Trying to decide whether or not to cut branch overhanging house

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctone

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Had some small branches fall on house during a recent storm and am afraid one of the larger branches may fall next time. I have included pictures and a video of the branch, possibly two, which may be a problem.

The small branches which fell on the roof came from one of the branches - the smaller branch on the left fork in the video. In the Video it's the second set of branches that could be a problem.

The thicker side on the right seems to be in better shape than the thinner branch on the left. Is the main branch, coming off the trunk, before the split too thick to cut? Should I just cut the thinner one on the left? Also included some pictures. Any advise welcome.

Video link

Attachments

• Tree 1 reduced.jpg
    Tree 1 reduced.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Tree 2 reduced.jpg
    Tree 2 reduced.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 0
  • Tree 3 reduced.jpg
    Tree 3 reduced.jpg
    520.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Tree 4 reduced.jpg
    Tree 4 reduced.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 0
In oder for us to make recommendations we need to understand why the tree dropped limbs. Where they dead limbs, weak live limbs, limbs heavy with acorns. Was there any decay seen at the break points? Hacking off large limbs and leaders from a nice red oak is detrimental to the trees health. Less is better, she may only need a good cleaning.
The dark bump on the right side of the trunk is of interest.

Thanks for your reply. I uploaded a photo of a piece of the branch that fell.....when the branch fell it broke into multiple pieces. There are no leaves on the branch, it appears that the wood is in the beginning stages of dry rot.....still looks like wood but is of a lighter weight, though, it was damp from the rain.....

Took some other pics of the branches from the roof......it's hard to see detail, but the thinner left side branch has leaves growing directly on the branch but almost no leaves growing on stems away from the branch. Don't want to do any unneeded cutting....the growth on the main trunk was looked at by our city arborist, two of them, and they didn't think it was damaging to the tree...it's been there at least 15 years......Right now, the town doesn't have an arborist, only the tree companies.....and so far, they seem to just want to cut, the more the merrier.....that's pretty much been the case since being here.....over a decade....dire predictions about the fate of the tree, but thus far it's been fine...other than this branch falling...and I'm not sure exactly from which branch it fell, so I can't give details about what the break looks like on the branch it fell from......

Attachments

• fallen branch reduced.jpg
    fallen branch reduced.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 0
  • roof  tree a.jpg
    roof tree a.jpg
    578.9 KB · Views: 0
  • roof tree b.jpg
    roof tree b.jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 0
It appears that the limb that fell was just deadwood.
As an arborist I would recommend you hire a reputable tree service company to prune your oak. At a minimum have the large deadwood removed, anything over 2" in diameter. Over the roof prune out all the dead. Also consider tipping in the long lateral limbs over the house to help reduce some weight. No large trunk cuts are warranted and no pruning with leg irons.
Have them look at that trunk growth while they are up in the tree.

Looks like included bark on those limbs. You should have them removed. I have a very large red/pin oak that has dropped two enormous limbs the past few years. They were not dead.

Attachments

• 1E3B714B-46D3-48FD-B647-F7111E94978E.jpeg
    1E3B714B-46D3-48FD-B647-F7111E94978E.jpeg
    783.3 KB · Views: 0
Looks like included bark on those limbs. You should have them removed. I have a very large red/pin oak that has dropped two enormous limbs the past few years. They were not dead.
What is "included bark"? Are you referring to the limbs on the tree of the branch that fell? Thanks.

Please forgive my COVID brain but where you have a limb coming from the trunk or where limbs come off a main branch and the branches/limbs grow around the bark at their junction. It encapsulates that bark and creates a weak spot.

Please forgive my COVID brain but where you have a limb coming from the trunk or where limbs come off a main branch and the branches/limbs grow around the bark at their junction. It encapsulates that bark and creates a weak spot.
I looked it up.....took some more pictures to clarify. So the black area of the bark....this is the problem area, and may be included, overgrowth of bark? Those two branches coming from that area are the branches that are hanging over the house, the thicker one on the right being much more of a potential problem, but the thinner one appearing to have very little leaves and no healthy looking branches. It seems the main branch, before it splits (not the main trunk) may be too thick to cut? Thanks.

Attachments

• branch 1.jpg
    branch 1.jpg
    849 KB · Views: 0
  • Branch 2.jpg
    Branch 2.jpg
    787.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Branch 3.jpg
    Branch 3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Show the trunk where this limb broke away, please, for others go see.

One big white maple here local cut loose on a big old maple and actually killed the driver passing by. It was a huge lateral just like that but a tiny bit of heart rot or a hole I saw in the Action News 6ABC pics. It was not a tree showing any signs of brown rot or colored wood. Most likely some vermin got into it or ants took their toll.

If yours was solid we have seen those drop off during a dry spell of drought only on large lower lateral ones covered full with leaves and too heavy to hold it up when it got brittle and dry in that old wood.

Show the trunk where this limb broke away, please, for others go see.

One big white maple here local cut loose on a big old maple and actually killed the driver passing by. It was a huge lateral just like that but a tiny bit of heart rot or a hole I saw in the Action News 6ABC pics. It was not a tree showing any signs of brown rot or colored wood. Most likely some vermin got into it or ants took their toll.

If yours was solid we have seen those drop off during a dry spell of drought only on large lower lateral ones covered full with leaves and too heavy to hold it up when it got brittle and dry in that old wood.
I can't tell exactly where the branch fell from. The limbs are too high and there is too much foliage to get a good look. It was after some heavy rain here that the limb fell. I'm in Georgia and we've had a lot of rain. Seemed like the rain-moisture added weight to the limb, causing it to fall.

I can't tell exactly where the branch fell from. The limbs are too high and there is too much foliage to get a good look. It was after some heavy rain here that the limb fell. I'm in Georgia and we've had a lot of rain. Seemed like the rain-moisture added weight to the limb, causing it to fall.

I like @Raintree has been saying about your tree.

I see more deadwood on the ground after rains. I'm sure it is due to increased weight like you've suggested. Dead limbs fall eventually and weighing more due to water absorption is a good trigger.

Two things:
Have an arborist do a crown cleaning like Raintree suggested.
Avoid making large cuts on the tree trunk. Years down the road large cuts often cause severe problems with decay getting into the trunk of the tree.

Your tree has normally to be expected dead wood. Shedding limbs is something trees do for various reasons but a main one is to optimize canopy structure to maximize sunlight reception.

I was asking the person quoted.

Back