Unique chain design

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chains should,nt be soft enough to file anyway imo, you dont file sharpen wood chisels or drills (you have to grind them)
it would mean having to use a battery dremmel to sharpen onsite tho, but chains would last a lot longer if made from drill/chisel hss

chains should,nt be soft enough to file anyway imo, you dont file sharpen wood chisels or drills (you have to grind them)
it would mean having to use a battery dremmel to sharpen onsite tho, but chains would last a lot longer if made from drill/chisel hss
I am pretty sure I have filed on the auger type wood drills. Chainsaw cutters have a Chromium layer that is or contains the actual edge. May actually be a chromium alloy?

If they were too hard to be cut with a file- you would be leaving fractured teeth in the kerf of the cut.
If you can swing your mallet (remember, you should not be hitting a wood chisel with a steel hammer) at the same speed as a cutter moves on a chain at WOT, best of luck to you- but there is a reason chain steel is not HSS- it is hard enough to do the job, but soft enough not to fracture.

A couple years ago a guy in idaho rolled up to a stop sign it hit like a light bulb now its just coming to market after being tested a far.

Kinda like flippy caps..
I don't know why people hate on them, they are easy to use, and i've never had one break or open when in use. I have had old style ones be tightened with a screw driver so i can't open them by hand, not be tight enough and vibrate open, or the slot gets flogged out over time..

I broke one on an overfill of the chain oil reservoir. A screw cap just gooshes over, a flippy cap can retain the oil and break when even lightly forced. A replacement was about 15 dollars here. My mistake, but flippy caps are an overengineered solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I have no issues with screw caps. Occasionally I need the scrench to loosen a cap. Never had one fall out. Rarely have one too tight. Occasionaly need to replace an o-ring Is all.

I broke one on an overfill of the chain oil reservoir. A screw cap just gooshes over, a flippy cap can retain the oil and break when even lightly forced. A replacement was about 15 dollars here. My mistake, but flippy caps are an overengineered solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I have no issues with screw caps. Occasionally I need the scrench to loosen a cap. Never had one fall out. Rarely have one too tight. Occasionaly need to replace an o-ring Is all.
interesting. I often over fill and have never had that issue, it just pushes out the excess.

I now use a husky jerry can and that never over fill

interesting. I often over fill and have never had that issue, it just pushes out the excess.

I now use a husky jerry can and that never over fill
When I overfill I find the flippy will not properly close. Won’t break. Just won’t lock in place. The lock will engage on the cap but it will push itself out of the reservoir. I have to pour out a little oil then clean the area and usually it will then close. Haven’t had one leak on my pants but I always double check when filling. I would rather have regular screw on caps but what can you do.

Well, OP posted about the new Stihl chain, and subject somehow deviated to the flippy caps... (which I like)

I received my two chains (one 20" and one 24") for my 461s. Can't wait to test them

Back