Unhealthy-looking Sugar Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 114034

Reaction score
Hello,

We had several trees planted in our very tiny Ontario, Canada backyard in October 2012. The two largest are sugar maples, and they are both planted within 25ft of each other, and receive the same sun/water/etc. One of them seems to be unhealthy, with slightly furled, brownish leaves. As we have a warranty for one year, we would like to know if this is a problem, or just due to it being a newly planted tree. I have attached picture below.

Unhealthy tree (tiny tree next to it is a chanticleer pear tree)
View attachment 297934

Healthy looking sugar maple
View attachment 297935

We were told at first just to water it more, which we did. We don't see a change. Also, both trees are in the same environment, so I would think they would react the same.

The person we purchased them from told us to scratch a bit of bark of with our finger and look at the tree beneath it. If it's green she said it is okay, but if it is yellow then it is dying. I have never heard of this, so would like your input if this is correct.

Appreciate your help!

Kate

Probably not a good sign that a tree in that situation looks that far behind the other tree. Many times in my experience the people who sell the trees will tell you anything but, let me just come look at the tree it may be dieing. Especially when they have agreed to cover there trees for 2-5 years or whatever with replacement.

I don't know if its worth paying an arborist or a botanist to come look at the tree, that tree would cost me about $100 and the same to get into the ground.

Thank you Raintree and B Harrison. I think we are going to have to ask them to replace it. I've never heard of chlorosis, but I'll mention it to the tree-people.

Unfortunately, we woke up this morning to find that the "healthy" tree had a limb down! One of the branches seems to have broken, and we're not sure how since the weather has been fine. Maybe a fat cat sat on it...

Back