Tulip Tree - Dead or Dormant ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtodd54

Reaction score
I planted several trees last fall, one of which was a Tulip Tree. My Cherry, Willow and Maples have leaves... but the Tulip tree shows no signs of life.

I'm in Kansas City so I didnt know if this is considered a southern tree and would not wake up as quickly. Basically my Tulip tree looks like the stick we used to roast marshmallows with... any advice?

I hope you like marshmallows. That might be what you have to roast them with. This was a pretty tough winter in KC, atleast I think it was. I live in Colorado and it was here. I think you got most of what we got. Anyway, its one of two things. Since it is a southern tree, its waiting for it to warm up a hair more before it starts to bud. It might feel like its still cold enough to stay dormat. Or you got a glorified marshmallow roaster. So dont cut it down right away. I would wait a bit to see the out come. Maybe scrap a little bark to see if its still green. Or if the branches are brittle and dry. If its dead. It will snap. If its alive, it will have some give.
Hope its OK.
Darin

Back