pay 5x the cost of fuel for something they could mix up themselves? I run through 40-50 gallons of saw gas a year I could not, nor would I ever want to afford that stuff, as handy as it may be.

Just my old skool thinking, but why would anyone pay 5x the cost of fuel for something they could mix up themselves? I run through 40-50 gallons of saw gas a year I could not, nor would I ever want to afford that stuff, as handy as it may be.

Running 40-50 gallons of fuel per year shouldn't get you into any of the trouble that most saws are having, you don't need canned fuel.

I tried a few canned fuels and found them to all be good but expensive. Now I run 100LL, cheap and good quality. Other than the slow lead poisoning I love it. I do put the leaded mix into the empty canned fuel containers. No spouts or funnels needs in the forest.

Bahahahahaha!!! They actually found suckers to pay for that stuff... hmm I wonder what I can bottle.

Latest posts

Back