Upgrades for 046 mag

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

Reaction score
Best upgrade I ever did for my Stihl 046 was a dual port muffler. I also added an outside bumper spike because I used it for lots of noodle cutting. It was my favorite saw at the time and a "friend" found out that I really liked it. He stole the saw and I have never seen it since.

slowcar281

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got done doing some upgrades to my 046. I deleted the base gasket, and sealed it with loctite 518. Installed a new meteor piston as well. Shaved .020 off the flywheel key. Bought an oem pre epa 044 muffler with the big exit hole and added a dual port muffler front cover. Blocked off the decompression valve with a plug and added one of those D pull handles.

Saw runs great, definitely seems to have more power than stock

Mafun464

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got done doing some upgrades to my 046. I deleted the base gasket, and sealed it with loctite 518. Installed a new meteor piston as well. Shaved .020 off the flywheel key. Bought an oem pre epa 044 muffler with the big exit hole and added a dual port muffler front cover. Blocked off the decompression valve with a plug and added one of those D pull handles.

Saw runs great, definitely seems to have more power than stock
Big issue with changing piston is it has a brand new old stock slug and jug so nothing exciting happening. Dual port muffler sounds like a good idea though. Love this saws but could be cause it was my godfathers

Lightning Performance

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
modify the lower transfers, deck the cylinder and stuff a weisco piston into it
So reduce the transfer port time and put in a heavier short life span piston?... hum

Tell us your just being a smartness, right?

Modifying the lower transfer ports does what?
Help me out, please.

sawfun

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have an early D chamber 046, I'm not sure it can be improved on for a stock saw. Later saws, porting is probably it. Maybe a HO oiler.

Latest posts