Tuning Nightmare

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1

Just replace the fuel line and the diaphragms in the carb.

Tip:

Get u a plastic ketchup/mustard bottle from Walmart. Use it like a vaccine pump to suck fuel up to the carb and quickly attach the line.

Saves a ton of pulling and priming. [emoji106]

I believe that is a reed valve engine and I have had problems with getting a consistent idle due to the petal not seating properly because the cheap plastic base it's mounted on is warped. If this is a problem there will be a lot of spit-back from the carb.

Fuel spray back up the carb is a sign the reed valve is not closing completely. Remove the reed, making note of which side is against the plastic, and lay it on a flat surface. Is it completely flat? Also check the plastic housing it seats against for nicks, scratches, etc.

I have a BenchMark branded saw that looks like that same model, different colour. Every few years, when it gets too bad, I just flip the reed over. Once had a chip of wood get sucked in and jammed between the reed and the housing, near the mounting screw. Saw ran like crap unless wide open throttle, even then lower power than normal, but it at least ran....

If you need parts, they are actually a Poulan if I remember correctly.

Looks like my poulan 2300... that was my first saw & has seen a lot of use. Over the years I've had similar issues from the above mentioned fuel line, carb, Reid valve/plastic base & also a failing clutch side seal

Fuel spray back up the carb is a sign the reed valve is not closing completely. Remove the reed, making note of which side is against the plastic, and lay it on a flat surface. Is it completely flat? Also check the plastic housing it seats against for nicks, scratches, etc.

I have a BenchMark branded saw that looks like that same model, different colour. Every few years, when it gets too bad, I just flip the reed over. Once had a chip of wood get sucked in and jammed between the reed and the housing, near the mounting screw. Saw ran like crap unless wide open throttle, even then lower power than normal, but it at least ran....

If you need parts, they are actually a Poulan

If you need parts, they are actually a Poulan if I remember correctly.
Thanks for the details I’ll check it out

Back