Two-Stroke Oils: All the Same?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That depends. If I'm using Red Armour I will run it at 40 or even 50:1. If I'm using Hp2, Yam 2R I will run 32:1.
I have started using Yam2r why do you mix it richer? I've only ran maybe 2 gallons so far at 50:1 and everything seemed fine. I did adjust the carb to what I think is right. I just cut firewood for myself so don't put lots of hours on my saws. Thanks

Where does Red Armour source its ingredients from Mobil 1?
Phillips 66, which has a history of making great two cycle oils. They also make Honda Hp2 I believe.
With that said I've never in my life seen an oil that has as much residual as Red Armour. I have no idea what the secret to that is.

I have started using Yam2r why do you mix it richer? I've only ran maybe 2 gallons so far at 50:1 and everything seemed fine. I did adjust the carb to what I think is right. I just cut firewood for myself so don't put lots of hours on my saws. Thanks
I think it works best at that ratio and I have used it for many years in a variety of motors at that ratio.

I like how Stihl's synthetic blend is FD, but their full synthetic is only FB.

This was by design. Ashless oils can not meet FC or FD. That and the 4mix piece of garbage motor doesn't has issues when running low ash oils.

Phillips 66, which has a history of making great two cycle oils. They also make Honda Hp2 I believe.

With that said I've never in my life seen an oil that has as much residual as Red Armour. I have no idea what the secret to that is.
I should also eat some Crow and say that when forum member @Redbull661 first brang up Red Armor leaving a ton of residual regardless of ratio I thought he was full of crap. That was until I tried it. He was absolutely spot on.

Its very good in the RXL in premix @ 50:1 , unfortunately my other sleds are fine with the Interceptor injector oil. The Red Armor may get a trial in the Dolkitas & Husky xp's that are currently running Dominator @ 44:1 . My other homeowner saws will continue with Saber @ 50:1 . I think , i will try the milling 660 @ 40:1

It's a shame that Red Armor is not
available in EU .Probably of some stupid EU regulation.
And I also do not think that is actually available ,under a different name .
I never ran red armour long enough to know much about it. I used more 7000 then anything milling with good results. I see TM released a few new videos and one covered that mix oil. I ran it at 32-1 twice on hot 98* days tuned near 13K milling with pump hightest e10. It barely burned it all in hardwood with 42" bar buried. Cool day same mix was spewing oil out the muffler. Put the pipe back on, nope. Had to drop back to e10 87 40-1 and it cleared up. Now I mix it 40-1 and the pistons are happy. Rings are clean and free. Nothing else to be concerned about.

In a traditional 2 stroke (346, 395, 066, MS440…), a portion (20-25?%) of fresh fuel purges spent charge from the cylinder and out the exhaust.

A strato saw packs a layer of fresh air on top of the next incoming transfer charge and purges the spent exhaust out with that first-incoming strato air.

On a conventional 2 stroke, the purging fuel also already went through the bottom end. On a strato, that’s 20-25% less oil and gas that never went through the bottom end
Your doing maths again

I never ran red armour long enough to know much about it. I used more 7000 then anything milling with good results. I see TM released a few new videos and one covered that mix oil. I ran it at 32-1 twice on hot 98* days tuned near 13K milling with pump hightest e10. It barely burned it all in hardwood with 42" bar buried. Cool day same mix was spewing oil out the muffler. Put the pipe back on, nope. Had to drop back to e10 87 40-1 and it cleared up. Now I mix it 40-1 and the pistons are happy. Rings are clean and free. Nothing else to be concerned about.
If your spewing oil like that you were tuned too rich.

I've used HP Ultra few years ago in the chainsaws and brushcutters of my small landscaping business.
Nope.
Very expensive ,very "dirty" for the
engine and the muffler ,lots of headaches on the crew.

Husqvarna XP+ we used next ,
was a very good mix-oil.
No smell,clean guts and muffler ,
no bloody headaches and engines
run velvety smooth .
Some of the crew still use it.

Myself and the rest of the crew we jumped on the Amsoil Saber wagon long ago.At 50:1 .
Spark plug is clean ,bluish film of oil is clearly visible covering the skirt of the piston ,with some naptha/kerosene the muffler washes clean ,inside out ,
almost to brand new state.
And can't just be the idea of
at least five of the crew that
the engine seems to run with
more power .Or at least
that sounds like it
has gained power out of nowhere .

Stihl's square 3.3 mm black
nylon weedcutter string is a
bargain for just 55€ the roll
of 228 meters.And quality is tops.
HP Ultra is the exact total opposite...A very expensive green
syrup that pretends to be a 2T mix oil and gives you worse headaches than cheap beer.
ROF... cheap beer bwaaaaaaa lol

Back