Upgrading Stump Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonhilburn21

Reaction score
I have been grinding stumps for about 2 years now as a side job. The machine is a Vermeer 630B and it was given to me from my father in law. To me its a good machine for what Im using it for, something to make a few extra dollars when I'm home especially when there is no overhead. From what I have read on this website, it is a second rate, outdated machine. It has become obvious over time that it is slow and not very capable of handling big or multiple stumps which is ok with me at the time.

But i am considering upgrading to something that can be a little more profitable and obviously faster and more efficient. I am home 14 days at a time and would like something I could turn 4-5 days of work into 2-3.

Any suggestions are helpful

I have been grinding stumps for about 2 years now as a side job. The machine is a Vermeer 630B and it was given to me from my father in law. To me its a good machine for what Im using it for, something to make a few extra dollars when I'm home especially when there is no overhead. From what I have read on this website, it is a second rate, outdated machine. It has become obvious over time that it is slow and not very capable of handling big or multiple stumps which is ok with me at the time.

But i am considering upgrading to something that can be a little more profitable and obviously faster and more efficient. I am home 14 days at a time and would like something I could turn 4-5 days of work into 2-3.

Any suggestions are helpful
What would speed you up? Faster grinding or positioning?

I have a 630a & a sc505 tracked. Have had a 665a that I put a 70hp diesel on. Been around the 252 and 272.

Being faster on the grind is a product of horsepower and sharp teeth... period. Your tow behinds have better chip capacity due to design. Are also cheaper.

My reason for going to the sc505 is mauverability. Ever backed up 3x and were still in the wrong spot? Also chasing roots was a pita. I did several whole lot jobs, one had like 26 stumps around a house. Hooked the grinder to a 4x4 tractor to move around.

Its my opinion as a semi pro grinder (its a part of what I offer) is that you make your profit by being able to easily & quickly get to the stumps with the self propelled. No getting in and out of the truck 6 times per stump. The rest is what works for you, do you have alot of gates to go thru etc.

Btw greenteeth rock, they are my tooth of choice!

Back