Tw-5 puking hydraulic fluid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan LaPrad

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

I am posting looking for a little help with my TW-5 Splitter. It dumps hydraulic fluid out of the breather when the cylinder is closing. Only on the return cycle. I have checked fluid level, tried running without the filter, and am kind of stumped. I replaced the fluid and filter last year, used it without issues, up to last week. Ran find on Thursday, tried using it on Saturday at a job and this started happening. I have a call to tech support, but figured I would try here as well. Thank you for any insight!

The fluid is roughly 4" from the top of the reservoir...I can't remember how high it is supposed to be. I have a couple calls out to tomberwolf tech support, but waiting to hear back. It's frustrating because it worked totally fine one day with no symptoms, and now it's puking.

This is an older model from probably 05-06? There is not a sight glass for fluid level on the reservoir....I think the newer ones do though. I can't remember where I saw the fluid spec, I thought it was like 3 or 4" from the top to allow room for expansion as fluid heats up.

Does is puke when you move the lever to retract the cylinder, or does it start puking after the cylinder has retracted some? if it's the latter then the oil level could be too high. Are you measuring with the cylinder retracted or extended? When it's extended the cylinder holds more oil than when it's retracted so the tank level will be lower and not by a small amount. But if you have been running it for a while without issue the level is probably not the problem.

It looks like the return to tank hose goes into the fitting that is also the vent. If it pukes as soon as you move the lever, then maybe that part has malfunctioned and something is blocked.

The cylinder starts to move and the fluid pours out after it begins moving. I filled and have been checking the level with the cylinder fully retracted. I have heard the level may actually be low causing it to suck air, but, I don't think that is the case. The cylinder can be fully extended or just barely extended and it's the same result....

I should also note that this happens with the large "splitting" cylinder, and not with the lift arm or for the 4 way adjustment.

did you check the level with all of the rams fully retracted, if its puking non airated oil its likely over full or the breather is missing a bb/valve or the oil is getting too hot causing over expansion or its getting airated and needs repairs in the pump or valve

Initially when I changed the fluid, all the cylinders were fully retracted. Since this has happened I have been checking the fluid with the lift cylinder in the "halfway upright" position....that could be why I am thinking I am a little low on fluid.

The breather is basically a glorified paper filament with a plastic cap on the outside. It threads into the filter "manifold" or housing with a 1/4" screw...the bottom of the filter kind of seals around the housing, but I did not see a bb or valve on it....

If it's got a lot of air entrained in the oil causing expansion you should be seeing foam coming out the breather or at least bubbles in the oil coming out. If you shut it down and look in the tank you'd see that the oil isn't clear.

Can you remove the breather and hold the return hose down in the tank opening? Basically eliminate the breather gizmo from the system. Maybe have an assistant do it cause dropping the hose will make a mess.

I'm going to add a little bit of fluid when I get home from work today. I'm about 4" from the top of the reservoir. I imagine It's a little low due to it spilling out. I will also try to put the return line in through the top of the filter housing directly into the reservoir.

So, I added more fluid today to bring the level 2" from the top of the reservoir. The pictures I uploaded show the breather and the "sleeve" the filter sits in. I also tightened20211013_161738.jpg20211013_161714.jpg the return line. It wasn't super loose, but I was able to get some cranks on it. I noticed a "clicking" in the filter housing. Nothing super fast, but a click like ever other second while on idle. The fluid it dumped today wasn't foamy or aerated.

Attachments

• 20211013_161734.jpg
    20211013_161734.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
I also wailed on the other two cylinders today to ensure this issue was only happening with the splitting cylinder....this issue only occurs with the splitting cylinder on return...

After I made the last post, I was able to contact Timberwolf tech support. It was determined that the vest thing to do was to order a new filter housing. The housing will have a new sleeve, breather, and filter "minder". The components should be here friday

After I made the last post, I was able to contact Timberwolf tech support. It was determined that the vest thing to do was to order a new filter housing. The housing will have a new sleeve, breather, and filter "minder". The components should be here friday
So, I added more fluid today to bring the level 2" from the top of the reservoir. The pictures I uploaded show the breather and the "sleeve" the filter sits in. I also tightenedView attachment 934872View attachment 934875 the return line. It wasn't super loose, but I was able to get some cranks on it. I noticed a "clicking" in the filter housing. Nothing super fast, but a click like ever other second while on idle. The fluid it dumped today wasn't foamy or aerated.
I have the same breather vent, where you able to get a new one? Did it fix the problem bc my tw5 is doing the same thing.

for what it's worth... I had a similar issue with my home made job a while back.
I had to keep thinkin' about it while it was puking oil...
Now, let's see here... the oil was able to fit into the machine before... and now it won't..?
How is that possible? There is more oil now than before?
Yeah, dummy. it's full of air... now how in the heck did that get in there?
Oh... that suction hose from the pump to the tank... must have a small leak.
suction... air is easy to move. cold hydraulic oil, not so easy...
ok, if that is what is going on, then the problem will improve as the oil warms up.
re-did the clamp, and re positioned the hose. problem is a LOT better now.
Atleast it quit puking oil when cold...

Back