Two bar questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsayen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello,

First question: Picked up a new Stihl 20" light bar tonight and noticed after the model number 3003 000 2221 there is a two-letter code suffix in its own box. I took a picture of two of what I believe to be the same bars side by side, even the SKU number matches, but one has a WB suffix and the other an SA. Is that a manufacturing lot number or something? I couldn't find any reference online. Pic attached.

Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 10.34.32 PM.png

Second question: With the 500i it'd seem I have a pretty big range of options for bars, one thing I hadn't considered until tonight because I'd always ran .325 on the 261 was the gauge. I did some searching on here and got a lot of various answers, it sounds like the .063 oils better than the .050? Is this sort of like asking what's better Husky or Stihl? I can't imagine Stihl sells bars and chains that don't oil an appropriate amount? I saw someone mention .050 might break easier than a .063 - any truth to that? The cutters appear to be the same size.

Thank you.

I try to run the same guage on most my saws for convenience. 063 may we'll oil better, but not that significantly in my experience. One advantage of running 050 is a suitably worn bar can become an 058 bar & then 063. Local availability may be worth considering too as some guages are less common in some areas.
My understanding is that durability is more manufacturer/chain type dependant. Some have thinner drive links & cutters, some just have thinner drive links, & some have 063 drive links that are gauged down for the narrower rails... & those made of crappy steel will be the first to fail regardless of guage.
As for your first question, I think you're probably right in assuming it's batch or maybe manufacturing plant related

Don't know about your first question, and up to 32" I wouldn't worry about running .050 at all. I suppose it might depend on the saw and the wood you're cutting. Over that length and the better oiling of the bigger gauge is nice to have.

.050 v .063 is one of those questions/debates where if you have to ask, then it makes no difference in your use of the thing. Pick whichever is more available and run with it.

Some .063 has extra holes in the drive link that might, in theory, hold and carry more oil. Could be helpful in long (40”+) bars, I suppose.

The issue of power is a non issue, yet people ask about that all the time. The saws that have enough power to break a healthy 3/8” loop of any gauge aren’t saws you buy at the dealer and run.

I run .050" on everything save my 36" bar. It's. 063" the bar was cheap and just gets used for real big trees or milling (normally just milling) .050" is easy to find in a pinch around here .063" isn't nearly as common.

My cousin has a stihl 084av he runs a 28" 3/8 .050" chain on it. Has a good bit more pep them my 390xp or 394xp. Never had an issue with it.
Thanks, I'm going to take the "you're going to break your .050 chain with the 500i" advice with a grain of salt then.

Going to order the .25” es light for the 500i in .050 tomorrow unless someone strongly things it’s the wrong move. Have the 20” Es light in .050 so figure might as well keep it consistent.
Personally I like going from 20" to 28". 28" can reach the ground without bending my back, but everyone has their own preferences.

As far as breaking .50 gauge chains on a 500i I run 20inch .50 gauge on 3 of my 395s and a 394 and a 3120. Only broke one chain and it worn out start with. For what it's worth I love the narrow kerf for my application least amount of wood taken the better and quicker . Good luck with it . Enjoy the 500i it will serve you well .

As far as breaking .50 gauge chains on a 500i I run 20inch .50 gauge on 3 of my 395s and a 394 and a 3120. Only broke one chain and it worn out start with. For what it's worth I love the narrow kerf for my application least amount of wood taken the better and quicker . Good luck with it . Enjoy the 500i it will serve you well .
Thank you for this! I think on the Stihl bars it's a little different as the .050 and .063 are the same width, same width cutters too. They just grind the drivers down a little bit to reach .050. That's my understanding anyway. Glad to hear you're not busting any chains with the bigger saws though. Very much appreciated.

Back