Tuning Help Needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czyhorse

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I have a Husky 365 with a slight Muffler mod. I also just put on an unlimited coil. No other mods. I had it running decent around home. I went up into the mountains to cut and it had issues. it Wouldn’t run on idle. So fattened up the idle and that took care of the problem. But it is way underpowered in the cut. It gurgles (to my ear) out of the cut but the chain will stop spinning in the cut. I am cutting dead loge pole pine. This saw should fly through this wood and it is actually stopping the chain if I push it much. My chain seems sharp. It‘s throwing nice chips and not dust. Don’t know what I am doing wrong. I fattened it up a little and it helped a little but not that much. Fattened it more and that didn’t seem to help. Tried leaning it some and that was less helpful. Should I fatten it even more or lean it out for the higher elevation.

I was running a 24” bar and chain On it today. This saw should have no problem with what I am asking it to do. Ive watched one of the well known YouTube guys run a 365 in similar wood and his never stops.

do I have / need to completely retune the saw when I get up to the higher elevation (an increase of at least 4000’) or should I just be able to tweak it?

I bought this saw in Jan just for doing this type of cutting. I am a bit frustrated at the moment! I know this saw has what it takes but obviously tuning is not my super power.

You live in Colorado, so it's likely you are cutting at high altitude. I live in Utah and frequently cut at 8,000 to 10,000 feet of elevation. Your saws really need to be tuned for your elevation.

You need one of these: https://tinytach.com/handheld-tachometers

When I cut at altitude, I tune to 13,000 RPMs on the high screw/needle. This is where the chainsaw tachometer shown above comes in handy. THIS IS IMPORTANT: re-tune when you get back to your "normal" elevation or you will likely have a lean condition that can damage the saw. That's the way we roll at high elevations.

Also, keep in mind that a properly tuned saw will still under-perform at high elevation when compared to the same saw at sea level -- due to the thinner air. This is the formula for H.P. loss: HP Loss = (elevation x 0.03 x horsepower @ sea level)/1000
Take my 390XP as an example. At sea level, the specs show 6.5 horsepower. Assume I cut at 8,000 feet.
Then:
Loss = ((8,000 X 0.03) X 6.5) / 1000
1.56 H.P. lost (Saw is running at only 76% power)
My 390XP at 8,000 runs like my 372XP at sea level

JQ

Back