unloading firewood blocks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedar Row

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heat two buildings; house and shop and haul firewood blocks from the woods in a pickup with a camper top with side windows. Have aways loaded/ unloaded the up front blocks (8"to 24",mostly toward 8" nowdays).
I have several types of tools including two pickaroons, 2' and 4'. Now that I am 76, the front blocks are getting hard to unload. I have looked for a long pickaroon that would reach the front of the truck bed, found an interesting looking 6' one, but turns out that you have to buy 3 of them. Others take weeks or months to ship and are pricey. Anyone know of a source for a long hookeroon,or a hack using a shorter one? I may be the only person who hauls firewood blocks in a truck with a camper top. But handling the blocks from the tailgate to the splitter works really well, and a hook on a long handle would make the front blocks much easier to unload.Firewood in truck.jpg

I heat two buildings; house and shop and haul firewood blocks from the woods in a pickup with a camper top with side windows. Have aways loaded/ unloaded the up front blocks (8"to 24",mostly toward 8" nowdays).
I have several types of tools including two pickaroons, 2' and 4'. Now that I am 76, the front blocks are getting hard to unload. I have looked for a long pickaroon that would reach the front of the truck bed, found an interesting looking 6' one, but turns out that you have to buy 3 of them. Others take weeks or months to ship and are pricey. Anyone know of a source for a long hookeroon,or a hack using a shorter one? I may be the only person who hauls firewood blocks in a truck with a camper top. But handling the blocks from the tailgate to the splitter works really well, and a hook on a long handle would make the front blocks much easier to unload.View attachment 1045536
Pickaroons we call them hookaroons, getting older saves a lot of bending, my small one I use all the time, the bigger one is a stihl not used as much but a handy bit of kit.

I have several types of tools including two pickaroons, 2' and 4'. Now that I am 76, the front blocks are getting hard to unload. I have looked for a long pickaroon that would reach the front of the truck bed, found an interesting looking 6' one, but turns out that you have to buy 3 of them. Others take weeks or months to ship and are pricey. Anyone know of a source for a long hookeroon,or a hack using a shorter one? I may be the only person who hauls firewood blocks in a truck with a camper top. But handling the blocks from the tailgate to the splitter works really well, and a hook on a long handle would make the front blocks much easier to unload.View attachment 1045536

Rather than a fancy store bought one, why not get a straight 1 1/2 inch stick or maybe a shovel handle and put a 4" lag screw through it(drill an undersized hole first). this one isn't going to be your main tool but just for a few that are way in.

Rather than a fancy store bought one, why not get a straight 1 1/2 inch stick or maybe a shovel handle and put a 4" lag screw through it(drill an undersized hole first). this one isn't going to be your main tool but just for a few that are way in.
Good idea, I have thought of many alternatives but not that one.

I have three long reach wood working tools. Rake, hoe and a three prong fork type. All three are old steel heavy duty units. I welded each head in a eight foot piece of half inch black gas pipe with a tee threaded on the working end for grip. Unloaded a lot of wood with each one.

Back