Unique chain design

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm meeting for the first time. But the photo is very successful. Also, I just wanted to know. I will do this. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on what this is. Thanks for sharing. :) @Vintage Engine Repairs

Like everything, it’s a bit of a gimmick to boost sales and raises prices. Will it cut better? Maybe, But nominally at best. Especially compared with the increased cost.
Corporate America/world always has to reinvent itself and give the consumer something new and innovative. But the older I get it’s hard to stray from a tried and true basic design. Stick a new bell or whistle in front of us and we will buy it.

Just my antiquated two cents 😂

you get 4 cutting faces on the file i guess, it guarantees a 30deg rake angle if you hold the file flat on the link
whereas round filing a radial rake can give an inconsistent angle, depending on the amount of hook you end up with (hollowgrind principle)

knife-blade-grinds-650x488.jpgtool-terms.jpg

this looks great. I’d be very interested to try it out. Lots of questions but I’d try it out if it isn’t stupidly expensive.

Looks like it would be way easier to file. For someone like me who can’t file worth a damn I would consider it
I have square filed one chain once and after that I said f-it, round ground is the only way I'll file. But, like you said, this thing looks way easier than square filing.

So, when hand filing one of these new fangled chains which has got dulled, apart from getting the horizontal angle and tilt correct now I'll have to worry about the file's axial orientation - no thanks.

I see a marketing ploy here. Didn't watch the video but maybe next expense will be a special file holder to go along with the expensive files, or a whole new world of grinding wheels.

I'll be waiting until the pro sawers convince me there's a real advantage to this Hexa system. Can't see any myself.

I think it's designed to be a combination of easier to file & square ground.
The files axial orientation (& height) should be set by the flat on the bottom following the flat in the gullet of the cutter... So in theory, as long as you can keep the file flat while you work all you have to worry about is maintaining the top plate filing angle.
Kinda like the husky roller guides, but without a guide & for a square grind

Latest posts

Back