Unintended opening of a double action carabiner...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zebco Kid

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello All,

I’ve seen a lot of tutorial videos now where the host talks about carabiners having the ability to accidentally open. I had yet to experience that, and couldn’t quite imagine how that happens. I had my first experience with a double action carabiner coming loose due to the action of the rope, and how the carabiner was situated against the tree. I was using a mulitSaver with a ring on one end and a roller carabiner (double action) on the other. This has become my cambium saver of choice, and I carry two on my saddle. I noticed as I arrived at the tie in point that with each ascending movement, the movement of the rope (DRT) was causing the carabiner to shift against the tree, causing the barrel to roll to the open position. I imagine the lesson is: triple action whenever possible, triple action when pressed against a body that can cause unplanned opening of the carabiner, improved crotch selection that doesn’t include carabiner contact with any limbs.

Any other advice/thoughts?

ZK

Hello All. A follow up to the post above. I own two DMM Revolver carabiners. One is Locksafe (triple action), the other is Quicklock (double action). I hadn't noticed the difference when I purchased them. Big difference in safety it turns out. Triple action all the time when life safety is in play...which is always.

I'm pleased to say that I contacted the company from which I made the purchase. They're happy to make an exchange. All good...and getting better all the time.

ZK

Attachments

• EFB65364-4D10-4241-998B-9DC1312E253C.png
    EFB65364-4D10-4241-998B-9DC1312E253C.png
    213.3 KB · Views: 11
Hello All. A follow up to the post above. I own two DMM Revolver carabiners. One is Locksafe (triple action), the other is Quicklock (double action). I hadn't noticed the difference when I purchased them. Big difference in safety it turns out. Triple action all the time when life safety is in play...which is always.

I'm pleased to say that I contacted the company from which I made the purchase. They're happy to make an exchange. All good...and getting better all the time.

ZK
Thanks for sharing. New to climbing and sucking up information. Very helpful

Good morning, Stonewoodiron,

Glad I could help. That lesson was one of those situations where I read how carabiners could accidentally open, but couldn't really imagine it happening. Quite perfectly, I could see it happening as I was ascending the rope, and with each movement, I saw the barrel roll and the carabiner partially open. Phew!

Also...With the long days, I am climbing nearly every day after work. I am learning a ton through trial and error. Some days are definitely more satisfying than others. Sometimes, the whole event is a cluster "F" while I get tangled and gear caught in the tree. That situation then becomes the purpose of the climb, i.e., untangle and retrieve the gear. Other days, my movements are fluid and efficient, and I employ new techniques I learned through YouTube tutorials from all of the reputable and experienced arborists.

As I've figured out more what I like to carry on my saddle, and developed a rhythm to my climbing, things are becoming more enjoyable...and less work! One item with which I'm having a lot of fun is a homemade grapnel hook. I've used it to retrieve both the throw line as well as the climbing line, allowing me to access anchor points that were not reachable from my position without the device.

ZK

Attachments

• A2F91FE3-5390-4722-A1B6-3E7A84567EB8.jpeg
    A2F91FE3-5390-4722-A1B6-3E7A84567EB8.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
Good morning, Stonewoodiron,

Glad I could help. That lesson was one of those situations where I read how carabiners could accidentally open, but couldn't really imagine it happening. Quite perfectly, I could see it happening as I was ascending the rope, and with each movement, I saw the barrel roll and the carabiner partially open. Phew!

Also...With the long days, I am climbing nearly every day after work. I am learning a ton through trial and error. Some days are definitely more satisfying than others. Sometimes, the whole event is a cluster "F" while I get tangled and gear caught in the tree. That situation then becomes the purpose of the climb, i.e., untangle and retrieve the gear. Other days, my movements are fluid and efficient, and I employ new techniques I learned through YouTube tutorials from all of the reputable and experienced arborists.

As I've figured out more what I like to carry on my saddle, and developed a rhythm to my climbing, things are becoming more enjoyable...and less work! One item with which I'm having a lot of fun is a homemade grapnel hook. I've used it to retrieve both the throw line as well as the climbing line, allowing me to access anchor points that were not reachable from my position without the device.

ZK
Easy to see you have a lot of passion towards climbing! I went up for the first time yesterday using spurs in a large dying cherry in my yard- so much fun! Looking to use ropes only to access trees without damaging them. Have a large Beech that I’m obsessing on climbing. Clever hook idea. I’ll make one for the arsenal! Awesome we have this site to share and learn. Be safe

Back