Trying to like my new "to me" Husqvarna 262XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yodayoda

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hello all, Last fall I dropped a tree on my favorite firewood saw 359 Husky and broke the case, anyway I was searching for a used 359 and ran across a really clean 262XP.
I remembered reading on here the 262 was a sought after saw, so I bought it.

I've been cutting firewood the last couple days and I'm really trying to like the saw. It runs really good and has a lot of power, but something about how it feels in hand, I miss my 359.
I don't know if I just need to run it more as I had my 359 probably 13 years and cut a lot of wood with it. I don't think so though as my son has a 562 I've run and I liked it immediately

I think maybe its because the handlebar on the 262 is thinner, I have tendonitis in my hands and arthritis in my fingers.

Does anybody make an aftermarket thicker handlebar? or any recommendations on wrapping it with something to make it thicker?

Thanks, Roy

Ive wrapped handles with paracord with great results. Gives it just a little cushion and feels great but it’ll begin to stink after a while from sweat. Imo the 562 is hard not to like lol.

Thats the one I never liked nor bothered with, K095 is fair enough if you have other saws that suit, but the 266 was a much better option in my opinion.
Certainly a step back in antivibe and the 2## saws were more angular, less rounded and flowing like the ergonomics of the 3## series.
Over here- you would fit a leather mitt to the front wrap bar, increases diameter- softer grip- holds your hand somewhat in the correct and safe orientation, while allowing for a more relaxed grip that still maintains control.

image3.jpeg

Ive wrapped handles with paracord with great results. Gives it just a little cushion and feels great but it’ll begin to stink after a while from sweat. Imo the 562 is hard not to like lol.
Thats a great idea I think I'll give that a try. I usually wear gloves when i cut and if it does get stinky I could just rewrap it. Thanks

Thats the one I never liked nor bothered with, K095 is fair enough if you have other saws that suit, but the 266 was a much better option in my opinion.
Certainly a step back in antivibe and the 2## saws were more angular, less rounded and flowing like the ergonomics of the 3## series.
Over here- you would fit a leather mitt to the front wrap bar, increases diameter- softer grip- holds your hand somewhat in the correct and safe orientation, while allowing for a more relaxed grip that still maintains control.

View attachment 1020539
never seen that before, where did you get the mitt?

never seen that before, where did you get the mitt?

Ive put photos up here before of them- don't think you can buy them States side, but very common here and any saw shop sells them.
There are horrible copies made from thin hard "leather", you can buy them here as an OEM Stihl product branded STIHL, get short cuff or long cuff versions and the one like in the photo are about the best bang for buck- made by Styx Mills.
Think they are pretty much a Kiwi thing and the rest of the world has not caught on yet. ;)

While the 262 is a great saw it doesnt have near as good of antivibe as a 359 or 562.
I'd sell the 262 and get a 359 or 562 or 555 if you have tendonitis and arthritis issues with your hands.
It's a sought after saw, selling it wont be an issue.
Is the 359 really that much better antivibe? The vibes didn't really seem that much different, but I've only ran it an hour at a time or so. The 562 I could tell right away it was smoother than my 359, but didn't notice that much difference from the 359 to the 262. Mainly I just don't like the smaller diameter handle I think, my fingers don't like closing that far.
A few years ago I bought a really clean MAC 10/10 from a guy at work for $100. Coolest sounding saw I've ever run and had decent power, but I ran a couple times for maybe a half hour, nope, that was enough for me. I ended up giving it to another coworker that needed a saw to clean up some property he just bought.

Does anybody make an aftermarket thicker handlebar? or any recommendations on wrapping it with something to make it thicker?

Thanks, Roy
Go to your local bicycle shop and get some handlebar tape. It is usually about 2mm thick and cushioned. You want to wrap it in the direction so that in normal use you are tightening the wrap. A mechanic in the shop can show you how to wrap it.

I'm not really a 2xx series fan to begin with. There were some decent saws, but not as nice as the 3xx series. The 359 is a solid semi pro saw with modern features, and decent power to weight ratio. The anti vibe is pretty on par with new saws imo. I keep mine around as a back up saw. Its ported and pretty gutsy saw, but coupdnt keep up with a stock 562xp. Dead reliable.
The 562xp is a great saw since the bugs got worked out of it. Really was in a class by itself when they came out. I actually had 2 of them. Was my go to saw for years. Newer versions got some updates and a decent filter. Honestly is was the best 60cc class saw out there till stihl came out with the ms400.

Hello all, Last fall I dropped a tree on my favorite firewood saw 359 Husky and broke the case, anyway I was searching for a used 359 and ran across a really clean 262XP.

I've been cutting firewood the last couple days and I'm really trying to like the saw. It runs really good and has a lot of power, but something about how it feels in hand, I miss my 359.
I don't know if I just need to run it more as I had my 359 probably 13 years and cut a lot of wood with it. I don't think so though as my son has a 562 I've run and I liked it immediately

I think maybe its because the handlebar on the 262 is thinner, I have tendonitis in my hands and arthritis in my fingers.

Thanks, Roy
Tennis racket tape should fix that problem.

If it were ME, I would look to get another 3xx saw ('57, '59, '53, or even '346xp is really nice). They are so well designed, great bang for your buck.....

OR

Sink money into a 562.

either change of plan requires selling the 262xp and using those monies to fund a more modern saw.

I think if you can get a heated handle model too that may help give some relief to the arthritis in your hand/fingers.

2-series are cool and definitely have their place in chainsaw history, they most certainly deserve respect. However unless it's a free hand-me-down saw or their use is strictly as backup or infrequent, I think there are far better modern options for daily use. This is notwithstanding the reality that parts-support for 2xx's is really starting to dwindle. Short of having a couple good equivalent parts saws I think it's worth thinking twice when it comes to use & abuse.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I found a pretty good deal on a 2159 Jonesred and bought it.
I’m going to run it this weekend and see how I like it and the different angle handle.
If I like the 2159 I may sell the 262 or try wrapping the handle to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks, Roy
Hi roy, I used heat shrink on a stihl 020t it made the handle very comfortable. You could double it up to add even more thickness, not sure if I got it off ebay or amazon but it fits over the handle easy and when you heat it with an heat gun just manipulated it on the bend, results were perfect and more like a factory finish. If I can find the link so you got an idea I will add it later. Good luck....... edit
View order details

Brand: sourcing map
5.0 out of 5 stars3Reviews

sourcing map Heat Shrink Wrap Tubing for Fishing Rod Grips Handle, 30mm Dia 50mm Flat 1.6ft 2:1 Ratio, Red​

1. sourcing map Heat Shrink Wrap Tubing for Fishing Rod Grips Handle, 30mm Dia 50mm Flat 1.6ft 2:1 Ratio, Red

On Amazon but you should get it anywhere

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I found a pretty good deal on a 2159 Jonesred and bought it.
I’m going to run it this weekend and see how I like it and the different angle handle.
If I like the 2159 I may sell the 262 or try wrapping the handle to see if it makes a difference.
You'll be posting the 262 in the trading post in no time.

You'll be posting the 262 in the trading post in no time.
😊 Maybe but I’m in no hurry, I always kinda wanted one. When I bought my 359 I read up a ton on AS and a lot of people were kinda down on the 359 and 357, comparing the H.P. And specs To the 262 I kinda get why.
I guess by all the hype I thought I would love it.
I may be open to a trade for a nice 346 XP NE or maybe a ported 359.
Kinda stupid but my other thought is it’s a pretty clean saw and if I don’t love running it I’m afraid of banging and scratching it up.
The Mac10/10 I talked about in a previous post was like new, I had a guy offer me $50 for it but wanted it to go to someone who would appreciate and take care of it. So I gave it to a coworker that’s into older cool stuff😊

Thanks again for all the suggestions on wrapping the handle. I ended up going with bicycle bar tape. I considered the heat shrink and may go that route if this doesn’t hold up, but didn’t know if I wanted anything permanent.
I’ve haven’t run it with the tape yet but it feels really nice, it’s about 100 thousandths thick when not squeezed and feels about the same as my 359.
I have been running it some last week before I taped it and it’s growing on me.
I also have been running the 2159 to compare. I prefer the handle angle on the 262. Anxious to try it with the wrapped handle but will be out of town for a week and a half44F0C9E2-39C3-4B40-8F7B-24FE6A2724BC.jpeg3781ABA9-83FC-4230-A68B-ADEDE5666E2A.jpeg

Back