Two Speed PTO Powered Splitter ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know Prince makes some pumps but they are pricey and only 2250 psi max, but now there is another brand, Dynamic, listed by surplus center for half the cost of the Prince and makes 2500 psi max. There is a 21 gpm pump in 6 spline 540 but also a 39.3 gpm pump 21 spline 1000 rpm pump (I would need adaptor or run a pto shaft). My thought is buy the bigger pump and then run tractor in the 1000 rpm pto mode just above idle and I would get at least 20gpm at idle roughly and then if I kicked up the rpm on the tractor engine I could get the full 39ish gpm?

I went back and re-read your original post. One thing you need to know is that your tractor doesnt have the hp to pull the 39.3gp pump at 2500psi. It will take about 64hp to be able to do that. with you 46hp tractor, you will only be able to pump the 39gpm of oil at around 1750psi, which would reduce your splitting power down to about 17tons. Of course it only takes that much hp if you are building full pressure which most of the time you wont. The 21gpm pump will take about 34hp to build the 2500psi. Your 13hp as engine will pull a 22gpm two stage pump, and you can push the pressure up to 3000psi to take advantage of that 5in bore cyl you want to use. If your future plans are to add a 4way or 6 wy wedge as you suggested, you will want that extra bit of power you can get out of that 2 stage pump. The two stage pump is also cheaper than the pto pumps.

Yeah I knew it wouldnt pull it at the full psi and 39 gpm that would take 56hp but figured the pressure wouldn't go that high often. I could just let the tractor more or less idle at half speed and produce 20 gpm requiring about 29hp. I know my tractor uses less fuel mowing than my riding mower does with the 21hp engine. Actually dynamic pto pump is only like $250 about the same as the two stage. Prince Pto pumps are too pricy to consider at over $600 that's why I had bought the engine is I had originally ruled out the pto pump.

Save your tractor. . . its foolish to ad wear and burn tractor fuel when a 420cc 16hp engine can be bought for $200-$300 with a 3 year warranty.

I guess I'm one of those foolish guys... I didn't buy my tractor to "save" it, I bought it to work for me! And, I really like the way my diesel tractor slooooly sips fuel running at low RPM, with the engine over "there", instead of screaming away right by me.

I like the fact that I can instantly have the beam any height I want, and can drive right through any mud or any place I want, because it's self propelled.

I can position my wagon or trailer with it too, it works out beautifully!

Then there's the fact the 20 gallon pump doesn't have to shift to a crawl in really tough wood, it just pushed the rounds right through the 4-way....no problem at all!

I MUCH prefer to have my splitter to be a 3 point splitter!

BTW, my wife LOVES the splitter too!

standard.jpg

SR

I've never measured anything on it,

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Seems I read one time, that TW has their beams treated for strength, not just "thick" for strength... Maybe I'm wrong on that though, but they are an amazingly tough splitter!

SR

No, the 6-way was optional, and I really don't like my splits that small, so I don't have a use for a 6-way...

SR

In your first pic, you can see how they boxed the base end of the beam, and it looks similarly boxed on the wedge end as well. I would still like to know just how thick the flange is, in one pic it looks like 1/2in in other pics on the interweb, it look a lot thicker..

I checked into the price to put 1 inch x 12 inch x 8ft plate steel on the I beam. It's a little over $250 just for that plate. That's 3x what I paid for the beam. Two half inch x 11 x 8ft plates to reinforce the Web is over $200

Too bad your not near, I have several H Beams that would make a WAY "HD" splitter. Like 3/4 and 1" thick beams.

As far as force, my processor is "only" about 18 tons. I've only had maybe a dozen blocks out of well into 700+ cords that I couldn't split though a 6 way wedge.
Also I run about 40gpm of pumps on a 35hp engine. (3 pumps)

Well from what I can find the yield strength of 1 inch steel is 36000 psi, so half inch should be 18000psi. So as long as your slide covers more than 4 inches square of the I beam you would never bend it provided you have support close to the pushblock slide on the flange. I'm planning on making the push block 15.5 inch high and 15.5 inch long. So 15x2=30. 30×18000=540,000 lbs of pressure before it yields.

As far as force goes ValleyFirewood your processor I'm guessing only takes 18-20inch max diameter logs primarily being soft wood that's easy to split. I find the larger diameter the harder to split.

On a side note is it necessary to use hardened wedges on the splitter or can you just use mild steel?

Little problem with your math. Even tho your push plate will be 15.5 long, you are not applying that entire width to your flange. Only thing really putting pressure is the part of your slide that is going under your beam flange. Assuming the 2 in the 15x2 is actual contact under the flange then our math may be correct. Of course the longer the slide the more the force is spread out and the least likely the slide will cock to one side or the other. Where I think your math may be wrong is the height of the push block. The taller the pusher, the more leverage it would exert on the base multiplying the forces. From personal experience, due to the low tonnage output of your combination of previously mentioned pump choice, hp output, and cyl size, and slide lenght, a 1/2 thick flange will probably be plenty strong enough. On the other hand, if you do go with a different power and pump source to reach maximum yield, I still think your ibeam will bend, bow, and twist until it fails.

to answer your question of wedge material, I have used just cold rolled steel for several wedges and never had a failure. One way to reduce the force exerted on your beam would to be to use a narrow knife wedge design instead of a spreaer type wedge. I find a knife wedge will slice thru knots with little effort, while a speader wedge is trying to pull that knot apart and takes more power and pressure to do so. I really think a combination of a knife and spreader wedge would provide the benefit of low initial contact pressure and still provide the spread for faster splitting. Making the leading edge of the wedge long and narrow before starting the spread of the wedge I would think would make splitting easier.

Also you cant compare the processor high flow multi pump engine setup with a single flow gear pump. While the processor is capable of pumping the 40 gpm and is being pulled with just a 35hp engine, it is a multiple section pump with each section providing fluid for separate operations. Since all operations usually are not working at the same time, nor do they all require maximum pressure, the engine is not supplying 40gpm at full pressure, some of that oil is simply recirculating at very low pressure and not doing any work until needed.

Well I have decided not to run it off the tractor for now and just ordered $1100 worth of parts from surplus center to run it off my 13hp engine I have. Less speed (22gpm) but more psi. Now I'm trying to figure out if I actually need to run a dump valve on the return rod side of the cylinder. How many gpm will a 3/4 hydraulic hose actually flow? I can't seem to find an answer. I know the return port on the cylinder should have about 35gpm returning, but that's without any restrictions.

The 3/4 ports sold be ok for what you are doing. Things to consider is actual efficientcies, generally around 85%. 35gpm at 85%=29gpm. As you can see by the chart, your right in the middle for hoses versus pipe. I wouldnt buy a dump valve and dont think in your situation it will provide much, if any benefit.

FLOW CAPACITIES OF HYDRAULIC LINES

Recommended Maximum for PRESSURE LINES
(Based on Velocity of 20 Ft/Sec)
HOSE SIZE FLOW – GPM PIPE SIZE FLOW – GPM
1/4 3.5 1/4 6.5
3/8 7 3/8 12
1/2 12 1/2 19
3/4 27 3/4 33
1 48 1 56
1 1/4 75 1 1/4 93

REASE SIZE IF:
  • Oil Viscosity exceeds 150 SSU (SAE 10)
  • Oil is cold
  • Suction lines are over 5 ft. long
  • Pressure lines are over 15 ft. long
  • There are multiple fittings or obstructions in line

Well that's the chart I found as well but it just says "recommended" not the max flow a 3/4 hose will flow. I'm just thinking if my valves are rated at 25 gpm max and if it's even possible to flow 35gpm on the return stroke through a 3/4 hose then it would be overloading my valves. If a 3/4 hose cannot flow that much then I'm not going to worry about a dump valve

A 3/4 hose will flow a lot more than 33gpm. Its pressure and velocity, the more pressure, the faster the oil will flow. Trade off would be heat. Higher flows will create more velocity, more friction, and more heat. You asked about a 3/4 hose, not a valve rated for 25gpm.

Back