Tuning screw drivers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I only had a few of them, and I was so cautious not to lose them. So I decided to ask the shop if they had any spare.

“We chuck them in the bin”

He said as he proceeded to pick them out and hand them to me one by one giggling

Before a voice spoke up out of eyesite

“Hold on!”

out he comes with a whole pack

“I collect them!” He said smiling and handing me a packet.

After expressing my appreciation at his generosity and thanking him I left with a handful. Now I’ll never go short! :laughing: There is a couple of different styles in the box which is also great. The normal wide head and also a narrow head.
6DDCCFA3-E454-4493-B019-E972B520996C.jpeg2D178F91-D451-4B0F-8446-8C06473B5BCF.jpeg

However the other day i went in for something else and I found the holy grail of tuning screwdrivers sticking out of their pen holder. Once again they let me take it. Long shank, doesn’t expand out at the head (that style gets stuck trying to reach screws on the 034, 034s, 036 etc range of saws that have a plastic cover over the screws and also catches the other screw sometimes on certain carbys) shank slightly thicker than a standard so it slots in nice and securely and giving you extra length helps when tuning saws with carby screws on the recoil side where the pull handle continually gets in the way - the snobbery is real! I’ll pop in tomorrow with a bunch of mocca frappe’s for them as a thank you.

Side by side comparison:
9A5E2153-7308-4A74-AAFB-DAC14C029286.jpeg

Wow! Those are quite expensive. With M-Tronics over taking the line-up they are becoming unnecessary.
Absolutely! At a $5 dollars a piece it’s about $200 if you brought them. Though I’m sure you can buy them in bulk for cheaper, or get free if you are friendly with a dealer :p

Yes, quite right, they aren’t really used on much of the newer equipment. You know me though, anything that’s old, has character and is despised by the EPA , I love them!

Absolutely! At a $5 dollars a piece it’s about $200 if you brought them. Though I’m sure you can buy them in bulk for cheaper, or get free if you are friendly with a dealer [emoji14]

Yes, quite right, they aren’t really used on much of the newer equipment. You know me though, anything that’s old, has character and is despised by the EPA , I love them!
That's an awesome find.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I have a crapload of those, the ones I like to get a hold of are the small socket ones. It’s hard to find even a deep socket that will fit down into the recess properly.

Interesting they gave those to you. About 5 years ago I wanted a carb tuning tool from Husq dealer. The new guy at Spare Parts said no, "We only sell them to dealers". So I wandered into the workshop and the workshop manager told the guy to sell me one. Advantage of being a regular customer.

Pity it doesn't fit some other saws I have, but then often a bit of plastic or brass tube can do the job.

Interesting they gave those to you. About 5 years ago I wanted a carb tuning tool from Husq dealer. The new guy at Spare Parts said no, "We only sell them to dealers". So I wandered into the workshop and the workshop manager told the guy to sell me one. Advantage of being a regular customer.

Pity it doesn't fit some other saws I have, but then often a bit of plastic or brass tube can do the job.
I know them well now, I generally go in weekly. I rebuild saws for the owner of the shop and have a good working relationship with the front desk. Without the above they won’t give them out because I remember when I brought my first saw from them and they didn’t know me, I asked for one and they said they don’t sell them lol

I see exactly why though, too many would fiddle with the carbs, take it to the shop blown up and say “well you sold me the screwdriver!!”

I'm surprised they don't do the opposite - supply a carb tool with every saw sold then when the saw comes back woefully out of tune charge a fat fee to re-tune it
Because we are a society of people who blame everyone else for our own fault and judges side with us. Stupidity at its finest right…

Stihl used to supply one in the tool kits with a new saw.
Yes :) I got my dads screw driver, the tip was wayyyyy too thin though, you could turn it 1/8 either way inside the screw before it actually turned it. Just the other day actually, I took some off the end of it, flattened each side smooth and now it’s delightful. In fact it came with the first saw I ever used from about 20 years ago of his which I now own - that ms260 I did a rebuild on and now have here in Australia :) lovely memory. I put a meteor in there, I regret it honestly so will put a Stihl in at some point.3F297ABB-75AD-43F9-8669-5CDABD92ADA1.jpeg

No I do not.

the stihl ones look a little fancier, kind-of, but it's so simple to count turns when you have the tab. You can literally do it with your eyes closed
Absolutely, most of the time I just listen and go off sound rather than positions, but it’s a good thing to have as a reference for sure! Can’t find them anywhere :/

Back