Two saw plan 261 and ?? 400 or 462?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Life is too short for some, I say if you can afford the cost of a new saw and the 500i is within your budget. Then get it and enjoy using it. Your happiness is important to you!

I started working on a 2 saw plan with 261cm and 462cm, sold some saws and decided buying the 500i instead of the 462cm for power to weight ratio and the occasional 36" bar. 500i using 28 and 36 lightweight bars. I'm happy with the two saws, but as cad has made its way back into my life, I also added a 361 that I rebuilt. So it starts again.....

Life is too short for some, I say if you can afford the cost of a new saw and the 500i is within your budget. Then get it and enjoy using it. Your happiness is important to you!

I started working on a 2 saw plan with 261cm and 462cm, sold some saws and decided buying the 500i instead of the 462cm for power to weight ratio and the occasional 36" bar. 500i using 28 and 36 lightweight bars. I'm happy with the two saws, but as cad has made its way back into my life, I also added a 361 that I rebuilt. So it starts again.....
The thing that I’m hung up on is the size of the saw, I for whatever reason feel like the saw might be too big for me. I don’t know why.

Yes, but the 400 is a bit lighter and more in-between. The 462 would be a fine saw, also, but I don't need two big saws. The 261 and 462 would be a great two-saw plan.

Have you held a 462 and a 400 ? They feel borderline identical in the hand as far as weight and feel. A 462 given it's power and displacement doesn't feel like a big saw at all. It's literally ideal for a 3 saw plan, 50/70/90

A 462 is almost dead nuts between a 261 and 661. A 400 is 67 cc while the 462 is 72 cc.

Alot of guys commenting on the 462 here likely haven’t run one. It’s a light saw with great AV, not as “Mushy” as a 500i’s AV. You can stiffen up the 462 a bit but adding a hose clamp and rubber buffer on the handle under the case if you want.

The 462 shares an oiler with the 500i, it’s the same. With the limiter pin knocked in, it’s one of the best oilers for its size Stihl ever made.

Its a great 1 saw plan, even better ported. Pretty perfect with a 24/25” light bar.

Have you held a 462 and a 400 ? They feel borderline identical in the hand as far as weight and feel. A 462 given it's power and displacement doesn't feel like a big saw at all. It's literally ideal for a 3 saw plan, 50/70/90

A 462 is almost dead nuts between a 261 and 661. A 400 is 67 cc while the 462 is 72 cc.
I would like to attest to this as well. I bought my 462 back in January when my dealer had the last one they were going to get in the foreseeable future. I really wanted to hold the 400 and 462 in hand the same day. That wasn't going to happen. I have my 462 with a 28" ES Light bar. I'm tall and wanted the reach.
I was at my dealer the other day and they got 1 400 in and it was sold already but not picked up. I was able to hold it though with a 20" ES bar on it. It felt almost identical to my 462 other than maybe just a hair more level. It "felt" identical, and that was full of fluid and ready to cut. I thought the frame size of the 362 would have made it feel more nimble in the hand, but it was basically the same.
No Regrets here with the 462. And I've buried the bar many times already.
I've shared this video before here but who doesn't like big cookies.

It's absolutely a great 3 saw plan. I kicked around the idea of buying a 400 until I held one.
I could get a 462 today, if I wanted one. I still balk a little at the price difference. My dealer ordered the 400 specially at my request, so I will probably wait on it. Otherwise, you have made the 462 tempting. If I bought it, I may never run my 661! :dumb2:

I could get a 462 today, if I wanted one. I still balk a little at the price difference. My dealer ordered the 400 specially at my request, so I will probably wait on it. Otherwise, you have made the 462 tempting. If I bought it, I may never run my 661! :dumb2:

I can get 462s pretty cheap, if you want one let me know.

Hello

5 full cord of firewood a year here, the 261c with an 18” bar is a great saw for that and I’m considering adding a second saw for the bigger stuff. It’d wear a 20” light bar and be used for bigger hardwood. I think I’ve read that the 400 has good anti-vibe but I’m unsure if it’s an issue on the 462 or not. Price is not a consideration. The size of the 400 is attractive as I’d likely feel like Paul Bunyon swinging the 462 around all day, maybe?
Gosh i laughed at the title. "2 saw plan" lol
I had a 2 saw plan once. Now i have probably 25 saws.

If you want to save a little money and have larger saws get a 400, if you don't have larger saws, get the 462. I have tons of saws and didn't have the 400 so i got it, plenty strong on first tank. If you don't like to change bars (like me), put a 16" on the 261, 18" on the 400, 20" on the 462, 25" on the 500i, and 28/32/36" on the 661

Attachments

• 400c.jpg
    400c.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 12
If you want to save a little money and have larger saws get a 400, if you don't have larger saws, get the 462. I have tons of saws and didn't have the 400 so i got it, plenty strong on first tank. If you don't like to change bars (like me), put a 16" on the 261, 18" on the 400, 20" on the 462, 25" on the 500i, and 28/32/36" on the 661
Perfect!

The thing that I’m hung up on is the size of the saw, I for whatever reason feel like the saw might be too big for me. I don’t know why.
I just bought a 462 with 28" ES standard bar. The only other saw I have owned is a Stihl 029 Super with 18" bar - bought new in 1999 - purely homeowner use, cutting firewood on 8 acres of woods, etc. -but recently I had a tree service deliver some large (for me) red oak, maple and cherry logs 30"+ diameter, which pushed me to the 462. The only transition issue I have experienced is getting used to moving around with the longer bar - but as far as the size and weight of the powerhead, vibration, etc. I noticed no significant difference - and am kicking myself for not getting a bigger saw sooner. Also, I like the standard 28" ES bar - my dealer didn't give me the option of swapping for a shorter or light bar (I was planning to get the 25" lite based on comments I read in this thread) but now I am glad I have the longer bar - I have had it buried with no issues. I will probably get a shorter bar - maybe 18 or 20" - to swap out when the 28" is not needed - or if I need to walk a long way with it - I can't think of any reason to go back to the 029 Super except to have as a backup.

Back