Tuning help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welderman85

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all i have been watching and reading alot about tuning saws. Im confused on how to set the low needle vs the idle screw. In some video they adjust the both in some they only do one?

My dealer taught me what works on the pre xt/at saws. You let it idle and turn the low speed jet in slowly till it gets blubbery and almost stalls. Then back it out one half turn. Adjust your idle speed(rpm). Repeat a second time to be sure it’s correct. ( fine tuned).
I never fouled a sparkplug or clogged the spark arrestor after that.
It works on every saw.

Hello all i have been watching and reading alot about tuning saws. Im confused on how to set the low needle vs the idle screw. In some video they adjust the both in some they only do one?
Set the H and L needles to the stock amount of turns out.
Then adjust the L needle if the saw wont idle right, notice if it is lean or rich and turn accordingly.
Then adjust the H needle by using a tach to set the recommended RPM.
The idle screw is to fine tune the RPMS lke if it stalls or runs too fast and the chain is moving.

Use the L needle to set the mixture as lean as possible and still idle smoothly (usually in until it lopes and then back out 1/8 - 1-2 turn, they’re all different), and adjust idle speed with the idle screw. It prevents you from being 4 turns out on the L and forcing it to still idle with the idle screw

Latest posts

Back