Tyre For Splitting Efficiency

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Witterings

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
If anybody's using a tyre to split their logs in and tried a few different ones over time any idea what size I should try and get hold of although I guess this is also going to be limited by the size of round I'm going to mount it into as well as the size of round I'm looking to split .... a lot of them are around the 10" size although I get quite a lot of smaller as well which I could just put several in at the same time.

I'd really like to get a bigger tyre that I could put a few 10" rounds into but then you've got the problem of what to mount it on that won't split when the axe goes through, I recently screwed some scaffolding boards onto a pallet to make a bigger area and spread the impact so it didn't split each slat but it made fairly short work of the board underneath (put the grain the wrong way which didn't help) when it split the log fairly easily.

I put three rounds on end in a triangle, so the tire’s about waist height And lag bolted the tire to the stumps. With water drainage holes. I’m not swinging bending my back over as much. I used a larger car tire with minimal rubber, The lowrider look car tires. Scrap Tires are free at a tire store, just try a couple different ones.
really makes life easier if you hand split. I only re-split a few at a time. Most of them go through the hydraulic splitter.

I put three rounds on end in a triangle

That's a good idea ... thank you for that, I may even find a hardwood board to put underneath and bolt the rounds to making it easier / a sled for if I want to move it around and can lift it vertically so it can fit beside my log store out of the way.

Latest posts

Back