Tulip poplar leaning toward house

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanana

Reaction score
I posted about this 13 years ago when we bought our house. We have a tulip poplar that was huge then, and it's even bigger now. Because of the woods behind our house, all the branches are reaching toward our house to get to the sunlight. The branches are not that far over the house, but all the weight is pulling toward the house, and it's definitely leaning in that direction. I have always hated the idea of cutting it down, so our compromise was to cut off the three largest branches (which includes our tire swing) that are leaning toward our house. We figured this would take some weight off the side that's leaning toward our house so if the whole tree goes down, maybe there's a chance it wouldn't fall onto the house? But the leader is still leaning in the direction of our house. The tree is very healthy and hasn't dropped any branches in those 13 years, and they don't think there's a strong likelihood of it falling. But with it being a tulip poplar, I have always been freaked out during big storms. That said, the woods do provide a pretty good windbreak from the west.

We've toyed with doing this for 13 years and had our favorite tree company out three times in the past five years to consult on this and I just couldn't make a decision. This time, knowing my indecisiveness, I bit the bullet and signed a contract to have those branches taken off, but now I'm doubting myself. Should we just remove the whole tree ($$$)? We are definitely removing the oak close to it, which has root rot and is dying. Also, there is a cherry volunteer right next to it, and the tree company recommended leaving it there, which I think is kind of crazy due to its proximity to the tulip poplar. See: Pictures

A few things to consider. Large trunk cuts can introduce decay into the main stem. If the tree fails at the stump, a trunk with little foliage falls faster and harder than a fully branched tree. Branches also spread the impact load on your roof.
You can do weight reduction pruning without making trunk cuts.

A few things to consider. Large trunk cuts can introduce decay into the main stem. If the tree fails at the stump, a trunk with little foliage falls faster and harder than a fully branched tree. Branches also spread the impact load on your roof.
You can do weight reduction pruning without making trunk cuts.
Thanks for the info. I’m not sure what trunk cuts are. I posted a photo below with the branches circled in red that will be cut. Will reducing these make the tree more dangerous if it falls?

Trunk cuts refer to large cuts made into the main trunk of the tree. Your plan to remove some of the largest branches does involve this type of cut. Trunk cuts can potentially introduce decay and other issues into the main stem of the tree, especially if not done properly.

Regarding the removal of the branches you have highlighted, it's difficult to say definitively without seeing the tree in person, but reducing these might help to balance the weight distribution of the tree. An arborist would be able to ensure the tree's health isn't compromised. Improper pruning can stress the tree and potentially increase the likelihood of failure.

As Raintree mentioned, weight reduction pruning without making large trunk cuts is an option. This involves reducing the size of the tree's canopy by removing smaller branches, which can help to alleviate some of the stress on the tree.

Latest posts

Back