Two 660's vs One 880 or 3120

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnybar

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Fellas, I have some gargantuan Oaks to fell eventually (5'+ above the flare) and will be needing to slab them where they fall. I'm thinking with Huztl 660's being so nicely priced that a two powerhead 5'-6' cutting capacity bar might be the way to go vs an 880 or equivalent. That would be 14+ hp in theory pulling the chain. Any thoughts, theories, or first hand knowledge of the pros and cons of either setup will be greatly appreciated.

Hutzl is rumored to be coming out with a 070 kit saw. You could put a big bore jug on one of those for a big torque monster. Looks like it'd be a fun project. I'd wager one healthy 660 with a 32 or 36" bar with skip chain would tackle those trees better than a 070 would. Plus the 660 is a feather weight compared to the 070. We've got a massive cottonwood at my dads place that is going to need removal and the my 660 is gonna be perfect. Cottonwood is easier to cut than oak though.

Milling is such an expensive job to get started from nothing. With that in mind, I'd rent equipment. Or hire someone. Lots of mills around my area, and there has got to be a kid or two that would do the job on a weekend.

I already have a 36" mill and 42" bar on the 660 so, I'm in the mid size (33") milling zone already. I'm needing around 55"- 60" capacity so a 60"-66" mill is required. I can build any size milling frame for free...already have the metal and equipment, so buying a mill is not an issue. I will need to buy a good used bar or a new one but again, not an issue. The issue I am not sure of is either a two man setup or a 2nd powerhead remote control for a dual powerhead mill or a heavy single that likely will not have the same hp but possibly have some torque advantages...I just don't know on the torque component between the two. It would seem that 2 X 660 on a 60" cut would be close to 1 X 660 on a 30" cut which is easy peasy for the powerhead. Anyone that has ran both setups, please jump in.

I'd vote 3120. Very reliable and powerful saw (and we abuse one on an Alpine Magnum). I've used an 880 a little. Not impressed. Only ran a 660 on an Alaskan as a 36" single. Nobody in your area with trailer bandsaw mill or Lucas mill? Sounds like the job would take forever with an Alaskan, not to mention all the fumes you'll inhale.

i've had a couple dual setups. if you have to pack it anywhere stick to a single powerhead. both mine were 54" and i wouldn't want to handle anything longer by myself. with 2 people a dual setup would be pretty bad ass for the job you need it to do. it's doable alone but effortless with 2 people in comparison.

Latest posts

Back