Two stroke fuel ratios

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes that’s on deal too, even cheaper at $12.
I have very little experience of either, but I find the activ smokes a bit less. Maybe because it’s thinner?
We have Castrol 2T available here only FB rated & $14 a quart so sorry no go . Used Castrol 2 cycle oils back in the day for dirt bike usage . It was decent , but many better FC & FD oils today at that price or less .

Used to run MX2T, no dye. Added a second dose to a gas can more than once, because running 16:1 is a lot better than 128:0.
I had an old seagull 2 stroke outboard boat engine that the manual said 16-1 motor oil, that was back in the day before lots of brands of 2t oil came out. it would leave an oil slick on the water very environmentally friendly but thats what they were back then. Easy to start, smoked but never failed, them old seagull engines are still around. makes you wonder these days if its more about emissions than engine protection, whatever the jaso rating

Feb 20, 2002
By a member "Dagger".

Let me Mention a couple a things from an engine developers view...
first..the wrongs...
NO the 50:1 was not forced upon us by EPA regs!
HEAT WAS THE CULPRIT..
JEEZ,... and air-cooled 2 stroke saw engine is NOT really aircooled..75 to 80 %of the cooling is effected by the fuel,,the remainder by air.
As we were struggling to get our RPMs up higher than the other guy..but still having to give a warranty as demanded by the sales dept, alot of things came in to consideration..
keep down the heat...a cooler engine last longer!
FACT: GAS cools BETTER than oil
FACT: GAS burns better and cleaner than oil (no , we didnt care about smoke)it was unburned deposits in the combustion chamber, ending up in the ring grooves and on the piston walls causing siezures...and oh man..we had alot a that in the early days
we found nika-sil helped keep the heat that was building up in the walls from transferring to the piston...which we could keep cool by the fuel on BOTH sides of better than we could keep the jug cool. (*** below)..( no , it wasnt to make the bore slicker!)

FACT: the design CLEARANCE TOLERANCES and rpm level and side load factor dictate how much oil is needed..tighter tolerances...LESS OIL FILM THICKNESS..meaning less required in the ratio..we can caculate a volume requirement from this...
in other words % air/fuel (about 28 to one for highest cylinder pressure) X CFM's( that engine is just an air pump right?)
convert that to a volumetric measurement of your choice and we know how much fuel we have going thru the engine...now.in that much fuel, we put in the amount of oil need for lubrication..as dictated by above criteria..add a certain safety factor..(industry standard of 1.25 to 1.5 ) to help us get thru the warranty period whilst all them "EXPERTS" were fooling with the carb adjustments to make em run faster.
that is how manufacturers determine the recommended ratio
NOW..convince the public that MORE is NOT BETTER!
we have been trying to do that for years!
RULE..
a leaner oil mix ratio has better cooling properties than a heavier ratio. DUE to higher volatility (evaporative properities) of gas than oil.
unburned oil looks like varnish and gets "painted" on the piston skirt/sides..this in effect makes the piston "bigger" in the bore and decreases the thickness of the oil film.
This will lead to premature failure..

Why would a manufacturer, who must guarantee his equipment, recommend anything other than the absoulte BEST ratio for it?
Why would a manufacturer spend countless dollars on service schools for their dealers trying to explain just why a higher ratio/MORE oil is bad?

Some a you guys give me bad dreams!
There you have. Someone that makes sense. Most saw|engine manufacturers have their own in house branded oil and would love to sell more by getting that gas:eek:il ratio to have more oil.
More oil is more heat period. Get an infrared thermometer and see for yourself. Heat kills tight tolerances and moving parts.
I had a multi burn 2 1|2 ton military truck that I would run on old motor oil. Made good power with it but my exhaust has temperatures would get way up.
Oil burns hot.

What I find crazy is the Evinrude E-tec outboard boat engines. Anyone chiming in on this thread would sh#t themselves if they knew how little 2cycle oil those engines need. Under a constant load at wide open throttle to boot. 1000s of hours on many of them here at 100:1

What I find crazy is the Evinrude E-tec outboard boat engines. Anyone chiming in on this thread would sh#t themselves if they knew how little 2cycle oil those engines need. Under a constant load at wide open throttle to boot. 1000s of hours on many of them here at 100:1
Yep , my brother inlaw has one . Fills the oil reservior once a year lol.

He better take care of it, won't be getting another.

The oil is injected where it’s needed, not just mixed with the gas where the oil droplets can land wherever they may

There you have. Someone that makes sense. Most saw|engine manufacturers have their own in house branded oil and would love to sell more by getting that gas:eek:il ratio to have more oil.
More oil is more heat period. Get an infrared thermometer and see for yourself. Heat kills tight tolerances and moving parts.
I had a multi burn 2 1|2 ton military truck that I would run on old motor oil. Made good power with it but my exhaust has temperatures would get way up.
Oil burns hot.
None of it actually makes sense. Saw carbs have adjustable jets for a reason. If they’re running hot, it’s lean and needs to be richened.

Go put 1000 hours on a 562 (or any strato charged Husky) with average o p e oil at 50:1. It’ll cost you 3 sets of bearings.

Oil burns hot.
There is a lot wrong with that...
For starters oil has a higher heat of evaporation than gasoline. It then stands to reason that it would take more heat out of an engine to combust it as vapors burn and liquids dont?
The reason engines run slightly hotter is because they make slightly more power with more oil.
As for Daggers comment on tolerances. Yes, tighter tolerances do leave less room from oil. However the tolerances on a air cooled chainsaw are pretty sloppy. Second, running more oil is about replenishing the oil that is combusted or expelled from the motor. The higher the rpm and load the more oil you need and make no mistake saws run at very high rpms. Thirdly, running more oil is about protection from corrosion via residual oil and protection of the rotating assembly at sustained high rpm and load. You can argue this last point, but studies have been done using oil doped with radioactive dye to measure migration time and it is as I have stated.
One last comment. Prior to strato charging bearing failures in low hour saws where much more rare than they are now. Which makes sense given that there is much less oil moving through a strato engine.
At the end of the day run what you want, but these are the facts.
Also keep in mind that most dealers setup saws pig rich and most guys can't tune a saw to save their lives. Running a saw pig rich pushes much more oil through a motor than a small change in ratio. A large swing in temperature does the same. How many of you guys stressing about running a little more oil through your saw are also tuning daily? How many of the same even know how to tune a saw properly are what a proper state of tune even is?

The oil is injected where it’s needed, not just mixed with the gas where the oil droplets can land wherever they may
And their is no fuel in the bottom end.
Also they run at 100:1 only with the reprogram for running Evinrude XD100 oil.
They also have a storage feature in the computer which floods the motor with oil for storage.

None of it actually makes sense. Saw carbs have adjustable jets for a reason. If they’re running hot, it’s lean and needs to be richened.

Go put 1000 hours on a 562 (or any strato charged Husky) with average o p e oil at 50:1. It’ll cost you 3 sets of bearings.
I will one up. None of it is actually true.
And Dagger for a engine development guy doesn't understand the basics..

We have Castrol 2T available here only FB rated & $14 a quart so sorry no go . Used Castrol 2 cycle oils back in the day for dirt bike usage . It was decent , but many better FC & FD oils today at that price or less .
I see about zero reason to run a FB oil when much better choices are available at reasonable prices. In fact IMO its stupid.

Serious question... has there ever been a highly controlled experiment in a 'lab' environment to demonstrate whether using more oil actually creates a more 'lean' running condition? Which I'd expect to show up with an oxygen sensor in the exhaust, and also measuring engine temps, and RPMs? I'm not an engineer or scientist, just a homegrown mechanic and tinkerer.
Like was mentioned already, a better ring seal from extra oil will also make more power, so it could be difficult to prove either way?
I'm one of the weird tinfoil-hat holdouts that refuses to believe more oil leans the air / fuel ratio, but I don't get into arguments about it. It just seems based on speculation and theory without real-world evidence.
But.... I'd love to actually see the results of a controlled test!

Serious question... has there ever been a highly controlled experiment in a 'lab' environment to demonstrate whether using more oil actually creates a more 'lean' running condition? Which I'd expect to show up with an oxygen sensor in the exhaust, and also measuring engine temps, and RPMs? I'm not an engineer or scientist, just a homegrown mechanic and tinkerer.
Like was mentioned already, a better ring seal from extra oil will also make more power, so it could be difficult to prove either way?
I'm one of the weird tinfoil-hat holdouts that refuses to believe more oil leans the air / fuel ratio, but I don't get into arguments about it. It just seems based on speculation and theory without real-world evidence.
But.... I'd love to actually see the results of a controlled test!
Adding more oil only leans out your air to fuel ratio if you don't alter carb tuning parameters. The effect is rather snall.
No need for any test on this.

The load put on the engine and the air temperature both have more affect than changing between any of the ratios we commonly
use. With a carb set with a crisp tune, changes in temps and load on the engine may require you to tweak it throughout the day if you really want the most from the engine.

Back