Upper half of my tree is dead over last winter.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zogman

Reaction score
Me and my wife bought this house six years ago and this tree was planted on the property well before that it’s probably been planning to 20 years so it’s been well established. We don’t know winters in Wisconsin can be tough We noticed in spring that this tree started to show signs of the upper half was dead and then the lower have started having shoots come out to try and overtake the area on the upper half. Right now it’s kind of big and bulky and the lower half were the trunk is everything is trying to grow in order to stay alive. Is it better for me to cut the upper portion off or Am I better off just letting it do it’s thing?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 25
Here, I hope this helps? It did fine for multiple years ( I imagine 7+)

Attachments

• 6F2D7AB4-9002-43A9-8C0E-3E71ADFFCB1D.jpeg
    6F2D7AB4-9002-43A9-8C0E-3E71ADFFCB1D.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 22
The gravel or actually just stones as this was part of a stone garden and the most of The Garden had the stones removed this summer after the upper half of the tree went dead. The area has good drainage but yet is watered occasionally and has good nutrients in the soil.

1 your tree is a catalpa tree , its not uncommon to get a dead branch , in its structure and it needing to be trimmed out. 2 whats weird is its usually not the leader coming out the top. . not saying it can't happen, but odd. 3 that sprout off the base is different. its not a root sucker, but maybe a injury in teh cambian layer.lettin the wild sprout emerge. 4 i would cut teh dead part off and hopefully a new leader would emerge and trim the sprout. you may want to grab some seed pods and start them in a bucket, just in case your tree, decides to chek out. 5 maybe roots are girdling or hitting some wall of concrete or maybe you had a lightening strike.

Back