TWO brand new Huskee 22 Ton splitters with Kohler SH265 problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually only got about a 1/16" of the toothpick to go in the hole. Its very small. I would lean towards .025 or less even.

I'm glad you are getting it fixed, but I have to say, I just will NOT tolerate buying something NEW then having to fix it myself to use it!

I refuse to be an "enabler" for someone putting a POS on the market and getting away with it!

SR

I agree. Every product will have a lemon, and the fact that you gave it a second chance possibly, on that premise shows your patience. No way I would fix something that I bought brand new. Your much more patient than myself.

I definately hear you guys, but i had a job to do and needed the tool. Wood was waiting to be split and i have other things on my plate waiting after the wood.
On a side note, i ran the splitter for another 2 hours last night. It's running about 94%. It still stumbles hear and there but lightly and less often. I have some polishing rouge from a dremel kit and will try My method with rouge one more time. It started on the second pull yesterday and i split about another cord with no problems. It's a keeper. But i plan on writing the manager of my local tractor supply to let him know of the problem. I just don't know how to go about doing it without telling him my mod to the main jet, and potentially voiding a 2 year factory warranty.
Question. I'm tall and bring the tongue fairly high up to my mid wast area when pushing the splitter in and out of the shed. I noticed some gas dripping out of the carb area once i sat it down on the shed floor. Would that be normal ? I guess it's spilling out of the bowl at such an incline and during the hopp past my ramp into the shed ? Never had that happen to me on a small carb engine before.
I did accidentlly knock the bowl o ring out of the carb body the other day. I'm almost sure i seated it back in place correctly. I guess i could double check when i have free time.

But i plan on writing the manager of my local tractor supply to let him know of the problem. I just don't know how to go about doing it without telling him my mod to the main jet, and potentially voiding a 2 year factory warranty.

You did not 'mod' anything. You cleaned the jet on a carb that was not operating properly, after your second attempt with a brand new machine.

Could you use welding torch tip cleaners to finish the job?

Philbert

I'm sure i could if i had a set Philbert. Also, which are the idle air passages hamish? Sorry, only a little experience with carbs but much determination to succeed!

Uh Oh! Hooked now! Working on carb internals is a sure sign. Pretty soon you'll start gazing at the stock exhaust, thinking about all that wasted heat and contemplating a little turbocharger.....

I'd take it back and buy a higher quality splitter, EVEN if it cost me more $$... You are STLL working on a NEW machine!!

SR

Don't half of AS dream about and the other half modify brandnew chainsaws? I see no problem what so ever, but I wouldn't tell any store fellow in writing. In person is another thing, it is always easy to deny if problems should arise.

im glad i bought the husky 22 ton with the briggs on it. push the primer 3 or 4 times when cold half ass pull and it is runnig

I needed a replacement engine on my cheapo snapper rear engine rider, and was out of scroungeable used ones from the junk pile. So I got an 8 horse briggs for two benjamins at a local for-real old timey everything including hardware store. Anyway, one pull cold, no primer bulb on it.

Don't half of AS dream about and the other half modify brandnew chainsaws? I see no problem what so ever, but I wouldn't tell any store fellow in writing. In person is another thing, it is always easy to deny if problems should arise.

I have (4) chainsaws that go to the woods with me, NONE of them are moded in any way....they don't need it, as they run fine just the way they are...

I buy tools aren't "broke" and if it isn't broke, I don't fix it!

SR

Thought i would post a completion of my HOME MADE LOG CATCHER. Since i mentioned it previously.
I should also mention that the kohler runs very well now that i have polished the main jet of the carb. Although i had frustrating problems in the beginning, i would not change this Kohler version for the Briggs. I know others feel differently but other than the initial main jet issue, it runs great.

I slapped this together in a couple hours last night and primed. Finished paint this morning.
The black paint in random places is where i either welded or cut the rack during production. I made the log catcher long enough to cover almost the entire engine completely. The additional weight is about 20lbs, and is in the right spot. It's now even easier to balance while rolling around during transportation. I cut the support arms at a 15 degree angle so the catcher sits at a soft angle, allowing easier pull of the log back to the splitter.

This whole project cost me $6.50 for a can of Rustoleum Semi gloss and 2 bolts with washers and nuts. The metal was scrap i had laying around.

IMG_0873_zpsd7335dc2.jpg

Two 3/8"x1.5 inch bolts with washers and lock washers hold the rack on the splitter very well.
IMG_0874_zps8794f973.jpg

Here is it vertical. It clears the driver side tire by a quarter inch when vertical. Phew ! .. got lucky on that one. Didn't consider that during fab.
IMG_0876_zps2e5090ac.jpg

Back side .

IMG_0875_zps240d58af.jpg

I have a 28" section of this telco racking left if anyone in Upstate NY near albany wants it for free.

Thanks all for following along. I hope this thread helps others with Kohler problems and log catcher ideas.

I've got the B&S version and was expecting the cold hard start thing. It sat from Thanksgiving till Christmas covered in snow. Pumped the bulb 6 times (instructions call for 3 pumps) and it fired on the first or second pull, and before I could hit the pump again it stalled. Pumped 6 more times and it started on the first pull and kept running fine. I've got nothing but praise for my little Huskee, Joe.

Back