Two-Stroke Oils: All the Same?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cases of Go! 2T I picked up last week are refined by BP. BP has three US refineries https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp/c...iness-factsheets/bp-refineries-fact-sheet.pdf

What difference might there be between the process of the US refining at Whiting and Toledo where this 2T is processed? Canada does not have any BP refineries as I can tell and only 7 exist worldwide where the Toledo-Husky refinery in Ohio is now sold to Cenovus.
I would presume the manufacturing recipe & process should be consistent within all BP refineries accordingly . However , Ben works within a oil refining facility , so I would defer to his opinion within this matter brother ! ;)

The cases of Go! 2T I picked up last week are refined by BP. BP has three US refineries https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp/c...iness-factsheets/bp-refineries-fact-sheet.pdf

What difference might there be between the process of the US refining at Whiting and Toledo where this 2T is processed? Canada does not have any BP refineries as I can tell and only 7 exist worldwide where the Toledo-Husky refinery in Ohio is now sold to Cenovus.
I don't have any inside knowledge of BP, but I believe both of those refineries are setup to run Canadian Heavy oil, which isn't usually used to make lube stocks.
I wouldn't also assume that BP even refines the oil that goes into their two cycle oil. The co pany I work for has several refineries and we don't refine a single drop of lube stock. We buy it from others and blend it with additives bought from some other company.
If you guys realised how small the lubricants industry is it would probably supprise more than a few. Mobil for instance has the market cornered on certain weight esters and PAO's. Where do you think Amsoil buys their stocks from?? And that's just one example.

I don't have any inside knowledge of BP, but I believe both of those refineries are setup to run Canadian Heavy oil, which isn't usually used to make lube stocks.
I wouldn't also assume that BP even refines the oil that goes into their two cycle oil. The co pany I work for has several refineries and we don't refine a single drop of lube stock. We buy it from others and blend it with additives bought from some other company.
If you guys realised how small the lubricants industry is it would probably supprise more than a few. Mobil for instance has the market cornered on certain weight esters and PAO's. Where do you think Amsoil buys their stocks from?? And that's just one example.
Thanks for the insight , good to know !

Great choice. Echo Red Armor is possibly the best you could have chosen.

I'd be fine running any JASO FD oil, as long as we're talking air cooled equipment.
I’m finally seeing the light! I’ve ran Stihl silver bottle for years in my blower and trimmer and believe it or not they’re loaded with carbon. Not going down that road with my newly acquired saws.

Funny my negbors have 60 years old two wheel tractors and they have never seen any special treatment - quite on the contrary, still running though...

Not politically correct at all, but I don't have kids - and I might live for like ten more years if I'm lucky.
I care about earth I really do, but I'm just a poor man - not really payed to make decisions or have opinions for the future generations.
I leave the decisions and the inspiring word that will guide the world to a better place - to the rich people.

It's a two-stroke engine. Runs on gas, not rocket science. An almost unimaginably endurance through all kinds of times.
Just keeps on running...
You failed to mention they were 2 stroke engines in your original post and I'm sure that's why Ben asked what they have in common with saws.

You failed to mention they were 2 stroke engines in your original post and I'm sure that's why Ben asked what they have in common with saws.
I did think he was referring to a 4 cycle engine.
Regardless of all that those low speed engines have little in common with a chainsaw.

Back