try to wire auto feed plus to my Bandit 65 repowered with new kohler command pro 37hp, no success

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erwin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
If anyone has managed to get it work with the new kohler engine, plz share, Thx.

planning to replace the non-working Bandit factory autofeed with Auto Feed Plus before the season starts.

• There is no easy way to mound a mag pickup anywhere on the engine. At least I did not figure out how.
  • Tried to tee off from the rectifier input (~15-35 V AC), unstable reading, most of the time read 1000 rpm at idle, ~1/4 of the time jumps in a very large range, so not the right route.
  • Also tried to piggyback from one of the two spark plug wire with 20 coils of 18 ga wire, much better than last option. Got at least 8V AC steady signal with multimeter. Reads correct about 95% of the time, occasionally numbers double. So, have to give up for now.

If anyone has managed to get it work with the new kohler engine, plz share, Thx.

planning to replace the non-working Bandit factory autofeed with Auto Feed Plus before the season starts.

• There is no easy way to mound a mag pickup anywhere on the engine. At least I did not figure out how.
  • Tried to tee off from the rectifier input (~15-35 V AC), unstable reading, most of the time read 1000 rpm at idle, ~1/4 of the time jumps in a very large range, so not the right route.
  • Also tried to piggyback from one of the two spark plug wire with 20 coils of 18 ga wire, much better than last option. Got at least 8V AC steady signal with multimeter. Reads correct about 95% of the time, occasionally numbers double. So, have to give up for now.
Maybe a timing light pickup that has a transformer.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Equus-3595...432946&hash=item5d6d972c0a:g:sPMAAOSw-iVfMNVk

Thx for ur suggestion. not sure if it'll address the issue since I was already getting 8V stable AC reading from my own setup. However, it's cheap enough to try it. Just ordered one.

got he timing light leads with transformer today. hooked it up the auto feed plus and no reading at all. signal must be too weak for it. while there, did some more tests. it turned out that the 8V AC I reported in my OP, is only true if one of the test leads is connected to either of the two ends of my wire coil arround the spark plug wire. if I measure between the two ends, it's 23 mV. well, will keep trying on.

got he timing light leads with transformer today. hooked it up the auto feed plus and no reading at all. signal must be too weak for it. while there, did some more tests. it turned out that the 8V AC I reported in my OP, is only true if one of the test leads is connected to either of the two ends of my wire coil arround the spark plug wire. if I measure between the two ends, it's 23 mV. well, will keep trying on.
This won't fit?
https://www.kohler-engine-parts.opeengines.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=6577

That's very usefully information. I did not know that kohler makes a tach sensor for its engines. I'll look into it to see if it'll fit.

Update on this little project. Thank you Mrhemihead for the tip. It worked well with the auto feed plus. Spent all day (raining anyway) fabricating the bracket and making harness. All worth it.

Attachments

• 7584CF2C-0EBC-4603-9ACC-48B96E25AFBE.jpeg
    7584CF2C-0EBC-4603-9ACC-48B96E25AFBE.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
Update on this little project. Thank you Mrhemihead for the tip. It worked well with the auto feed plus. Spent all day (raining anyway) fabricating the bracket and making harness. All worth it.
Thinks for the update!
We seldom receive feedback like this. It may help others in a future search.

Are you able to put a mag pickup on the drive shaft? It will pick up the key slot and read rpms

Latest posts

Back