Used chip truck checklist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forget on the 6.4, but the 6.7 has a "change oil" deal on the computer and it normally comes on at around 9-12k miles.

Can't seem to edit, but wanted to ad the 6.7L doesn't have the DPF, EGR or piss juice injection, all that is gone, so I'm sure that helps.

Can say "oil is cheap" but a 3k oil change on 100k is 30 oil changes vs 10 at 10k.

3 gals of oil @ $24 a gal, $20 for a filter... that's almost 2k difference, or nearly 0.02 a mile.

Yes, a few years ago we did. Ran it up to 25k miles, with changing oil filter at 10 and 20k and it came back fine still. Also did a 24v CTD and 1.9L TDI with similar results. That was using 5w40 Schaeffer on the CTD and Rotella on the TDI, Delo in the Ferd.

The "severe" service is pretty much worst case scenario. Cheap oil, and just running the crap out of it in terrible conditions.

I'm sure I have the papers somewhere but I'm not digging through boxes in the shed to find old paperwork.

Interesting. Really surprised the oil is good at that mileage, but if you are using a good filter and running at a constant speed for long distances it makes sense.
I do short hops (2-3 miles each way) loaded down, averaging about 28 mph give or take. I use Delo too, I saw a noticeable and consistent decrease in wear metals when I switched from Rotella 15-40. Do an analysis every other oil change.

Only thing that worries me ever is fuel dilution. I change it when it hits .5% in my 7.3 Powerstroke, which is about 3200 miles. Technically the oil is still good, but I can get the stuff for $15/gal and a filter is $18. Makes me feel a bit better.

Sounds like a gas engine would be better suited for you. My deliveries are anywhere from maybe 10 miles round trip to 400 miles. Most are 40-100 miles.

Sounds like a gas engine would be better suited for you. My deliveries are anywhere from maybe 10 miles round trip to 400 miles. Most are 40-100 miles.
I got the truck for cheaper then a gasser. Days I need it, I need it. I have months where I don't unhook a trailer except to go to the grocery store. I usually gross 15k for my deliveries, a bit more if I am doing construction jobs.

Latest posts

Back