Trying to optimize firewood processing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any way to take a page out of the cellar building book around the turn of the last century? They used coal chutes when people used to burn coal. Can you maybe modify a chute to fit into a cellar window to get the wood down there, then remove it and put the window back in the frame?

I have a single area for bucking splitting and stacking though I have only 5 cords stacked, not the 10-20 you would want.

I'm burning trees from my property. I carry logs from the field to the splitting area with a grapple on the tractor. Split wood gets stacked into IBC tote cages or on wooden platforms made from large pallets on blocks. (I want to build a wood shed but it hasn't happened yet). I use forks on the tractor to carry totes up to the house. A 275 gallon tote can hold about .4 of a cord if you stack it a little high to account for shrinkage. With green dense hardwood that's over 2000 lbs. It's nearing the limit of what my tractor can handle both loader lift wise and weight wise, and the tractor weighs more than the usual compact tractor. IBC totes are not the most space-efficient way to stack wood since they're only 4' high. But with them I can save some handling.
I also use the IBC totes to store and shuttle wood. I use the 330 gallon totes. What is nice about these is that the wood can be removed thru the sides to bring into the house.

Log rolled off front of log deck when loading logs, but it's expected and planned for. Drag it out and re-load onto log deck. Vice mounted on quad for sharpening.View attachment 941210
Log deck removed for clean up. The log deck framing on the right was built in 2013, made of timbers and treated plywood fastened with screws and fender washers.View attachment 941212
Splitter turned 180° so the log deck/cutting table is still useable.View attachment 941224
View attachment 941213
Log rolled off front of log deck when loading logs, but it's expected and planned for. Drag it out and re-load onto log deck. Vice mounted on quad for sharpening.View attachment 941210
Log deck removed for clean up. The log deck framing on the right was built in 2013, made of timbers and treated plywood fastened with screws and fender washers.View attachment 941212
Splitter turned 180° so the log deck/cutting table is still useable.View attachment 941224
View attachment 941213
I like your SuperSplit wagon.

That is a awesome wagon Sandhill Crane . Did you build the second axle from scratch or did you by the part from Supersplit and the modify it to turn?

Bought axle, wheels/tires from SuperSplit.
Bought the tongue, pivot (connected to tongue), turnbuckle ends from Kory. Something fabricators, that makes the Kory 3000, a 3k gvw, 4' x 8' nursery wagon that I use.
The steering knuckles are from a go-kart supply house. There is a spacer on the spindle. The go-kart spindles are nutted. SuperSplit spindle is cotter keyed.
Once I had the parts, a neighbor who has a welding shop, shortened the axle (making steer spindles match fixed axle width) and added the pivot/bushing in the leg for side to side pivot.
Relocated clevis holes in pivot plate for tracking. Replaced tongue bolt with removable pin. It all bolted up to existing four bolt leg mount holes.
I suggested to SuperSplit to offer a kit, or option, and they replied it would need brakes. I would think a wheel chair type brake could be applied.
One possible improvement might be to move the side to side leg pivot to the leg under the table, keeping the leg supporting the engine and flywheel weight ridged.
IMG_3772.jpgIMG_3861.jpgIMG_3860.jpgIMG_3769.jpg IMG_4077.jpgIMG_0090.jpgIMG_0240.jpgIMG_0246.jpg

Back